General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just a bad day? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-27 8:34 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Just a bad day?
just started really training about the last 3 weeks. Typically run about 6 miles / day 3-4 days a week at a 9:00 - 9:30 pace. Today I set out to step up my game and go for a hour and a half run instead of my typical 50 minutes - 1 hour run. I just didn't have it...only made it 8 miles at a 12 minute pace because I had to walk intermittently.

Is that normal? Do you just have bad days sometimes?

I felt like I should be constantly improving and took a step back today. I wasn't tired I just didn't feel good and couldn't get into my typical groove. My body wasn't telling me to stop I just felt off for some reason.

2015-05-27 8:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Just a bad day?
Most of the time I train it's sort of a serrated pattern. I make some gains then I lose them. As long as there's a general upward trend I'm happy. For instance today I rode my Mountain bike. It started to hail on me. Here's a brief video: Hail I didn't consider today a good day.

Edited by NeilsWheel 2015-05-27 8:52 PM
2015-05-27 9:05 PM
in reply to: colemanmedina

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Bad days happen now and again. Try again. If it persists, switch it up with some other activities or even take a couple of days off.
2015-05-27 9:41 PM
in reply to: #5118540

User image

Franklin, TN
If you've ramped up you mileage fairly quickly then the cumulative fatigue is going to kick in at some point. That's why you see a lot of training plans incorporate an easier week every 4th week. Your body needs a bit of recovery. I felt the same way on one of my long runs during the build phase of my HIM training. You need to slow down a bit for your long run and/or incorporate a recovery week into your training. Heat/humidity can also affect your performance.
2015-05-27 10:28 PM

User image

You are going to have good days and bad days.

I suggest keeping a training log with workout and diet information. Then when you have a bad day you can look back in your training log and see what might have caused it.

The suggestions that you might be increasing your mileage too quickly are certainly valid.
2015-05-27 11:02 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

I have a bad day about every 2 weeks, I swear!

It could be any one of a million items:
Didn't sleep well night before
Ate too much for lunch
Didn't each lunch
Drank a couple beers the night before
Too hot out
Too cold out
Wearing wrong training clothes
Work blew up and I am doing run/bike/swim at time of day I was not expecting.
Rushing to get workout in
Sore/fatigued from previous workout
Have too much on my mind from work/kids/dog/house projects/etc

Often it is the last one. My mind is just not in my game. I am just trying to hurry through the workout to get back to everything else that needs to get done.

Shake it off, get motivated to try again another day.

2015-05-28 12:16 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
That is a big step up in time so it doesn't surprise me that you felt tired! Normally I increase my long runs by no more than 10-15 minutes a week when I'm building mileage.....and I've been running for 35 years! Beyond that, a lot of random things influence feelings of effort and well-being when running. As others have mentioned, things like what/when you ate, cumulative fatigue from others runs/workouts, weather, mental state, etc. etc. Every once in a while I'll have a run where a distance I normally can do easily just seems like an eternity. Sometimes there's no obvious reason why. It just happens. And going over an hour can be intimidating for a lot of newer runners. If your run is approaching 90 minutes, it might also help to take in a few calories in the form of sports drink with some sugar or a gu if you feel like you're "running on empty" at the end. And make sure you are hydrating enough.
2015-05-28 7:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

My guess would be not enough fuel to keep your body going. I can work out fine for a hour without water or energy drink. Anything over a hour and my body starts to feel the effects of not fueling my body. Get some Heed, Gatorade or some type of energy mix to provide some fuel for your longer runs.
2015-05-28 7:13 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by colemanmedina

just started really training about the last 3 weeks. Typically run about 6 miles / day 3-4 days a week at a 9:00 - 9:30 pace. Today I set out to step up my game and go for a hour and a half run instead of my typical 50 minutes - 1 hour run. I just didn't have it...only made it 8 miles at a 12 minute pace because I had to walk intermittently.

I felt like I should be constantly improving and took a step back today. I wasn't tired I just didn't feel good and couldn't get into my typical groove. My body wasn't telling me to stop I just felt off for some reason.

I would suggest that the answer is trying to do too much, too soon. Instead of going from 50-60 minutes to 90 minutes, perhaps go to 60-70 minutes.

Shane
2015-05-28 8:10 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

Originally posted by gsmacleod

Originally posted by colemanmedina

I would suggest that the answer is trying to do too much, too soon. Instead of going from 50-60 minutes to 90 minutes, perhaps go to 60-70 minutes.

Shane

This. I admit I often ramp up volume quicker than "experts" suggest however going from a max of 60 minutes to 90 minutes is way too much too fast. Follow Shane's advice. Add volume slowly over time.
2015-05-28 8:25 AM
in reply to: #5118555

This happened to me repeatedly at the end of last summer - I finally took a pregnancy test and found out why!

2015-05-28 1:27 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

It's also about building consistency at this point.  As has been mentioned in any number of threads the goal to becoming a better runner is not really about running longer (at first), but about being consistent.  That means running easy, thus being able to run often.  When I first started I would just go out and run longer and harder in an effort to improve - not the way to do it.  Manage your effort levels, don't build the mileage/duration too quickly, and don't worry about the harder efforts till you've got some base miles/months of running in your legs.

2015-05-28 1:53 PM
in reply to: 5stones

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by 5stones
Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by colemanmedina just started really training about the last 3 weeks. Typically run about 6 miles / day 3-4 days a week at a 9:00 - 9:30 pace. Today I set out to step up my game and go for a hour and a half run instead of my typical 50 minutes - 1 hour run. I just didn't have it...only made it 8 miles at a 12 minute pace because I had to walk intermittently. Is that normal? Do you just have bad days sometimes? I felt like I should be constantly improving and took a step back today. I wasn't tired I just didn't feel good and couldn't get into my typical groove. My body wasn't telling me to stop I just felt off for some reason.
I would suggest that the answer is trying to do too much, too soon. Instead of going from 50-60 minutes to 90 minutes, perhaps go to 60-70 minutes. Shane
This. I admit I often ramp up volume quicker than "experts" suggest however going from a max of 60 minutes to 90 minutes is way too much too fast. Follow Shane's advice. Add volume slowly over time.

x3.

Andrew, you can get away with building volume more quickly, because you've got years of endurance training under your belt.  In other words, you've trained at x weekly volume many times before, so you're more durable than someone who's "athletic age" (number of years training consistently) isn't as great.

2015-05-28 7:27 PM
in reply to: #5118607

User image

New user

Really appreciate all the advice. Sounds like the general consensus is too much too quickly. I'll tone it back and stick to my plan. I'm just an addict...if some is good them more better, in everything in my life...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just a bad day? Rss Feed