General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Legend Endurance Tris Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-01 9:50 AM

User image

Subject: Legend Endurance Tris
Anyone hear how the registrations are going for these? Taking a year off the longer course stuff due to injury, but am hopeful they do well enough to be back in 2016.

Has anyone doing them seen a start list?

Edited by kuatb 2015-06-01 9:50 AM

2015-06-01 9:53 AM
in reply to: kuatb

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
Subject: RE: Legend Endurance Tris
I heard they are over 1000. That is for all four distances, aqaubike, and relay. I also heard that there are way under 100 people for the 100 mile distance. I guess we wont really know until this weekend since they probably wont post a start list. As always, we will be out there camping. Look for the dancing bananas on the run course.
2015-06-01 10:08 AM
in reply to: joncolby

User image

Is that just for this weekend or all 4 over a 1000?
2015-06-01 10:15 AM
in reply to: kuatb

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
Just this weekend. They have a 100, 70, oly, sprint, aquabike, and relay. Over 1000 people registered is the number I heard.
2015-06-03 10:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Looks like the water is down and we'll get to swim into some floating trees! Excited for a fun day! Watch out for bananas on the run course...
2015-06-03 3:57 PM
in reply to: m.a.burghart

User image

You guys and your bananas, this is not Reddit!! Keep it clean!

2015-06-03 4:18 PM
in reply to: #5119492

User image

Veteran
Team Banana Hammock will be represented at the 4 distances. We will also be present in the run course I have a feeling!
2015-06-07 9:03 PM
in reply to: #5120245

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Soooooooooo.... How was it? Interested in how everyone did and the race as a whole...
2015-06-08 11:26 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Was wondering the same thing, sounds like it went really well, which hopefully means it will be back next year.
2015-06-08 11:29 AM

User image

Wichita
Been a while since I have been on this site but I did run this race.

Our group of people were a little frustrated with the confusion on the courses pre-race day. On the swim the original map talked about the 4 different courses but only showed 2, same with the bike course and run course. But on race day I thought they did a good job of explaining everything. They had set up the course for the 70 to swim 1.2 and it was different from the map but it was well explained.

One thing I think they need to correct is either the number of different race lengths or do sprint and oly different days than 70 and 100. A lot of people were bringing their bikes out of transition and clogging up the road for the bikers in the 70 and 100 heading into transition. You had bikers going down one side, runners going up and down the other side and misc. people walking down the middle of the road or on the bikers side. Luckily no one got hurt that I know of.

Other than that I had a lot of fun at the race. I thought they did a good job on the run course with aid stations and markings. I just didn't like having to run by the finish line and not finish lol.
2015-06-08 12:20 PM
in reply to: npenner02

User image

Veteran
Olathe
Originally posted by npenner02

Been a while since I have been on this site but I did run this race.

Our group of people were a little frustrated with the confusion on the courses pre-race day. On the swim the original map talked about the 4 different courses but only showed 2, same with the bike course and run course. But on race day I thought they did a good job of explaining everything. They had set up the course for the 70 to swim 1.2 and it was different from the map but it was well explained.

One thing I think they need to correct is either the number of different race lengths or do sprint and oly different days than 70 and 100. A lot of people were bringing their bikes out of transition and clogging up the road for the bikers in the 70 and 100 heading into transition. You had bikers going down one side, runners going up and down the other side and misc. people walking down the middle of the road or on the bikers side. Luckily no one got hurt that I know of.

Other than that I had a lot of fun at the race. I thought they did a good job on the run course with aid stations and markings. I just didn't like having to run by the finish line and not finish lol.

I didn't race either, in fact haven't in a few years, but I did spectate yesterday. One of the things I did hear A LOT was poorly marked turn around points on the bike course, heard a lot of guys rode extra miles due to it.

I too commented to my buddy, that the congestion on the hill down to transition was a FlusterCluck, I am really suprised that no one got hit by a cyclist or a cyclist wreck because of people walking up the hill oblivious that there was still a race going on.

It seemed like, from my observation, that there were virtually no volunteers on the course, directing traffic. There was maybe one person at transition directing people where to mount and dismount the bike and the marking was a dark blue line on gray asphalt, virtually impossible to see, and I was standing right at the line.

Again, I didn't have a dog in the fight, but those were just some of the things I observed and overheard.

2015-06-08 12:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
It was a good time. Certainly a lot more tame than the circus that Ironman brings to town. I missed the turn around by about a half mile. Not a big deal, it probably cost me one spot in my AG and overall. I know some others missed turn arounds as well. It really isnt hard to have a volunteer stand at a turn around and tell people. The Oly turn around was in the middle of a down hill which could be prevented.

I was just there for fun anyways. Raced in a banana hammock. I thought it was well done, especially for their first event. Food was non existent for sprint and Olympic athletes. They did have free beer.

Camping was fun, just not as many people as in years past. which is a shame, because that is what makes that run course bearable. Our group certainly had a good time and hopefully helped the athletes going long forget about the pain for a few seconds.

Edited by joncolby 2015-06-08 12:51 PM

(Legends1.jpg)

(legends3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Legends1.jpg (78KB - 9 downloads)
legends3.jpg (97KB - 8 downloads)
2015-06-08 1:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Please note Mikec123 drank that beer at mile 4 of the half marathon...
2015-06-08 2:15 PM

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
It was hot and windy. Bike course turnaround markings weren't an issue on the 70.3, plenty of time to see them when you are only going about 5 mph uphill & into the wind. I liked having multiple distances, despite the logistical issues it causes, I'd guess it doubled the number of participants over a 70.3 alone, I'll speculate that might be the difference between a long term event and one that fizzles out after a year or two.

As for my race, after I spent a couple miles walking early on in the run I realized my race was pretty much over, stopped for a few minutes to hang out with the Hammocks and rejuvenate with a brew then continued on my way, amazingly able to manage some sort of shuffle/jog the rest of the way. Thanks for the brew guys! Also worth mentioning the many folks at campsites with hoses spraying us down on the run.

Yesterday I figured it'd need to be winter before I'd consider doing that race again but I'm already thinking about next year, hope it was enough of a success for the promoters that they do it again.
2015-06-08 2:42 PM
in reply to: mikec123

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I thought about just stopping at the Hammock tent and taking a DNF during that run! I barely took a glance at the course maps they posted on their FB page so I basically relied on course markings and it turned out I was fine. Plenty of aid stations on the bike and run course. I got a flat around mile 25 or so. My one CO2 cartridge in my gear bag was EMPTY from another ride. Luckily an athlete riding by asked if I needed something so he stopped and threw me a cartridge. After that I just did a moderate ride stopping at every aid station on the bike course, chatting some with the volunteers.

I had a PR swim though

The Hammock crew added a little life to the party, good fun!
2015-06-08 4:05 PM
in reply to: mikec123

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

I had no trouble with the 70 course and its markings, but I can easily see how they could be missed. Campground still seemed reasonably busy compared to previous IMKS years. Lots of hoses out spraying people and one guy who was really into the music he was blasting at his campsite. I enjoyed hanging out at the Hammocks tent. I may just rent a spot and blast music myself and cheer people on next year instead of putting myself through all that pain.

Next year's participation will be interesting should there be a IM St. Louis 70.3; which was tentatively scheduled for this same weekend had it gone forward.

2015-06-08 4:35 PM

User image

Olathe, KS
I thought it went off really well, particularly with the weather curveballs that the organizers had to deal with. Transition was pretty tight due to the high water and I believe they had to modify the run course as well (I think it was supposed to go out to the "asphalt beach" as it has in the past, but headed South along a trail to a turnaround instead.)

I'm just coming back to the sport after about 18 months off, so I did the sprint. I agree with previous comments about the logistics of having so many different distances. It could work in some venues, but it's difficult at Clinton when the only way to get from transition to your car is to traverse 2 miles of roads that are part of the bike AND run course. I made it without incident, but I could see how there could be problems.

My only other small complaint was with the sprint bike turnaround. There's really nothing the organizers can do, but it just ends up in a really bad spot on the back side of the dam hill. I tried to signal very clearly that I was turning and hug the left side of the lane, but I still had a close call with a olympic racer flying by.

On the positive side, with all the real athletes doing the longer distances, I backed into my first ever multisport age group award.
2015-06-09 8:37 AM
in reply to: rageeumr

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Yeah, one thing I remembered all day was the fact that they dealt with the weather. The water was really high, everything was muddy, and I thought they did a great job with the adjustments. The section of road leading to transition was really busy with people walking and getting their gear out of transition ( I was one of them). I am a bit surprised no one was injured.

My only two gripes were the bike turnaround on the bike for the olympic distance, which was right in the middle of a solid downhill and not well marked or manned (but accurate for distance) and the fact that they forgot to turn on the AC.
2015-06-09 10:44 AM
in reply to: IMHusker

User image

Wichita
I'm kind of surprised about people talking about the turnaround on the olympic bike. There was only one guy there but he was yelling and I thought it was easy to tell that it was the turnaround with the sign in the middle of the road. Just my observation. Granted I was really looking for the turnaround because I was ready to turnaround! lol I wasn't a fan of the location of the sprint and olympic turnarounds but it is what it is.

I was a little worried about the turn with the longer distances going by and most of them were faster than me. I worried about it at the sprint because they were slowing down and I was hauling going down the hill. It all worked out and I guess you just have to pay attention and pray you make the right choice.

I did have a friend who on the 2nd loop for the run he ran bike into the bike transition because he was confused about the run course. With the high water the run course was difficult to navigate.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Legend Endurance Tris Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Legend Free State 100 Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by Justin Scheele
Views: 1219 Posts: 1

2015-03-31 11:21 PM Justin Scheele

IMKS/Legend Triathlon Course Ride

Started by m.a.burghart
Views: 988 Posts: 7

2015-04-22 9:37 AM m.a.burghart

Legend Endurance

Started by kuatb
Views: 1314 Posts: 6

2015-01-23 1:45 PM m.a.burghart
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 9, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
The consensus is that caffeine does enhance performance and decreases perceived exertion in endurance exercise. There are no significant performance benefits in short, high-intensity exercise.

date : July 2, 2006
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
Gut check! Striking a balance between your two loves can make and keep the relationship strong.