General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How does the swim start? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-01 6:33 PM

User image

Subject: How does the swim start?
I'm doing my first sprint tri in 2 weeks. I'd like to know how the swim is timed. I've been tracking my swim time when i start my laps and when i end them. But im starting on a beach for the tri. So when does the clock start for the swim? Should i expect a longer swim "time"?
I can only imagine that between running in, swimming, other people, and getting back out, that my time will be more than the time it takes in the pool to do 800 yds.
Any other tips to make my swim leg efficient?

2015-06-01 6:52 PM
in reply to: interspace8

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: How does the swim start?
Timing is from the gun until you cross the timing line (usually on the run in to T1). I think you have a handle on this, do not underestimate how much different swimming in an OW race is from doing laps in a pool. Lots of jostling, getting kicked, and no line on bottom of pool to help you swim straight. All of this conspires to make your speed substantially less than in a pool. For example, I am a pretty reliable 1:25-1:30/100 yd in the pool, strive to hit 1:50/100 in a sprint.
2015-06-01 7:02 PM

User image

Is it a wave start or TT style start? If it's wave they will send you out in groups of male/female and depending on the size of the race break it down by age groups. If it's TT style they will start small groups of say 5 at a time. The RD will use a horn , yell or possible have a starters pistol to let you know when to go. That's when the clock starts. Depending on the structure of the race there may be a timing mat when you exit the water. Usually on the beach it's not until you get to T1. That will determine how close your swim time will be. You can usually tell by looking at past results. The swim itself will depend on conditions and current. Most races try to have the swim down current if possible so that could speed up your time. If you're not a strong swimmer line up on the outside or wait and let everyone go. One thing to note, watch the current to determine where you line up for the start. Most people will herd together somewhere on a close line to the first turn marker. If the current is ripping that will make you have to swim harder as opposed to using the current to your advantage by lining up a little farther down.
2015-06-01 10:28 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Extreme Veteran
I don't know why this video always cracks me up: Swim start
2015-06-02 7:19 AM

User image

Survive your first tri, don't bother trying to figure out what you're going to do it in, just go. Seriously.

After that you'll have a much better idea what's going on.
2015-06-02 7:36 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Races vary but in general the "swim time" shown in results includes some amount of running from the beach to the water, then out of the water to a timing mat, sometimes at the entrance to the first transition, which could even be a few hundred meters away. If you're interested in your time for just the swim, you can check your split when you stand up, or when you exit the water. At times in my races there has been as much as 30 seconds difference due to how the timing mat was set up.

Yes, you can generally expect OWS times to be slower than pool times. There's the matter of "traffic" in the water, plus navigation (most people don't swim perfectly straight), plus possibly currents working against you, and many courses are not perfectly accurate either. In the pool, I can swim a 1500m in 25 minutes and change without a lot of difficulty (about 1:40-1:42/100m) and hold a 1:42-1:43 pace for nearly 4 km on a good day, but my best time in a tri swim has been about 1:45/100m (oddly, in one of my longest races). In fact, my longer races are often my faster ones. Go figure.

Weaker swimmers may find that some the of factors above are cancelled out by the extra buoyancy of their wetsuit, so their times may be similar or even faster than pool swims if the swim is wetsuit legal. There are just too many variables to call.

2015-06-02 8:20 AM

User image

New user
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Swim your own race and don't worry too much about the time. OWS distances vary tremendously from race to race so a 1500m at one race could be a 1200m at another or a 1900m at another. It can also vary from year to year depending on the location, currents, tides, etc. Ultimately judge your time based on the field, not on what you are used to swimming in the pool -- because in the end you are all doing the same course.

If it is a deep water start, If everyone is on one buoy, I try to move towards the other buoy (which is usually less crowded) for the start. This allows me to swim my own race and not have to spend time getting run over by faster swimmers or swim over/around slower swimmers.

Siting is key -- if you can swim straight, it will make your swim that much easier and that much faster. Good luck!
2015-06-02 8:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Exton, PA
You mention it's a beach start, so I assume it is an ocean swim. If so you may have to worry about getting out through the waves, make sure you have practiced getting through the waves. I've seen lots of people DNF because race morning had some good size breakers and they could not get past them. Make sure you practice getting through the breakers before race day.

Edited by mike761 2015-06-02 8:27 AM
2015-06-02 12:17 PM
in reply to: NeilsWheel

User image

Originally posted by NeilsWheel

LOL!!!!!!!!! I got a REALLLLY good laugh out of that.
2015-06-02 12:35 PM

User image

I'm not sure what kind of start it is (although it is a wave start and obviously I'm in the BOP...the newbie group). I can't find it on the website though, any more details about the actual swim start. I'll have to email them. It's the Esprit De She in Naperville, and I believe there will be over 1,200 women. I figured this would be a good one for me to start out with. While it is a beach start, it is in a former quarry that has been turned into what you could consider a giant pool. So there is no current to deal with.

I'm going to go to a different triathlon on Sunday to try to get a better handle on the swim part.
2015-06-02 8:19 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Kings Mountain, North Carolina
Survive your first tri, don't bother trying to figure out what you're going to do it in, just go. Seriously.

LOL..I might print out that and use it as my inspiration. All I need to do is survive.

BeachAV8R <- First tri in 50 days

2015-06-03 1:36 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by interspace8

I'm not sure what kind of start it is (although it is a wave start and obviously I'm in the BOP...the newbie group). I can't find it on the website though, any more details about the actual swim start. I'll have to email them. It's the Esprit De She in Naperville, and I believe there will be over 1,200 women. I figured this would be a good one for me to start out with. While it is a beach start, it is in a former quarry that has been turned into what you could consider a giant pool. So there is no current to deal with.

I'm going to go to a different triathlon on Sunday to try to get a better handle on the swim part.

Looks like a wave start.

From their website:
"Please note: there will be a a two hour cut-off time to complete both the swim and bike portions of the race (from the last wave). In addition, there will be a three hour cut-off time to complete the entire race (from the last wave)."

Ya never know how big those waves are, but...when I do wave starts I usually start in the back or on the side..wait for them to say "go"....then I take a nice leisurely breath and roll my shoulders once while everyone charges off. Just a couple seconds. Most of the 'clumsiness" occurs right when everyone enters the water. Then it does calm down a bit. The worst case is you're at the back and have nobody crawling on you until the next wave catches up and you hope they weave around you. Best case scenario, you're the one weaving around the people who ran off at the git go in your wave.

I've only ever done two (couple times each) "larger" open water swims that were wave or TT start. They were "less worse" than they were made out to be.

Edited by jhaack39 2015-06-03 1:48 PM
2015-06-03 3:46 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Originally posted by jhaack39

Originally posted by interspace8

Looks like a wave start.

From their website:
"Please note: there will be a a two hour cut-off time to complete both the swim and bike portions of the race (from the last wave). In addition, there will be a three hour cut-off time to complete the entire race (from the last wave)."

Ya never know how big those waves are, but...when I do wave starts I usually start in the back or on the side..wait for them to say "go"....then I take a nice leisurely breath and roll my shoulders once while everyone charges off. Just a couple seconds. Most of the 'clumsiness" occurs right when everyone enters the water. Then it does calm down a bit. The worst case is you're at the back and have nobody crawling on you until the next wave catches up and you hope they weave around you. Best case scenario, you're the one weaving around the people who ran off at the git go in your wave.

I've only ever done two (couple times each) "larger" open water swims that were wave or TT start. They were "less worse" than they were made out to be.

I read that it's a good idea to stay to the right a bit? Granted, it makes the distance longer, but hopefully I'll get kicked less.
2015-06-03 6:36 PM
in reply to: NeilsWheel

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by NeilsWheel

Watching this Never gets tired.

My advice is stay calm stay calm stay calm. I'm comfortable in the water for sure and my mind was playing tricks on me with all the chaos going on
2015-06-04 8:15 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Thanks everyone!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How does the swim start? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IMLP swim start tips or any 2500+ mass swim start tips...if any Pages: 1 2

Started by FELTGood
Views: 4385 Posts: 30

2013-09-07 12:41 PM FELTGood

Swim starts for 140.6 always mass start?

Started by bgeyeguy
Views: 1332 Posts: 12

2012-01-11 3:44 PM FELTGood

Swim speeds for FOP/MOP/BOP swim start

Started by lamb_y2003
Views: 490 Posts: 1

2011-05-24 10:39 PM lamb_y2003

Swim speeds for FOP/MOP/BOP swim start

Started by lamb_y2003
Views: 588 Posts: 1

2011-05-24 10:38 PM lamb_y2003

Time Trial Swim Starts vs Mass or Wave starts

Started by browncd
Views: 2363 Posts: 13

2008-03-06 4:09 PM bhoover10001
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Abitaman #3 swim triathlon wallpaper provided by tri_it_cajun_style.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.
date : October 2, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
The start for everyone is a crazy cluster of splashing. Here are some tips to deal with what some consider being the toughest part of any triathlon.

date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.