General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to battle the mid training plan "blahs" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-02 10:16 AM

Bismarck, ND
Subject: How to battle the mid training plan "blahs"
I really wanted to do a HIM this year but I wasn't sure if my body could handle it or I would have time to do the training. So, I told myself and hubby that I would start the 16 week plan and "see how it goes". It actually went better than I thought it would. I started going to a masters swim class as often as I am able to go. Those sessions are way more "mileage" than my plan but I have felt strong. Not fast but strong.

Last year the longest I had ridden my bike was 25 miles. That has also progressed better than I thought it would. I have been able to keep up with my plan without problems. I usually miss 1 or 2 workouts a week but I try to make it the more simple workout of the week. If i miss 1 swim session one week then I try to miss a bike or run session the next.

I am currently on week 8 and I have lost motivation. I have been looking ahead and wondering when i am going to have time to get my long rides and runs in. The next few weekends are going to be busy and as the summer goes farther, it isn't going to get better. i know these are excuses but how do you all stay motivated?

I have not actually signed up for the race yet. Wondering if I should scratch the idea and be happy with an oly and sprint tris?

Another question, the HIM is July 26th. My hometown tri is the weekend before. They offer a sprint and olympic distance. If I do decide to do the HIM, which distance should I do? I was also hoping to do another race the week before that. They also offer a sprint and olympic distance. Would it be a bad idea to do both of those races before my HIM? I wouldn't get my longest rides in but I would get good workouts.
This is my training plan:

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2010/09/training/super-simple-ironm...

Another thing to consider, My husband may be doing his first sprint either one of the 2 previous weekends. I would like to do a sprint instead of the olympic that weekend so I can support him. I think having all this "up in the air" has been part of my motivation problems. I need to make a decision and stick with it.

2015-06-02 6:43 PM
in reply to: brreems

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: How to battle the mid training plan "blahs"

When I first start working with an athlete I ask them to "count the cost" of the journey they are about to embark upon - whether their goal is simply to complete a sprint triathlon or attempt to qualify for Kona.  We review a rough outline of what a training plan might look like and I ask them to fully consider what the coming months will look and feel like as they execute the plan to achieve the goal.  We always start a plan with the understanding that life can happen, that circumstances can change any plans.  I then encourage them to commit to the goals they have set so we can avoid second thoughts down the road.

I wonder if you are suffering from "blahs" or if perhaps you never really committed to the plan/goal in the first place?

Originally posted by brreems

. . . So, I told myself and hubby that I would start the 16 week plan and "see how it goes" . . . I have been able to keep up with my plan without problems. I usually miss 1 or 2 workouts a week but I try to make it the more simple workout of the week. If i miss 1 swim session one week then I try to miss a bike or run session the next . . . I have been looking ahead and wondering when i am going to have time to get my long rides and runs in. The next few weekends are going to be busy and as the summer goes farther, it isn't going to get better.

It seems like when you started, you weren't really committed to the plan if you were going to "see how it goes."  Then you mention you have been keeping up with the plan "without problems."  Yet you have been missing 1-2 workouts per week.  With only 9 planned workout sessions per week, that is 11-22% of the planned workouts and you are giving yourself permission to miss workouts the following week.

Finally, now you are looking ahead and recognizing how much is going to be involved to keep up with the plan in future weeks.

I would like to do a sprint instead of the olympic that weekend so I can support him. I think having all this "up in the air" has been part of my motivation problems. I need to make a decision and stick with it.

This really goes back to the "counting the cost" I ask my athletes to do at the beginning of a season.  It is VERY difficult to become motivated to attain a goal or complete a training plan, if you don't really know what your goal is.  I would encourage you to sit down and have a "heart-to-heart" discussion with yourself and figure out what you really want to do.  If it's a HIM, that's GREAT!  If it's a Sprint, that's great also.  The vast majority of us are doing this, at least partly, to have fun.  Figure out what will allow you to have fun.

Just my humble two-cents.

2015-06-02 9:32 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think you have to consider how much the HIM means to you and what you're willing to do to finish. If it really matters, then it might help to know that a motivational slump in mid-cycle is normal. The workouts are getting longer and harder, cumulative fatigue is more, the reality of what you're going to do is sinking in, and it's still a long way till the let-up of taper. For me personally, I just get through it one day, one workout at a time. No kids but I have a demanding job and also do coursework that takes up most of my remaining non-training time. It's rare that I even look at my plan for the whole week, much less more than that. I just look at today's workout and do it, sometimes before I'm fully awake LOL. Typically you'll come out of the motivational slump in a few weeks as the body adapts to the increased load.

But if it's just not worth it to you, there's nothing wrong with deciding to "just" do the sprint or Oly and focusing on that instead. Some of the worst suffering I have done in racing (as in "Gonna puke my guts if finish line doesn't come NOW!) has been in sprint tris or even 3K or 5K runs!

If you plan to still do the HIM, I would definitely do the sprint if it falls a week before. Recovery from sprints is usually a matter of a few days and you'll be good to go the following week; unless you committed to dialing back a bit on the Oly, it's possible it could interfere with taper and your readiness for the HIM.
2015-06-03 8:01 AM
in reply to: #5119875

User image

Veteran
Calgary
I love it that "some of the worst suffering I have done" is presented as an argument in favour of the races that caused the suffering!

I can't tell for sure but it sounds like you might be new to triathlon. Entering a sprint race (asap) or even watching a triathlon might inject some excitement and enthusiasm into your training. Also good training for things like race day prep, transitions & race execution. Goals and commitment will only get me so far - it's more important that I'm having fun.
2015-06-03 8:44 AM
in reply to: k9car363

Originally posted by k9car363

When I first start working with an athlete I ask them to "count the cost" of the journey they are about to embark upon - whether their goal is simply to complete a sprint triathlon or attempt to qualify for Kona.  We review a rough outline of what a training plan might look like and I ask them to fully consider what the coming months will look and feel like as they execute the plan to achieve the goal.  We always start a plan with the understanding that life can happen, that circumstances can change any plans.  I then encourage them to commit to the goals they have set so we can avoid second thoughts down the road.

I wonder if you are suffering from "blahs" or if perhaps you never really committed to the plan/goal in the first place?

. . . So, I told myself and hubby that I would start the 16 week plan and "see how it goes" . . . I have been able to keep up with my plan without problems. I usually miss 1 or 2 workouts a week but I try to make it the more simple workout of the week. If i miss 1 swim session one week then I try to miss a bike or run session the next . . . I have been looking ahead and wondering when i am going to have time to get my long rides and runs in. The next few weekends are going to be busy and as the summer goes farther, it isn't going to get better.

It seems like when you started, you weren't really committed to the plan if you were going to "see how it goes."  Then you mention you have been keeping up with the plan "without problems."  Yet you have been missing 1-2 workouts per week.  With only 9 planned workout sessions per week, that is 11-22% of the planned workouts and you are giving yourself permission to miss workouts the following week.

Finally, now you are looking ahead and recognizing how much is going to be involved to keep up with the plan in future weeks.

I would like to do a sprint instead of the olympic that weekend so I can support him. I think having all this "up in the air" has been part of my motivation problems. I need to make a decision and stick with it.

This really goes back to the "counting the cost" I ask my athletes to do at the beginning of a season.  It is VERY difficult to become motivated to attain a goal or complete a training plan, if you don't really know what your goal is.  I would encourage you to sit down and have a "heart-to-heart" discussion with yourself and figure out what you really want to do.  If it's a HIM, that's GREAT!  If it's a Sprint, that's great also.  The vast majority of us are doing this, at least partly, to have fun.  Figure out what will allow you to have fun.

x2. I see this as a commitment issue, not lack of motivation. If you are missing 1-2 workouts per week than I would venture a guess that this HIM is not very important to you. That is fine but be honest with yourself from the beginning. Just because others have a goal to race an HIM or IM does not mean that is what everyone in triathlon needs to do. Whatever level of involvement you choose for triathlon, should be enjoyable. This is supposed to be fun, don't add more stress to your life b/c of triathlon.
2015-06-03 8:57 AM
in reply to: #5120080

Bismarck, ND
All good advice.....thank you.

I am not new to shorter distance triathlons but this would be my first HIM. I do think that part of the motivation problems have been to not commiting. The other concern is looking ahead and a lot of my weekends are busy so trying to figure out when to get those workouts in.

When I say I have been able to do the training without problems, I mean my body has been able to handle the workouts. I knew that I was not going to be able to do all 9 workouts every week. I play softball and have 3 kids and full time job. So, I knew that time was going to be an issue. I had an internal battle. One side said wait to do a longer distance for a couple years when you aren't so busy. But, the other side really wants to do this and will most likely regret not following through.

I didn't have problems with motivation until this last week. Which was my recovery week. So, I let myself "relax". Now, I am struggling to get back on track.

2015-06-03 9:18 AM

User image

I do think that part of the motivation problems have been to not committing. The other concern is looking ahead and a lot of my weekends are busy so trying to figure out when to get those workouts in.

This is it right here-- two separate but related issues. First, making the mental commitment to yourself that you want to do the distance. But also the practical reality that the workouts do take a lot of time. If you are committed to the training, you prioritize those long runs and rides and get them done. I have friends with young kids and full-time jobs, so very busy schedules, that do this (ironmans too) with some creative scheduling (including early morning workouts and trainer rides even in good weather). But it does take a lot of planning, and it's not the kind of thing that you can wait and see if it just happens.

So decide what is important to you. This won't be the last chance you get to do a half-ironman.
2015-06-03 1:15 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I haven't read through the replies, but I assume that you are regularly skipping workouts because you are using a generic plan and it doesn't fit your schedule exactly. Why don't you take that generic plan and customize it a bit, so that you make the workouts something that you think you can complete each week. Tweak it so that it includes the bike and and swim targets that you think you can hit each week.

2015-06-03 1:16 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by k9car363

Yeah, this said it better.

2015-06-03 1:47 PM

Originally posted by k9car363I wonder if you are suffering from "blahs" or if perhaps you never really committed to the plan/goal in the first place?

I'm good with your overall statements. They seem apt and fitting to me.

However, I can't deny that there isn't some degree of "blah"....or 'something'. It's not a blah....but it's a lot of things.

Week 11 of 16 for me.
One of the 'bigger' weeks. I've kinda lost the weekly trophy of setting a personal distance milestone I've enjoyed the past few weeks.
I seem to be slower in many respects, which I assume is due to the fact that I've pushed myself further than ever before and there's a cumulative effect of that. Also, it's getting hotter and more humid outside. Biggest week and I know I'm going to miss a long bike and a long swim because of travel. Lots of earlier mornings. Missed exceptionally few workouts. A shortish swim here and a few minutes on the bike there. Nothing consistent. Nearly 2 hours is a medium day, when 2 hours used to be like a "long day". Long days are now...well...you know how they are. It does feel like it's adding up.

BUT...this, I suppose, is why it's not a blah. I'm adding lots of miles to my tracking. I feel good when I do it. I don't "dread" it. I maybe don't look forward to it with blooming excitement, but I don't dread it.

Now that there's some confidence...I WANNA DO IT!. A bit of anxiety as always for a noob like me, but a lot of restless anticipation. It can't come fast enough.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to battle the mid training plan "blahs" Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training Plan Attack Plan

Started by Nvmiller
Views: 720 Posts: 5

2014-08-11 11:22 PM Ron

2011 race plans vs 2011 training plans

Started by KirkD
Views: 1488 Posts: 5

2010-12-03 10:38 AM KirkD

Starting Weight Training Mid-Season

Started by tri11
Views: 1066 Posts: 2

2007-03-09 10:01 PM jcjsc00

Okay to change planned training mid week?

Started by tkbslc
Views: 603 Posts: 5

2006-08-18 11:01 AM Scout7

Adding strength training mid-season?

Started by LB22
Views: 1129 Posts: 3

2006-07-16 11:41 AM dannyhargrave1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : May 19, 2008
author : peteo
Well it is mid-life crisis time. I could get a mistress but I still think my wife is hot. Or I can abuse my body like I was still 19. Triathlon world here I come!!
date : May 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
Ever since running that marathon I have been experiencing stiffness and discomfort in my left foot, from the fourth and fifth metatarsals to about my mid foot.

date : February 12, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 14 hours toward the end of the 10 weeks.
date : January 9, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.