General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tool kit for charity ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-04 10:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: tool kit for charity ride
I am volunteering at a charity bike ride soon as a bike tech. Basically I will be on my motorcycle and offering road side repairs to those that are in need. I have no delusions of doing comprehensive overhauls on the side of the road but am thinking about a decent kit that will work for the variety of bikes I might be seeing. I suspect I will see mostly flats, for larger repairs there is always a sag wagon to bring the rider and bike to rest stops with the "real" bike mechanics.

Here is my list so far.

floor pump that does presta and schrader valves
long plastic tire levers
hex keys - all metric or do some bikes use fractional?
wrenches for those that dont have quick releases - again just metric or fractional?
tubes (700 and 26)
bottle of lube
screwdrivers
work gloves
rags/paper towels
basic first aid kit

anything I am missing?

2015-06-05 4:03 AM
in reply to: #5120566

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: RE: tool kit for charity ride
Maybe add
Electrical tape
Duct tape (cut in sidewall of tire + can fix anything)
Chain links/pins for various chain widths and a chain break tool

2015-06-05 9:24 AM
in reply to: Mc Q

patches

If you are replacing the tubes, I would keep the old one and patch it and give it out to the next rider. Also you might end up with a bike with a non standard size where you need to patch.
2015-06-05 12:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Utility knife
Pliers
Diagonal cutters  
Rubber cement  

Flat tires, jammed chains, broken spokes, flapping bar tape would be the things you'll most likely encounter.  What would you do if a brake or shifter cable breaks?  

Needle & Thread in case someone has a chin strap come apart.  

Eyeglass repair kit.  

ETA:  If you have both metric and SAE wrenches and keys, bring them.  95% of the fasteners will be metric.  

Edited by McFuzz 2015-06-05 12:01 PM
2015-06-05 6:04 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
good suggestions. I have added some electrical tape, needle nose pliers, LONG tire levers, patches and an adjustable wrench.

I will be adding in some duct tape and I have to get some glue for all the patches I found in my spare parts bin (no idea where the glue went)

I do have a chain tool but without all the links or pins for the various chains out there I suppose it would just be good for a limp home mode.

The riders are supposed to have a well tuned bike and repair kit but you know how things go. When I did the ride myself I saw a guy trying to replace a tube while the wheel was still on the frame. I asked if he needed help and he admitted that he had never fixed a flat. To his credit he did have a tube, pump and levers so I showed him how to fix the flat and sent him on his way. He was extremely grateful for the help and the reason why I signed up to volunteer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tool kit for charity ride Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Charity race kit

Started by maverickbassets
Views: 986 Posts: 9

2013-01-07 3:42 PM jmug23

Best home mechanic tool kit...

Started by Oriondriver02
Views: 1540 Posts: 11

2011-01-31 3:45 PM mrbbrad

Bike tool kits for home?

Started by chevy57
Views: 422 Posts: 1

2009-08-24 11:09 AM chevy57

Park Tool kits

Started by Elly
Views: 517 Posts: 1

2008-10-01 6:30 PM Elly

I got a bike tool kit

Started by Manatee Express
Views: 874 Posts: 4

2006-06-25 2:34 AM jsttri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : December 14, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Learn to perform routine maintenance on your bike. Knowing basic maintenance will make you a better rider. You’ll also come to recognize the complexity and beauty of this machine.