General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Specific Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-05 9:24 PM

Subject: Tri Specific Bike
I have done a couple 70.3 races and am planning on moving up to a full in 2016 (IM Arizona, If I can get out there to volunteer in November). I have my trusty road bike that has served me thus far but I think its time to get a more aero ride with a triathlon specific bike.

My question is 2 parts:
First: How far out from my race do I need to purchase it to get comfortable with it. Is a year out okay? 8 months? 6 months? Right now?

Second: A recommendation for an entry level bike based on your experience? I have a shop I'll go to for a fitting and a recommendation when I have the funds to purchase. Price range is about $3,000-$3,500

Thanks for the help!!

2015-06-05 10:35 PM
in reply to: clumsyrunner14

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Tri Specific Bike
Exactly what bike you should buy really depends on what brand/model give the best fit for you. I really like the Cervelo P2 that I got last December. For some reason I was able to get a much better fit on it than with my road bike, particularly the Trek 1.2 that I have here, and that makes it a lot more comfortable when riding at higher speeds or for longer periods of time. My roadie is a "women's" model and since I'm rather lanky, I suspect the top tube is too short to get me into a really comfortable and efficient position when in aero.

In my case, I just rode the new bike a couple of times a week on the trainer until (I think), early March, owing to some travel that kept me away from here and the new bike, and then just being hesitant about taking a fancy carbon tri bike out on the road. From then on, I took it out once a week (I ride about three miles to/from an area with no outside traffic where I can train in aero on Sundays) until my HIM on May 11. For me, that, plus riding it on the trainer, was enough to get used to the bike and race a HIM on it with no real issues. I hadn't ridden a tri bike before (though have ridden my road bike with aerobars for two years) and was a bit hesitant about the handling at first, but it took maybe four rides to get to a similar level of comfort as with the road bike. No real issues with seat, back, etc. even after 3+ hours in aero. I guess that's a credit to the fitter in doing a really good job! I'm not particularly coordinated and don't have a big biking background, so I'd say that if I could go from never riding a tri bike to racing a HIM on one in two to three months, most people could if they had a proper fit and put in some rides.

I did have one moment of freakout in the HIM in the first km, when it felt like the bike was wobbling from side to side. I thought it was a mechanical issue but the sensation went away about 1.5 km in. It apparently was due to gusting crosswinds that others mentioned later. Somehow I'd never ridden the tri bike in those particular conditions, so it was a little disconcerting! It's considerably lighter than my roadie with twitchier steering, and I'm pretty light to begin with, so it was a bit like holding in a bucking bronco until the wind let up, I picked up enough forward momentum, or both! The more you can get out and ride the bike, the more likely you'll experience different riding conditions and handling quirks, so you can be more confident in the race.
2015-06-06 12:46 AM
in reply to: clumsyrunner14

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Tri Specific Bike
I would recommend you get your new tri bike at least before you start your IM training plan (say 6 months out). A month before that would be even better. You'll need time to get used to the geometry and anything you aren't used to (aero position for one, shifting and braking). The handling will seem squirrelly at first, and over time you'll feel much more stable and relaxed. This process could take awhile to get full confidence, ie. windy and rainy conditions, poorer roads, etc.

I would also recommend a few shorter races on it, to get ready for the "big one". Although not absolutely necessary, but a good idea. This way you can work out problems such as carrying nutrition and hydration, spare tires & flat kit, metrics for speed/distance/power...yet much will be the same as when you use it for long rides in training. Another thing if you plan shipping your bike, you'll need to know how to get it packed/disassembled/re-assembled. Also if you have race wheels that need adjustment of the derailleur or change of brake pads....just "stuff" associated with racing vs. training.

As for your second question...I like the Cervelo P2. Good value and is simply a great bike. But your budget accommodates a good range of tri bikes. Take some time to find one that fits you well. There are lots to pick from !
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Specific Bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HIM or IM race day supplies--bike specific?

Started by tigers75
Views: 1714 Posts: 7

2013-01-02 9:54 PM csharp1171

road bike vs tri bike in DATT

Started by instigator
Views: 1193 Posts: 7

2008-02-10 4:58 PM got2run

tri bike vs road bike for IMKY

Started by clydes_250
Views: 1245 Posts: 10

2007-09-27 6:53 PM Rocket Man

Specific High Cliff HIM Advice?

Started by Miler
Views: 611 Posts: 2

2007-06-22 11:08 AM jszat

race specific questions

Started by travisdotn
Views: 838 Posts: 4

2006-08-08 11:18 PM travisdotn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.
date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.