General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Lesson Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-08 10:02 AM

User image

Subject: Swim Lesson
I just wanted to share with the group that I had my 1st swim lesson (probably since I was 5 yrs old) this weekend and to say it was helpful doesn't do it justice. I'm 32 yrs old and although I wasn't a train wreck in the pool, I knew my form could use some improvement. Youtube could only get me so far! After 1 hour I learnt the following. For those of you who have access to a private lesson and have no formal training in any of the triathlon disciples, I highly recommend it!

1. Bring my head back so I'm looking more at the bottom of the pool vs forward
2. Make sure my arms are fully straight both when starting and finishing my stroke
3. My legs were opening up when going for a breath

I did some of the drills I learnt to improve on these issues this morning and although my arms/chest feel a lot more strained than they used to, I couldn't believe how fresh my legs felt and also how I seemed to be moving faster and more efficiently through the water. I still have a long way to go but at least I have a better idea of where I'm trying to go now!

2015-06-08 10:38 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Subject: RE: Swim Lesson
Adults are the hardest group too teach. A few swimming lessons from someone who is familiar with adult LTS is a very good investment!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Lesson Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Swim in a Wetsuit - First Swimming Lesson

Started by lvthgme
Views: 1546 Posts: 7

2010-06-07 1:43 PM lvthgme

Help finding swim lessons in North Texas

Started by just4me
Views: 679 Posts: 4

2004-12-08 6:32 PM Tri Swim Coach

Swimming lessons

Started by Yoshiko
Views: 906 Posts: 15

2004-11-14 8:32 PM Yoshiko

I'm taking swim lessons

Started by maureen
Views: 831 Posts: 9

2004-11-15 1:11 PM RGRBILL

Swim Lessons question

Started by jmc1888
Views: 812 Posts: 6

2004-05-18 1:24 PM charlie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on being a slow, beginner swimmer, swimming on your side, snorkels, private lessons and ocean swims.

date : October 11, 2007
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Gina76
comments : 2
The completion of my first sprint triathlon! Even though it has been over a year since my first tri, I find myself ready to do two more this year and even two half marathons!
date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
comments : 2
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.

date : January 1, 2006
comments : 1
The three drills we will be focusing on today are a more “advanced” version of catch-up, which help you with distance per stroke AND keep you rotating from side to side (hip rotation).
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.