General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vineman Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-08 9:20 PM

User image

Utah
Subject: Vineman Full
Anyone done this race? Thoughts? Considering it down the road for my next 140.6. What are the differences I would notice between this and a branded event?

2015-06-09 7:47 AM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Vineman Full

I did Vineman in 2011 after doing IMCdA in 2009.  It was a great excuse to visit NoCal for 2 weeks.  

It's a well established and well run event substantially smaller than an Mdot race.  Logistics prevent it from being the 2000+ behemoth of an Mdot.  

The swim was good even if the water at times was quite shallow (like...2') and a lot of people stood up and walked.  The swim is in the Russian river and they divide the river into thirds.  Upstream in one third, nothing in the middle, and downstream in the other third.  It was pretty easy to sight both directions since you aren't far from the river bank and overhanging trees.  

Bike was good, but Sonoma County roads are some of the worst I've ever ridden.  I joked with friends who did it the year after I did that the solutions is to fill your water bottle with wine.  There aren't a lot of flat, straight, stretches so it makes the day pass quickly.  

Run is 3 loops out-and-back and like the bike, not much "flat" but none of the hills are really bad.  Do the math, and it's about 4 miles each way, so you'll see a lot of the same people again and again and again.  They gave us a wristband each of the first two loops so we didn't have to "think" about which lap we were on.  A fairly compact run course, so there weren't any "desolate" sections.  Finish area was not the full-on rockstar event of an Mdot, but also meant that it was easy to wait and watch for an athlete to finish.  Another BT'er did the race and was starting his final lap as I came in to finish, so we were able to guess pretty well when he'd be finishing also.  

2015-06-09 6:29 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

I did it 2 years ago as my first full. I enjoyed it. I went solo and didn't make it a vacation like I should have. I was just freaked out about it. The swim was super awesome for my first race since like McFuzz said, you can stand up at any time. Huge stress reliever. I don't remember much about the bike except that the shaded area made it hard to avoid pot holes since your eyes can't adjust that quickly. Roads could be better but not horrible. Run did have one giant hill. I refused to walk up it though but walking up it was the going theme. The end was good but seemed to have more fans at IMWI (could just be where the finish was). Them holding up a finisher line for everyone as they finished was pretty cool. I felt awesome running through that.

I would consider it again if it wasn't such a PITA to haul my bike around the airport.
2015-06-09 11:48 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Vineman was my first and only 140.6 so I don't have the MDOT to compare to. Blastman and I did it the same year. The thing I would add is that the food at the end was real fresh. The chicken noodle soup was absolutely wonderful. The grilled chicken and the pasta salad with a sweet tangy coating was marvelous. I truly didn't even look at the mile markers I just focused on having to run three laps. To help myself I set goals for each discipline. I met my swim goal by 2 min., missed the bike by 7 min. And negative split the run but missed my goal by 6 min. I did however, meet my goal of 15 hrs or less.

For the bike you have to be conservative on lap one so you don't burn yourself out. It is easy to over do the first lap. I set an average speed of 16 MPH for a goal and ended the race at a high 15 MPH average. Absolutely killed the swim. Swimming in the low areas if you can is much faster than walking but you really have to walk the turn around due to the depth so no real choice.

The crowds on the course were plenty and they get real up and personal with you. They would yell out your number on each lap so it was something to look forward on your way out and back in. Nothing like bringing it in at the end by yourself and breaking the tape at the finish.

Vineman has a great local feel to it.
2015-06-12 12:18 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It's a good race in a beautiful area.  I did Full Vineman in 2012 and I'm doing it again this year.  It's run by the same folks who do IM Vineman 70.3 on the same course but two weeks later (with a different, woman's only, HIM, Barb's Race).

Do you have any specific questions?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vineman Full Rss Feed