General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri suits Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-14 12:53 AM

User image

Subject: Tri suits
Hi, I am doing my first sprint tri in a month and want to buy a tri suit, but I'm not sure if I should get a two piece or one? Is there an advantage to getting a two piece i.e. wearing shorts/top separately for training? I am just swimming in pools at this point and am not sure I'll get enough nerve to try an open water swim. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

2015-06-14 12:21 PM
in reply to: julieruns

User image

Subject: RE: Tri suits
I bought a one piece (Orca 226) for my sprint tri and loved it. It worked great for me in the water, on the bike, and on the run. However, for training purposes and my olympic distance, I've only worn 2 piece tri kits (Orca, Zoot, Betty Designs) as they are more versatile, easier to get on and off and SO much easier to pull on/off for bathroom purposes. BUT, I do feel the one piece is a bit more flattering on my figure (others feel the exact opposite so try on both kinds to see which you prefer). Also consider whether you would prefer different sizes for your top and bottom. While my one piece is an XS and fits well, some of my other kits are mixed sizes (ie. XS and S) as that's what fit best.

I've worn my one piece tri suit in the pool twice - once to train in and once to race in- and I've worn my 2 piece tri kits once in the pool -purely to see how they felt in the water. I noticed less drag with the one piece than with the 2 piece in the pool swim.
2015-06-14 1:49 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

A trisuit may offer a small drag advantage in the water over a two piece but I would have thought this would be negligible for all but the fastest athletes.  It is more important you get what feels most comfortable.  I find a one piece tri suit uncomfortable around my shoulders so I now use a two piece.

2015-06-14 2:03 PM
in reply to: Emer

User image

Thanks for your help!
2015-06-14 8:18 PM
in reply to: tridantri

User image

Maybe it's just my shape but the top and bottoms stretched at the openings, bagging out and creating drag. So maybe this isn't a problem for most athletes but has been for me.
2015-06-23 12:34 PM

I've only had one tri suit in my career (2 seasons) and it's a 1 piece. I like it and have no reason to want to try a 2 piece.
I bought the 1 piece for swimming purposes. No seam between the top an bottom (less bagging, riding up, and drag). I race sprints so I go no wetsuit since the swim is so short. If I did longer races or the water was cold all the time and had a wetsuit on my reasoning would be moot.

I see many with 2 pieces but I like my onesy and would get another one

2015-07-02 1:40 PM

User image

I race in a Kiwami Amphibian trisuit. These were what my college team wore and I got hooked on them. These are superfast and dry in minutes once you leave the water. They have breath really well for the run and bike too. The back is cut so that it sits inside your shoulder blades which is great for swimming and running. The only negatives is that they are kind of expensive and because the fabric is so lightweight it leave absolutely nothing to the imagination in the lighter colors.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri suits Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wet Suit or Tri Suit for Big Guy

Started by coachrains
Views: 1566 Posts: 9

2014-02-19 1:36 PM coachrains

Tri suit and wet suit

Started by seanlove22
Views: 1552 Posts: 4

2011-07-25 12:24 AM Cubsrock444

tri suit vs wet suit

Started by grdavison
Views: 6314 Posts: 4

2008-06-14 12:19 AM owl_girl

tri suit vs. speed suit

Started by Craig686
Views: 1573 Posts: 2

2007-06-12 12:05 AM Broompatrol

newbie-Tri suit vs. Wet Suit

Started by smdnyfl
Views: 1263 Posts: 7

2007-06-15 9:28 AM tri-chic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2009
author : t3coach1
comments : 0
Looking to shave some time off and improve your swim efficiency during your races? We review the Rocket Skin Suit by Rocket Science Sports.

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : October 3, 2007
author : Diane1961
I step gingerly into the pond. I did not know water could be that cold and not be ice. Briefly I can see the bottom and then everything is black except for my pale hands extending from my black suit.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.