World Triathlon Corporation
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 30m 56s
Overall Rank = 324/2592
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 48/325
Pre-race routine:

The same as always... I had a bagel with a cup of coffee for breakfast about 4:45 and just relaxed while I got dressed for the race over the next 45 minutes or so. I did have some water and a bottle of HEED to get some electrolytes in me. Actually I had a few bottles over the past few days, since I knew that this was going to be a sweat-fest.

I left about 5:40 and walked to the start then proceed to get my transition set up. I knew that this was going to be a tough day, when I literally has sweat running down my face just pumping up my tires at 6 in the morning!
Event warmup:

Very little. Seeing as it was 75 degrees at 6:00 AM and I was sweating my kahones off just setting up my transistion area, my mile walk to the site and my 5 minute swim pre-start was all the "warmup" I needed!
Swim
  • 45m 40s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went as well as expected, maybe a bit better. I've only swam once since IM Choo last fall, so I wasn't expecting much. The river was unusually clam so I'm sure that helped. I'm a weak swimmer and most of my HIM swims are in the 40-45 minute range, so I'm fairly pleased with the time I put up.
What would you do differently?:

Train
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

Pretty easy transition. I didn't have too far to go with the bike due to the AWA status for the season... that was a nice benefit I was racked right behind the pro racks so while it was a ways from the swim exit, the bike out/in was literally steps away from my rack.

Not much, this was really a "training race" for me so I didn't force things if not necessary. My time was slower than it could/should be, but I was simply getting into the groove for the season so I wasn't worried about an extra minute or two in the transitions.
Bike
  • 2h 45m 12s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, not a bad ride all things considered. I've only ridden the bike about 550 miles since January so I wasn't expecting too much. I didn't push too hard during the bike because I wanted to save myself for the run that I knew was going to be brutal. I kept my HR in the mid 140s most of the time and didn't push much further.

I got noticeably slower as the ride wore on and since the course is pretty much the same for 56 miles and there was really no wind to speak of, I can only surmise that the slow down was due to the heat and my fitness level. I averaged 21 MPH for the first 90 minutes, but then averaged only 19.6 for the next 75 minutes.

Coming into T2 my Garmin Edge had the temp at 87.9 degrees. Wait, what...I've gotta go run a half mary now? In this weather? Who thought this was a good idea?

Get some more training in before race day.
Transition 2
  • 03m 59s
Comments:

This was a bit slower than expected. Even though I wasn't focusing on going "fast" in transition, I still didn't expect to take 4 minutes to go into the run. A few things of note that contributed to my time. 1) I was hot as heck and so I doused my head with water, 2) I put socks on for the run since I knew my feet would be wet all day, 3) I had to pee so I hit the port-o-let.

Not too much, without the pee break and if it wasn't a thousand degrees out, I'm sure I would've been 90 seconds or so quicker.
Run
  • 1h 53m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

As I mentioned, it was nearly 90 degrees out and it wasn't even 11:00 AM yet. I know this course and know that you get some shade by the one house near the 1 mile mark,they have a nice oak tree with a pretty big canopy. Other than that its you,the asphalt, the blazing sun, and your hallucinations. This was going to be fun.

At this point in the day I knew that I had performed just about what I expected given the factors so all I had to do now was to run about 8:30s and I'd be OK for going sub-5:30 for the race. On any normal day I wouldn't even have to think about running that, today; however,was a different story.

I started out pretty good, running in the low 8s,while running but I needed to stop at every aid station to ward off the effects of the heat. I took ice at every stop, I doused my head with water, drank some Gatorade, and then pressed on. With the aid stations, I was doing about 8:20ish for the first 3 or 4 miles. From there I slowly crept up in time and averaged in the high 8s for the middle miles, most usually around 8:50 or so. By the end, the final few miles were all hovering around 9:00. Don't ask me how, but I was able to muster a kick for the final mile and ran a 7:40. Not sure what the .1 was done in because I forgot to stop my watch, but nonetheless I don't know how I was able to do that.

Run in my own personal air conditioned bubble?
Post race
Warm down:

Stood under the hose set up finish line for about 60 seconds, then found some shade, then got some food, then got stretched out in the massage tent.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and the heat. Surprisingly, I did fairly well all things considered. I told myself that I'd be happy if I went 5:30 based solely on the training level, throw in the conditions and I'm actually a bit shocked that I went 5:30.

Event comments:

A great race, and one that I fully enjoy. This is my 3rd year doing this race and I will do it again next year. The town of Cambridge and the residents are great and are gracious hosts. Kudos to all the volunteers as well... they had a hard day.

Last updated: 2015-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:40 | 2112 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 115/325
Overall: 822/2592
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Rectangular, in water start.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:45:12 | 56 miles | 20.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 89/325
Overall: 590/2592
Performance: Average
147 Average HR
Wind: Little
Course: Single loop, pancake flat, and hot as H-E-double toothpicks.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:59
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:53:27 | 13.1 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 48/325
Overall: 324/2592
Performance: Below average
168 Average HR
Course: Out and back on the surface of the sun
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-06-16 7:36 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman

2015-06-17 4:11 PM
in reply to: #5123035

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman

Great race, David, especially the swim given no training.

I woke up Saturday morning here in Baltimore, looked at the thermometer and said, "Eagleman is going to suck this year."

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

Started by marykay79
Views: 2457 Posts: 1

2011-06-14 12:52 PM marykay79

Started by turtlegirl
Views: 4358 Posts: 14

2013-06-12 7:34 AM Sous

Started by dougiegr
Views: 2209 Posts: 1

2011-06-13 1:30 PM dougiegr

Started by frank.vetter
Views: 2044 Posts: 1

2011-06-13 8:48 AM frank.vetter

Started by KellyCByrne
Views: 2051 Posts: 1

2011-06-08 11:29 AM KellyCByrne
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.