General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swim near New Haven, CT Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-16 8:31 PM

User image

Subject: Open water swim near New Haven, CT
I'm looking for safe open water swimming areas in the New Haven area. In particular I'm hoping for 1/2 to 1-mile swims in the West Haven or Milford area. There are plenty of beaches around and it would seem simple to find something. But I have no idea about the safety or known currents.

And ... if anyone would like to team up I'm interested in Saturday or Sunday morning swims. A 7am swim for about an hour before the day gets going seems ideal to me.

I just finished the Seaside Sprint triathlon and have three more coming this summer. So getting more open water swims will be great - but WHERE?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jason

2015-06-17 8:25 AM
in reply to: morrij6

Subject: RE: Open water swim near New Haven, CT
Originally posted by morrij6

I'm looking for safe open water swimming areas in the New Haven area. In particular I'm hoping for 1/2 to 1-mile swims in the West Haven or Milford area. There are plenty of beaches around and it would seem simple to find something. But I have no idea about the safety or known currents.

And ... if anyone would like to team up I'm interested in Saturday or Sunday morning swims. A 7am swim for about an hour before the day gets going seems ideal to me.

I just finished the Seaside Sprint triathlon and have three more coming this summer. So getting more open water swims will be great - but WHERE?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jason

Jason, congrats, and i know this isnt exactly what you were asking for geographically , but this was recently posted on
https://www.facebook.com/PatGriskusTriathlonSeries -- lots of helpful tips etc at the open water swims..

http://qsailingcenter.org/index.html
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If interested, please send email to: [email protected]

**Open Water Swimming Opportunities are available in Lake Quassapaug, at Quassy Sailing Center**

Hi, quick note to inform that you will have open water swim opportunities to gain confidence for race day at the Pat Griskus Sprint Triathlon, Exclusive to Registered Athletes: Registration link is here:

https://endurancecui.active.com/event-reg/select-race…

Quassy Sailing Center http://www.qsailingcenter.org/will host open water swimming opportunities exclusively for Pat Griskus Sprint Tri participants starting Sunday, June 21st 9:00am

Please contact David Heller at [email protected] if interested in attending this Sunday June 21st, or call his cell at 203-509-7320

There will be 2 other oppurtunities: Sunday June 28th and again Sunday July 5th, 9am. Pricing structure is $20 per session, do all three for $40.

These are invaluable sessions for those not confident in the water, we want well prepared swimmers on race day, so please take advantage of this unique offer, no other races that we know of offers this level of opportunity and instruction.

PLEASE REPLY TO [email protected]

Best of luck!
Tom Wilkas - Race Director
www.PatGriskusTri.com

Thank you,
Pat Griskus Triathlon Series
[email protected]
2015-06-19 8:21 PM

User image

So, I've been reviewing nautical charts here:
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/InteractiveCatalog/nrnc.shtml

It appears there are some reasonable swims parallel to the shore in West Haven and Milford.

I'm familiar with the Woodmont beach. It looks as if a swim from the Trubee Doolittle park on the easterly end of the beach then out around Merwin Point and to the smaller Merwin Beach area is about a 1/2 mile. My concern in these areas is while lies beneath the waves. There are jetties and rocks out there. I'd like to know if I was going to smash my hands into a rock - or worse, hooks/nets/debris lurking in the rocks. This area is not staffed by lifeguards but I feel that swimming parallel to shore would be reasonably safe. Parking is available at the park where the swim could start.

Another option would be the long stretch of beach in West Haven. Start near Bradley point/Seapoint beach and swim parallel to shore westward along Prospect beach and return to shore near the large pool of water along Lake Street. This is roughly a half-mile swim in shallow waters with few jetties and mostly sandy beaches. Parking could be troublesome.

And yet another West Haven swim could start in the Savin Rock area and proceed east parallel to the shore. Perhaps down to Chick's restaurant. Here you'd need to swim out beyond the jetties. And like the Woodmont jetties there are fishermen around and likely some debris stuck to the bottom.

And I know there were some people a few years back who were planning a swim out and around Charles Island in Milford near Walnut beach. However they mentioned something about a strong current during high tide.

At this point I've not done any of the swims mentioned above but would like to. I may do them alone but would much prefer to swim with at least one additional person in case something unexpected happens (god forbid).

2015-07-02 11:03 AM

Hi Jason,

I swam off the beach near Savin Rock several times last summer, solo, with no issues. It was very nice, pick your distance.
Looking forward to more this summer. Happy to join up if the timing works.
Gary
2015-07-03 8:54 PM
in reply to: gpursell

User image

Gary,

Thanks for the info. I would really be grateful to meet up sometime if our schedules can work out. I'll send you a private message and see if we can make this happen.

In the meantime I'm trying to get interest from the Team Mossman Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/44656037686/

Jason
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swim near New Haven, CT Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Milford, CT Open Water Swim

Started by jverdura
Views: 4837 Posts: 16

2017-03-05 9:38 AM SAASwimmer

open water swim places in southern CT

Started by suefesta
Views: 6505 Posts: 8

2010-06-07 1:15 PM rbriggz

Open water swims in north central CT?

Started by Donzy
Views: 2912 Posts: 8

2009-06-11 10:34 PM Donzy

Swim Training Programs around New Haven?

Started by rbriggz
Views: 1705 Posts: 6

2008-01-12 2:25 PM rbriggz

Open Water Swim at Lake T Sunday 6/11 at 8am

Started by Marlborough Man
Views: 1026 Posts: 2

2006-06-11 5:09 AM CptnJackSparrow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : August 12, 2010
author : 10Kswim.com
comments : 2
Learn what the world's best open water swimmers look for, think about and do during a world-class open water swim and it's implications for triathletes looking to improve the swim leg of their race.
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : July 8, 2008
author : ggwellness
comments : 11
Confessions of an open water chicken. I'm OK when the water is clear and the creatures are visible; it's just when I can't see them that the panic sets in.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.