General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Salt water swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-18 8:52 AM

Subject: Salt water swim
hey all- normally I compete in fresh water triathlons and just wear my Tri shorts for the entire event. I have IM France coming up with the swim in the Med. I plan on wearing tri shorts under my wetsuit. Should I switch to a different pair of tri shorts in T1 to avoid chafing? Some recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

2015-06-18 12:29 PM
in reply to: timbergreg

User image

Subject: RE: Salt water swim

Originally posted by timbergreg hey all- normally I compete in fresh water triathlons and just wear my Tri shorts for the entire event. I have IM France coming up with the swim in the Med. I plan on wearing tri shorts under my wetsuit. Should I switch to a different pair of tri shorts in T1 to avoid chafing? Some recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't see a need to, if you are used to doing an IM in tri shorts.  Although I've changed from jammers to tri shorts and /or bike shorts in my IMs.

You might want to pay attention to where to lube as salt water will cause a bit more chafing where skin meets skin or rubber.

2015-06-18 7:47 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Most of my tris including my last HIM are in salt water and I've never noticed a difference in chafing with fresh water. I would just make sure to hit the Body Glide beforehand, and wear what you are comfortable with. There should be a shower after the swim exit for a saltwater race, so you can make sure to rinse the salt off after the swim.
2015-06-21 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

I wore tri shorts under my wetsuit when I did IM France and had no problems. 

Good luck.

2015-06-25 7:10 AM

User image

I just completed Ironman 70.3 Kronborg which is really salt water. No issues whatsoever regarding chafing. Same tri-shorts the entire race.
2015-06-26 4:59 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by timbergreg hey all- normally I compete in fresh water triathlons and just wear my Tri shorts for the entire event. I have IM France coming up with the swim in the Med. I plan on wearing tri shorts under my wetsuit. Should I switch to a different pair of tri shorts in T1 to avoid chafing? Some recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't see a need to, if you are used to doing an IM in tri shorts.  Although I've changed from jammers to tri shorts and /or bike shorts in my IMs.

You might want to pay attention to where to lube as salt water will cause a bit more chafing where skin meets skin or rubber.

agree...although, I'd wear jammers under the wetsuit and pre-lube the chamois to put on in T1. it's a long ride to start off wet IMO.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Salt water swim Rss Feed