General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Topeka Tinman! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-20 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: Topeka Tinman!
I was out there watching my wife at Topeka Tinman today. Lots of good performances out there and I didn't envy any of you who were out on that hot run. Looked pretty brutal. I saw jayhox take off with a giant swim lead and hold onto it onto the bike. What's it like riding out there in front with clean road ahead?

I have to say, last year I was pretty vocal on my criticism of Silverback. It seemed the entire event was ho-hum with no buzz at all. I was pretty skeptical that "Legend/Silverback" would do better this year. While I think their pre-race communication still has lots of room for improvement, this year was a much better production (in my mind). Lots of little things made the atmosphere seem more exciting. The medals were unique, the PEM/Hy-Vee announcer Matt was good (or, at least, existent), Gatorade on course and post-race, post-race food and PBR (how can you complain about PBR!!!??) etc. I thought they did well. I think the Free-State tri from a few weeks ago is their flagship event, but if their other events this season (Ad Adstra, Cap CIty) are put on like today's event, I'll be a fan.

2015-06-20 7:49 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: RE: Topeka Tinman!
Last year's race is why I didn't register this year. I did the short course and was the first person done (humble brag), but there was literally no atmosphere before or after the race. I'm glad it sounds like last year was a fluke. It's an event I love to do. I'll probably be back next year to redeem my short course AG win. haha
2015-06-20 8:13 PM
in reply to: m.a.burghart

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Funny you should mention that. The announcer was the same guy that did Hy-Vee (he also was the announcer at Escape from Alcatraz a couple weeks ago). So he's obviously good at what he does. I like him. But he did hilariously miss the overall winner and a few other flubs. (the Ben Freed kid won, and his sister won the women's race). He crossed the finish line and a few mnutes later the announcer realized he was done. It seemed to be quite a bit of confusion about who the winners were as they crossed the finish line. He also kept talking about how they were STILL waiting for the long course athletes. Ha ha..Almost like he thought they were running 6.2 miles instead of 8!

That said, he still did a good job even if there seemed to be some confusion. I'm not bashing, just laughing. Way better than last year IMO.
2015-06-22 3:39 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
All the issues with Free State a few weeks ago (and I still haven't received my age group award in the mail) really had me hesitating with registering for Topeka Tinman and because of it I raced the El Dorado Lake Tri yesterday instead, which had a great atmosphere. It was a longer drive, but Free State really had me put off with Legends. Thanks for the feedback with Topeka Tinman, I'm willing to give them another chance
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Topeka Tinman! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Long Course : Official Thread

Started by tri-dg
Views: 2453 Posts: 3

2015-03-31 11:26 PM Justin Scheele

Topeka Tinman

Started by bwoglom
Views: 1295 Posts: 4

2008-05-20 1:56 PM climbin5414

Topeka Tinman Timing Issue

Started by climbin5414
Views: 1061 Posts: 3

2007-06-16 10:29 PM LindaKC

Topeka Tinman Water Temp

Started by tdstewKC
Views: 1430 Posts: 1

2007-06-14 10:23 AM tdstewKC

Topeka Tinman meet-n-greet?

Started by lisac957
Views: 1930 Posts: 18

2007-06-26 9:09 AM climbin5414
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!