General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling during marathon training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-21 2:10 AM

User image

Subject: Cycling during marathon training

I am about to start my training schedule for a January FM (sub 4 goal). This requires running 5 days a week. At the moment, I bike 3-4 (and swim 3-4).
My question is, do/can bike rides adequately substitute for part of the runs or do I invariably have to do double workouts?
Presently I do about 100k a week on the bike (3 X 20 + 40) but not sure I can maintain than and run 50-60k as well (time-wise speaking).
Thanks

2015-06-21 9:49 AM
in reply to: aribloch

User image

Subject: RE: Cycling during marathon training
Check out the FIRST marathon plan. 3 quality runs a week, and cross training 3 days a week. It works well for some people. I am on my first cycle after three previous marathons using the Higdon plans. I am using this to build for a fall marathon, and still race an Olympic tri in Aug.
2015-06-21 10:11 AM
in reply to: #5123815

User image

Subject: RE: Cycling during marathon training
Short answer is no, cycling doesn't substitute for running. So if the plan calls for five days running and you cut some of those runs in favour of cycling, you won't get all the benefits of the plan. But as the previous poster said, there are plans (like FIRST, and Matt Fitzgerald has some too) that will have you running less days and incorporating more other activities.

I personally think that if you truly want to reach your marathon potential, you would have to focus on just running. But for many people that's not practical or desirable. You can do very well on plans that combine running with other activities.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling during marathon training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Half Marathon during Marathon training question!

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 1136 Posts: 9

2012-01-13 6:26 AM natethomas2000

Marathon training during Tri Season?

Started by wurkit_gurl
Views: 1356 Posts: 25

2007-11-15 3:59 PM BikerGrrrl

Long Distance Cycling during Marathon recovery?

Started by pauldelamancha
Views: 900 Posts: 3

2007-10-20 8:41 AM caius

FIRST 10K RACE DURING MARATHON TRAINING

Started by bshehan
Views: 1241 Posts: 9

2006-09-04 9:15 PM bshehan

race during marathon training

Started by wyecrab
Views: 1304 Posts: 9

2006-01-10 12:32 PM drmac
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?
date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.

date : February 16, 2009
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. For month two, we are increasing the intensity and duration of the workouts.
date : January 18, 2009
comments : 2
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. This program can get you fit and ready to then start any of our sprint or olympic triathlon training programs.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
“Less is more,” is a common buzz phrase in endurance sports today. It refers to the trend of training less but focusing on intensity and quality rather than on quantity.