General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Waterman's Bike Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-22 7:15 AM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member
Subject: Waterman's Bike Course

Hi- I need to do 80-90 miles of flat(ish) riding on the Friday of 4th of July weekend and was thinking about doing the Waterman's bike course (half + international).  Does anybody know if how this course is outside of race day?  For example, lots of traffic, roads that are closed for the race but too busy to ride at other times? 

Alternatively, are there other places that I could ride that meet the same criteria?  I'm coming from Virginia and don't want to go all the way to the beaches, but am willing to drive a little to find a good, safe spot. 

Thanks!

2015-06-22 12:49 PM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Waterman's Bike Course

The roads aren't closed to traffic for those events anyway, but the shoulders are pretty wide in most spots and you get police direction at the intersections. 

I think you'll find that if you're in the Rock Hall/Chestertown or Cambridge/Blackwater areas, you'll find tons of cyclists on the roads and people are pretty used to them.  Waterman's is a fairly flat course with just enough hills to give your legs a break; Blackwater (Eagleman 70.3) is pancake flat (and I mean FLAT!).

If you're looking to minimize traffic, I'd recommend Blackwater Wildlife refuge over the Rock Hall area.  Warming, though, it will be hot, windy, and no shade.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Waterman's Bike Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Waterman's Half?

Started by mdalsey
Views: 1539 Posts: 9

2012-10-14 10:56 AM mdalsey

Perryville - Diamond in the Rough Bike Course

Started by SquatSauce
Views: 845 Posts: 1

2010-06-08 5:23 PM SquatSauce

Celebration Bike Course Ride

Started by cornfed
Views: 1327 Posts: 13

2010-06-20 4:53 PM dmiller5

Half Full Bike Course

Started by FeltonR.Nubbinsworth
Views: 1855 Posts: 7

2010-01-10 5:22 PM MDHillSlug

SavageMan Course Preview

Started by econway
Views: 2514 Posts: 17

2007-07-17 12:28 PM econway
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 20, 2007
comments : 0
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : July 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on training after adductor tendonitis, swimming drills, training after 3 down base weeks from allergies to get ready for a HIM, hill drills, Computrainer courses vs outside rides and more.

date : July 9, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 3
What do you bring to the starting line? What are you going to leave on the course? What will you take with you across the finish line?
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.
date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.