General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie in MKE - First sprint in 3 weeks! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-22 5:43 PM

Subject: Newbie in MKE - First sprint in 3 weeks!
Last summer I was an overweight 30-year old who was attempting to pick up (read: force myself to enjoy) running. One day last August I jogged (shuffled is probably more accurate) over to the USAT National Championships here in Milwaukee, and I was absolutely blown away by the atmosphere, and by the athleticism of the athletes. I knew then and there that I wanted to sign up for and complete a sprint within the next year. Around the same time I also picked up weight training, which I stuck with pretty consistently, building up some significant muscle, strength and endurance over the course of 6 months. I had a minor wrist injury that put the kibosh on some of my heavy lifting, but fast forward to today and I'm 20-25 lbs lighter and still have a good amount of strength and endurance. I've also completed a handful of 25-35 mile bike rides and 5-10k runs over the past year (including a quarter marathon last weekend).

Long story short, I'm signed up to do my first sprint in 3 weeks (1/4 mi swim, 17 mile bike, 5k run), and while I'm a little nervous, I am excited and confident that it's going to be a blast! Due to a lack of work-life balance lately, my training has suffered, but I'm confident that I'll be able to finish. I'd call my training plan for the last few months "training light". I've been running fairly consistently, but only getting on my bike and in the pool every other week or so. I was a swimmer in high school, so though I'm a bit slower these days, I'm confident in my swimming ability and the water doesn't generally make me anxious. Planning on getting in the pool and out on my bike as much as possible over the next few weeks, and will get in at least one OWS. Am I crazy? Maybe, but I can see the finish line and I'm confident I'll make it there In the meantime, I'm looking forward to perusing the forums for some tips and tricks, and ways to improve for next time!

2015-06-23 1:56 PM
in reply to: itzjulz

User image

Tyler,
Subject: RE: Newbie in MKE - First sprint in 3 weeks!

Congrats on getting ready for your first triathlon. Sounds like you have a lot going on. If I can help answer any questions please feel free to reach out to me. 

2015-06-26 8:27 AM
in reply to: itzjulz

User image

Subject: RE: Newbie in MKE - First sprint in 3 weeks!
If you are a former comp swimmer, the 1/2 mile swim won't be too taxing, just remeber to take it slow. You will probably beat a lot of people out of the water even with a slow pace. A sprint in my humble opinion is more mind oriented thna anything. Keep your mental game up and you will be able to finish. This will at least give you a baseline to compare your performancce with as you continue. I try to PR at least one even each time I race. Sometimes that doesn't happen, but that is life. Most importantly have fun!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie in MKE - First sprint in 3 weeks! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

two weeks till my first sprint

Started by cranker
Views: 1027 Posts: 6

2012-06-26 4:11 PM chrismcturnan

Newbie – first mini-sprint in 2 weeks!

Started by SEwantstobeFe
Views: 1409 Posts: 8

2011-08-24 1:23 PM SEwantstobeFe

wheelchair racer - first sprint tri in 2 weeks

Started by Katja
Views: 1700 Posts: 16

2010-06-13 7:15 PM Katja

First Sprint Tri in 4 weeks

Started by platdaddy
Views: 817 Posts: 5

2009-05-23 9:16 PM greyg8r

Newbie Couger Mom Finishes first Sprint Tri

Started by afrutoz
Views: 946 Posts: 3

2008-06-11 10:13 AM momofthree
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together
date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?

date : July 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
I'm tapering this week for my first sprint triathlon. I'm thinking I may need to adjust my calorie intake for the decreased workout load? How do I make sure I am properly fueled for the race?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.
date : May 9, 2005
author : mikericci
Athletes should have completed at least one Olympic distance triathlon or swim 500 yards consecutively / bike 15 mile consecutively / run 3 miles consecutively.

date : May 9, 2005
author : mikericci
Sprint distance athletes should have completed 1-3 sprints and/or be able to swim 200 yards consecutively / bike 8 mile consecutively / run 1.5 miles consecutively.