General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Bike Shopping Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-23 9:22 AM

User image

Subject: New Bike Shopping
I'm thinking of upgrading my ride which is currently a converted road bike. Top of the line bikes are out of my price range, so I'm looking at bikes around $5K. Has anyone recently purchased a bike in this price range? Some of the things I'm confused about are the following. I appreciate any feedback!

1. How important is the drivetrain as it seems as though this can add thousands of $$ to the cost
2. If there's really not a significant difference between all the bikes, do you just go ride a couple and see what feels the best?
3. If it is a personal preference decision, how many bikes would you recommend testing? It seems as though most LBS tend to carry only a couple brands so I'd rather not run all over town riding bikes as I know I'll forget which one was which.
4. I'm also looking at buying online if it can save me some $. Bad idea?

Some of the bikes I'm looking at are:
- Felt IA4
- Trek Speed Concept 7
- Argon E-118 Next

2015-06-23 9:48 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: New Bike Shopping

If you are going to spend $5k on a bike, do yourself a favor and get fitted for a bike first.  It should help narrow the selection to those bikes that are geometrically best for your size and shape.

2015-06-23 10:00 AM

User image

Indian Hills, CO
Don't pick it on magazine reviews. Find all the shops in your area and ride everything in your price range.
2015-06-23 10:05 AM
in reply to: 0

, Idaho
Start with a bike fit...especially if you're spending that much money. Your bike fitter will let you know what bikes will work, and then you can go from there. I would not go with a super high end drivetrain, but I would make sure the one I was going with had good reviews.

Edited by d.wilk 2015-06-23 10:12 AM
2015-06-23 10:11 AM
in reply to: d.wilk

User image

How would a bike fit help me narrow down which brand to buy?
2015-06-23 10:13 AM
in reply to: 0

, Idaho
Originally posted by TXTriRook

How would a bike fit help me narrow down which brand to buy?

Your bike fitter will let you know which specific bikes will work with your body, and then your fitter or LBS can help you adjust the bike when you get it to dial it in to you.

If you're dead set on a certain bike, the fit will adjust the bike to work as well as possible with you, but it's always better to get fitted first.

Edited by d.wilk 2015-06-23 10:15 AM

2015-06-23 10:19 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Stack and Reach

You need to know YOUR ideal numbers

Then you buy the most aerodynamic bike that is closest to those two numbers.

extended reading
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/index.html
2015-06-23 11:45 AM
in reply to: d.wilk

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by d.wilk
Originally posted by TXTriRook How would a bike fit help me narrow down which brand to buy?
Your bike fitter will let you know which specific bikes will work with your body, and then your fitter or LBS can help you adjust the bike when you get it to dial it in to you. If you're dead set on a certain bike, the fit will adjust the bike to work as well as possible with you, but it's always better to get fitted first.

I don't know of any fitters that aren't operating out of their LBS....

Meaning they won't tell you a Specialized Transition is what fits you best if they don't carry that brand... 

Where does one find an "independent" fitter?

2015-06-23 12:00 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Honestly, I would choose the fitter that has the best reputation, LBS or not, and then compare the numbers on your own. Of course an LBS-based fitter will suggest (push) their own line, but when you are armed with your numbers the research can easily be done.
2015-06-23 12:42 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Mike and Rick - not saying that doesn't happen, but that hasn't been my personal experience at all. Typically the best fitters around these parts provide you with a whole list of bikes that will work along with the stack and reach numbers for each one, whether they carry the particular brand or not. They can add any bike you want even though it may not easily be made to fit you. A good fitter will discuss with you the options for all of the bikes you are interested in and what it will take to fit you successfully. The fitters I have worked with do this as an independent service for which you pay. Some of them will discount a portion (or even all) of the fitting fee if you do purchase a bike from the shop with which they are affiliated, but not all of them do. 

2015-06-23 1:02 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

@TriMike, you nailed my concern. If the LBS I get fitted at only carries Felt for example, I find it extremely unlikely they'll recommend and say I'm a perfect fit for anything but Felt. There are some very good LBS's in my area though so depending on cost maybe I'll go for more than 1 fitting. Someone on this site also recommended something called Retul which I was going to check out as well.

2015-06-23 1:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by TXTriRook @TriMike, you nailed my concern. If the LBS I get fitted at only carries Felt for example, I find it extremely unlikely they'll recommend and say I'm a perfect fit for anything but Felt. There are some very good LBS's in my area though so depending on cost maybe I'll go for more than 1 fitting. Someone on this site also recommended something called Retul which I was going to check out as well.

I just had a professional fit to my road bike this spring after the LBS I bought it from didn't fit me correctly.  Full disclosure, I found the bike online and went with whatever they did for the fit...Turns out I bought too big so my professional fit cost me even more as we had to swap a few parts to bridge the size gap...I definitely agree it's best to get fitted first, then buy...

I paid $250 for the fit so if you get fitted for substantially less than that there's the possibility it's of the quality I got initially.  Maybe not.

One option would be to have a fit at the most reputable LBS in your area, then once armed with your numbers, as WebFootFreak said, you should be able to test ride different brand bikes at other LBS's..

The only issue is you'll be out the cash from the first fit if you buy your bike elsewhere whereas any reputable shop I know of will credit back the fit $$ to the purchase of a bike (minimum price points likely will be in place).  And if you buy a bike at a shop other than your initial fit, there's always the chance they won't fit you properly either so you may be back to the first place to fix things....

Good luck, it's exciting buying a new bike.  N + 1 and all...

2015-06-23 4:03 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by TriMike

Originally posted by d.wilk
Originally posted by TXTriRook How would a bike fit help me narrow down which brand to buy?
Your bike fitter will let you know which specific bikes will work with your body, and then your fitter or LBS can help you adjust the bike when you get it to dial it in to you. If you're dead set on a certain bike, the fit will adjust the bike to work as well as possible with you, but it's always better to get fitted first.

I don't know of any fitters that aren't operating out of their LBS....

Meaning they won't tell you a Specialized Transition is what fits you best if they don't carry that brand... 

Where does one find an "independent" fitter?

Start with the fitter database on ST for your region.  Find the ones that don't have "xyz bicycles" in their contact info then look at their reviews.

2015-06-23 4:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I purchased my Trek Speed Concept from my local bike shop. Trek is the brand they carry and they performed my bike fit. I had a good relationship with the shop and trusted them. I could have purchased a different bike somewhere else but it was important for me to have local support for my bike if it needed service. I love my bike and the support I get from my local shop. I did shop and talk with other bike shops and compare prices but settled on my Trek and glad I did.

Happy shopping and post pictures.
2015-06-23 10:43 PM

@TriMike, you nailed my concern. If the LBS I get fitted at only carries Felt for example, I find it extremely unlikely they'll recommend and say I'm a perfect fit for anything but Felt. There are some very good LBS's in my area though so depending on cost maybe I'll go for more than 1 fitting. Someone on this site also recommended something called Retul which I was going to check out as well.

If the LBS you like sells Felt, then just buy the Felt. Of course they're going to fit you to the Felt or another brand that they carry and can sell you. There's nothing wrong with that, and I'm sure they can dial you in on something they carry. I've got four Treks, and it's not b/c I'm a Trek fanboy. It's because the best LBS in my area is a Trek store. I don't buy into the concept that only a certain brand is going to fit me unless you've got yourself a really wonky body. I'll buy lots of stuff online, but a bike isn't one of them. You're buying more than a bike, you're buying a relationship.

As far as saving money, I think you can certainly do so in the components choice. You don't have to go with electronic this or that or top of the line dura ace or red 22. . . a mix of ultegra/105's (11 speed) should do just fine. I got to think you can dial in something quite nice for 3.5k and not go out all the way to 5k unless you're adding race wheels to the build.
2015-06-24 7:20 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I don't buy into the concept that only a certain brand is going to fit me

You're right, but almost certainly some bikes will fit you better (and with less rigging/better handling/etc) than others. I (and if I can even a modestly competent fitter cas as well) can make most of the bikes I own "fit" somebody from 5'2" to 6' ... that doesn't mean that's the right bike for all of them.

2015-06-24 7:28 AM

Then the fitter is not reputable. They are 2 different transaction. There is a tri bike shop near me they will recommend brands that they do not carry as well as brands they carry. Now they carry: Cervello, Felt, Scott, Quintana Roo and Pinarello so there is usually one that they carry that is going to fit. They charge $175 for the fitting, if you buy a bike from them they give you a $100 credit.
2015-06-24 7:38 AM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by Sidney Porter
Originally posted by TXTriRook @TriMike, you nailed my concern. If the LBS I get fitted at only carries Felt for example, I find it extremely unlikely they'll recommend and say I'm a perfect fit for anything but Felt. There are some very good LBS's in my area though so depending on cost maybe I'll go for more than 1 fitting. Someone on this site also recommended something called Retul which I was going to check out as well.
Then the fitter is not reputable. They are 2 different transaction. There is a tri bike shop near me they will recommend brands that they do not carry as well as brands they carry. Now they carry: Cervello, Felt, Scott, Quintana Roo and Pinarello so there is usually one that they carry that is going to fit. They charge $175 for the fitting, if you buy a bike from them they give you a $100 credit.

This is not accurate.  A fitter's reputation should be based on their ability as a bike fitter, not whether they will bite the hand that feeds them (LBS the employer), let alone if it's a shop policy to not assist customers to buy elsewhere.  

Donto posted a comment about a fitter database on ST that locates fitters who are independent of shops which I think is a great thing to consider.  

Then it comes down to their reputation as fitters, to decide where to go...

2015-06-24 7:44 AM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I bought mine purely for looks :D. I saw it in a shop and fell in love! Unfortunately for me it was last years model and no shop in FL had it in my size. Luckily I was able to find my sized used online. I saved a few hundred if not thousand dollars. I would highly recommend getting fit first because thats what everyone else recommends, but thats not what I did. No shop wanted to fit me first. Every time I went in an asked they told me my size (3 shops all same size so I hoped they were right) and told me they could fit me to their bikes after. I think as long as you get the right size bike you should be able to be fit to most all bikes comfortably with all of the aftermarket options available now. If you want a bike with an integrated cockpit or fancy aero bars with few adjustment options though get fit first for sure! That being said there are exceptions and some people are less flexible than others and some bikes also offer few options for fit.

I think upgraded components aren't worth it. I've ridden 105's on my road bike and now rival on my tri bike. As long as everything is adjusted properly I have no problem shifting whatsoever. Now that I have my bike when I go to upgrade components I'll probably do 1 at a time and upgrade to the higher end because it wont cost as much to replace 1 derailleur as the whole groupset.
2015-06-24 8:10 AM

This is not accurate.  A fitter's reputation should be based on their ability as a bike fitter, not whether they will bite the hand that feeds them (LBS the employer), let alone if it's a shop policy to not assist customers to buy elsewhere.  

Donto posted a comment about a fitter database on ST that locates fitters who are independent of shops which I think is a great thing to consider.  

If the fitter only sells felt and says "the only perfect fit is a felt", I am going to question their integrity.
2015-06-24 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

If the fitter only sells felt and says "the only perfect fit is a felt", I am going to question their integrity.

I would question it also.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Bike Shopping Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New bike shopping - bikesdirect.com?

Started by Then&Now
Views: 1002 Posts: 6

2011-04-15 2:46 PM kbsnow

What to expect from a bike shop when buying a new bike

Started by BadPitBull
Views: 1110 Posts: 8

2009-12-27 2:07 AM red66stang

25% off shopping spree at bike shop!

Started by ipull400watts
Views: 1155 Posts: 2

2008-03-01 1:52 PM KenD

New Bike Shop

Started by BlueCorsair
Views: 1583 Posts: 25

2008-01-13 12:56 PM Shermbelle

Ohh new bike shop.

Started by mikenhe
Views: 743 Posts: 13

2004-07-14 7:03 PM Staredge
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : April 14, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
I follow a computer program that tracts everything I eat and measures the calories I burn but according to this program I am taking in way too much protein.

date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.

date : January 29, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
When first going aero, your shop should begin by putting you in the least aggressive position. This means the aerobar pads will be almost level or just below the saddle.
date : January 1, 2006
author : Ontherun
Tis the season to shop. These are a few of my plans when I go out looking for a new ride.

date : September 19, 2004
author : Machiavelo
Do you have a bicycle and do not know where to begin to find one if you do not? How should go about choosing a bicycle that will be best suited for your needs?