General Discussion Triathlon Talk » aero bars for road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-26 8:35 AM

Subject: aero bars for road bike
I am sure this has been asked before, but a search of past articles brought up hundreds of articles, so I will ask it again.

Having decided to ride my road bike at my next IM because of various reasons, I am thinking of putting some aero bars on my road bike. Any tips on what bars to avoid, which ones are fabulous, and any other tips? Do I need to change my saddle position, or even my saddle? I have an Adamo prologue on my tri bike. Road bike is the Bontrager road bike saddle.

Thoughts from those riding with the aero bars on the road bike? Do it? Don't and just ride as is? (While I can stay aero for long stretches on my tri bike, I do not have the flexibility to ride in the hoods for long periods)

The race course is relatively flat.

Edited by Dutchcrush 2015-06-26 8:42 AM

2015-06-26 1:00 PM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: aero bars for road bike
If you've decided on riding your road bike over your tri bike, I don't think you should start trying to make your road bike more like your tri bike (moving things like your saddle) to accommodate the aero bars. If you go down that path, it doesn't make much sense not to ride your tri bike.

Shorty bars usually work pretty well (vision mini's are what I use) on a road bike, although you may do better with a set of actual clip ons if you need higher stack and/or more reach. Really depends a lot on you.

Again, you have a tri bike, you've decided (for whatever reason) not to ride it and instead opted for your road bike. Don't screw up your road bike to have a worse tri bike.
2015-06-26 6:11 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Don't know why you wouldn't just use your tri bike. I have only one bike, so I slap shorties on - Profile GT Jammers, perfect for my compact bike and ride fit. Never regretted em
2015-06-28 1:32 AM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

User image

Extreme Veteran
What are the reasons for not using your tri bike?

Most people I know use the typical road bike fit, and use the shorty bars to get in a more aerodynamic position while not sacrificing the proper road bike fit.

As said above, unless your tri bike is toast, or there are serious fit issues, I'm not sure why you'd want to essentially turn the road bike into a poorer tri bike if you have one.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » aero bars for road bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Aero bars or No aero bars on road bike

Started by trevord
Views: 2555 Posts: 18

2014-03-08 9:33 AM RedCorvette

Aero bars on road bike

Started by Jtaylor
Views: 1293 Posts: 10

2009-04-22 8:38 AM nevergivin

Forerunner 305 and clip on aero bars for road bike

Started by jtm3
Views: 4548 Posts: 12

2009-04-14 4:31 PM the bear

Best aero bars for road bikes with drops?

Started by ThrottleJock
Views: 1315 Posts: 9

2007-12-27 7:29 AM ThrottleJock

Aero Bars on road bike?

Started by ACGRAY22
Views: 980 Posts: 19

2007-11-08 11:10 PM kalumbaugh
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : March 24, 2011
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?
date : May 25, 2009
comments : 0
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 3
A brief history on aero bar evolution with a review on the bars that I own and love.
date : January 29, 2007
author : sportfactory
When first going aero, your shop should begin by putting you in the least aggressive position. This means the aerobar pads will be almost level or just below the saddle.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
You can spend a small fortune on these pre-wrapped bundles of energy, thinking they offer magic ingredients-not true. “Energy” simply means “provides calories” and not “will make you feel energetic."