United States
TRIMOM Productions
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 21m 5s
Overall Rank = 42/144
Age Group = M 50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/11
Pre-race routine:

Early start - Up at 4, left house at 4.45. Cereal and banana for breakfast. Saturday had been a perfect day for a race, but unfortunately the race was on Sunday and the rain started overnight at Tropical Storm Bill rolled in. Drove down in showers and heavy rain, wondering if the race was going ahead. Stopped and pulled off the highway to head home at one point, but then the rain lightened and I felt compelled to go on. So glad I did (note to self for the future) as the race went ahead, despite the weather, and I really enjoyed it.
Event warmup:

Very little. Got transition area set up and only had time to swim a bit.
Swim
  • 11m 30s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 37s / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Everything was soaking wet because of the rain, so this was not a fast transition
Bike
  • 37m 52s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 18.22 mile/hr
Comments:

We were the first Sprint wave, so very few other riders once we split from the Olympic course. Took it easy because of the heavy rain, but was pretty happy with my time and rank - 31/144.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Wet running shoes were a problem, otherwise all good
Run
  • 28m 9s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

If this run was really 3.5 miles, I'm very happy with it, but I don't think it was quite that long. My GPS gave 3.2, but it sometimes measures a little short in the woods. Followed a couple other guys most of the way round, until they dropped me close to the end. Working hard, on the edge of getting a cramp, but didn't, so felt good overall. Weather was cool and rainy, which I definitely prefer for running
What would you do differently?:

Maybe start a little slower and push more toward the end.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

With the heavy rain, this was never going to be a fast race for me. This was first race of the season and I am training for a full marathon, so have not been biking or swimming much and was definitely not focused on going super-fast. It will be interesting to see if the marathon training, with an emphasis on long runs, pays off for me in triathlon. Two more before the end of the summer

Event comments:

I really liked this race - surprised it is not more popular, although I'm sure lots of people stayed home because of the weather. Nice swim in a protected area, interesting bike-ride on quiet roads, and I enjoyed the trail run. Lots of food, with pint glass and T-shirt as giveaways. Well done to TriMom for running a good race in challenging weather. It's an early start, but I would definitely come back for this one.

Last updated: 2015-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:30 | 440 yards | 02m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/144
Performance: Average
Felt pretty good on the swim (for me). A few passed me but ended up 67/144 overall, which is pretty good (for me...) Time above included run along the sand and into transition area. so you can maybe take 1 minute+ off this time.
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:37:52 | 11.5 miles | 18.22 mile/hr
Overall: 0/144
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Nice course - head out of park, winding country roads, couple of minor hills. Road surface a little variable. It was lashing rain, but on a dry day this would be really fun
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:09 | 03.5 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 51/144
Performance: Average
Course: Trail running - not very technical, but soft earth/firm sand all the way, and a few minor ups and downs
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-06-28 8:10 PM

Subject: "OH MY GODDARD!" Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » "OH MY GODDARD!" Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

"OH MY GODDARD!" Sprint Triathlon

Started by meaghandesigns
Views: 908 Posts: 1

2013-06-24 12:17 PM meaghandesigns

"OH MY GODDARD!" Sprint Triathlon

Started by JLAshley
Views: 739 Posts: 1

2012-06-25 10:40 AM JLAshley

"OH MY GODDARD" Sprint Triathlon

Started by vm354
Views: 1616 Posts: 1

2011-06-27 8:00 PM vm354

Oh My Goddard Sprint

Started by vm354
Views: 1274 Posts: 2

2010-06-28 7:06 AM camaleon

Oh My Goddard Sprint

Started by sharkbelly
Views: 1125 Posts: 2

2010-06-27 3:19 PM camaleon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.