General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-01 9:46 AM

Sarasota, Florida
Subject: Beginner Questions
Hi All,

I have always wanted to go for a triathlon but don't know anybody who has done one. I have always been an active guy and am a pretty good runner.
Some things that confuse me a bit:

1. Do you bike and run wet? I know there are changeover stations, but is it common to just wear tri-shorts alone and keep going? Right now I am just practicing in baggy trunks, socks and shoes and running after swimming isn't fun, maybe the bike ride dries you off some?

2. I typically do a bike ride on the weekends, then on my cardio days I run and swim the same day. I have noticed if I run within 1-2 days of swimming, I can get random shoulder cuff pain during my run. I often counter this pain by swinging my arms more outboard and speed my pace up to prevent bouncing since it's the bouncing that hurts it. I have never experienced this until I started training. Is this resulting from improper training or just something the unlucky tri-athletes live with?

3. How do you swim? I have never been on a swim team but learned the freestyle stroke off youtube. I try to rotate my body some to keep my arm inline and try using the high elbow. This is great for speed but wears me out for distances. As a result, I often change my stroke to not rotate and paddle my arms at a 45 degree angle so it's kind of a hybrid freestyle/breast stroke. This slows me down but allows me to recover before going back into a more proper stroke.

4. What about gear? Do you leave your shoes by your bike, in a bag on your bike or use a fanny pack for gear and hydration?

Thanks.

Edited by runtim23 2015-07-01 9:51 AM

2015-07-01 10:43 AM
in reply to: #5126028

User image

Subject: RE: Beginner Questions
I'm still a newbie myself, with only 1 race under my belt, but I'll answer to the best of my ability.

1.) You will have the chance to towel off in transition, but yes, you will be biking and running wet. In my race I used a towel to dry my feet off to make putting on socks easier, but didn't bother with much more than that. I just threw my shirt on over my wet torso and went. By the time I finished biking the only "water" left on me was my sweat.

2) I have no idea what might be causing you this pain. I've never experienced it and I'm not qualified to discuss solutions to this issue. Hopefully someone that has experieced this or has actual medical knowledge will pipe up.

3) My advice here is to get a coach or join a Masters swim program. If neither of these are feasible, break your workouts up into short sets - sets of 50 or 100 yards (or meters, depending on how your pool is measured). Take X amount of rest after each set, then repeat. This will let you work on your form without being really tired, and will also help build endurance. Once you start feeling confident with the shorter sets, add distance to it and see how it goes.

4) In transition, you will typically have the space right in front of and behind your bike. I placed my shoes (both pairs) in front of my bike, with my socks in my biking shoes. I placed my helmet upside down under my bike, and had my sunglasses and biking gloves inside of it. I draped the shirt I was wearing (with my race bib already pinned on) over the aerobars on my bike. I used a camelbac for hydration (stored it beneath my bike), but didn't worry about nutrition as it was only a sprint.

I hope that's helpful!
2015-07-01 11:07 AM
in reply to: runtim23

, Idaho
1. Wear the same shorts for the whole race (assuming you're doing a Sprint or Olympic). Tri shorts are great...they're good to swim in, they have padding for the bike and you run in them...no changing shorts. You will have wet shorts on the bike, but they dry off, and it doesn't bug at all. If you wear a wetsuit, wear your shorts (and possibly your top) underneath. If you don't wear a tri top, I suggest that you put on your cycling jersey after the swim and run in that also. It's hard to put something over your head (especially something tight) when you're wet. If I don't wear a tri top during the swim, I have a jersey that zips all the way up...it's very easy to slip on in transition.

3. Keep swimming lots and you'll gain swim fitness and be able to work on maintaining freestyle. BUT, technique is very important in swimming. Can you join a masters team or is there a local coach at your pool? Or do you know someone who swims well and can watch you swim? At the least, you need someone to watch you swim and give you some pointers. Post a video on this site and users will give you some tips also. There are tons of resources online to give you ideas, but try to get some coaching if possible.

4. You'll drop all of your gear by your bike. You'll set out your shoes, socks, race belt with your number on it, helmet, towel, etc. There are checklists online that tell you what to take to your first tri. Have a water bottle on your bike ready to go. There should be aid stations, so don't worry about carrying any hydration on the run. No need for a fanny pack.

2015-07-01 12:52 PM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Originally posted by runtim23

Hi All,

I have always wanted to go for a triathlon but don't know anybody who has done one. I have always been an active guy and am a pretty good runner.
Some things that confuse me a bit:

1. Do you bike and run wet? I know there are changeover stations, but is it common to just wear tri-shorts alone and keep going? Right now I am just practicing in baggy trunks, socks and shoes and running after swimming isn't fun, maybe the bike ride dries you off some?

Usually by the run, I am dry except for sweat. You dry off quick on the bike, I live in the south so it is not an issue.

2. I typically do a bike ride on the weekends, then on my cardio days I run and swim the same day. I have noticed if I run within 1-2 days of swimming, I can get random shoulder cuff pain during my run. I often counter this pain by swinging my arms more outboard and speed my pace up to prevent bouncing since it's the bouncing that hurts it. I have never experienced this until I started training. Is this resulting from improper training or just something the unlucky tri-athletes live with?

Take something for the pain and make sure you are doing a little warm-up to get the muscles ready. I would expect the pain to decrease as your body gets adjusted to the training.

3. How do you swim? I have never been on a swim team but learned the freestyle stroke off youtube. I try to rotate my body some to keep my arm inline and try using the high elbow. This is great for speed but wears me out for distances. As a result, I often change my stroke to not rotate and paddle my arms at a 45 degree angle so it's kind of a hybrid freestyle/breast stroke. This slows me down but allows me to recover before going back into a more proper stroke.

Join a Masters swim team or ask around for a good coach to work with you on the swimming.

4. What about gear? Do you leave your shoes by your bike, in a bag on your bike or use a fanny pack for gear and hydration?

I place my items on a small towel. There are some good Youtube videos on Triathlon transitions. I place my helmet on the bike upside down with the straps out so I can put on quick. I have my bike items together on the towel and my run items together on the towel. I don't wear socks in a race so no issues with wet feet and socks.

Recommend the training plans on this web site. Welcome to the sport and good luck.

Thanks.
2015-07-01 12:55 PM
in reply to: d.wilk

User image

Expert
Floriduh
One thing I have come to truly understand is that triathlon is a moist sport. Your are wet from the beginning with the swim, and yes, there is probably a time during the bike where you are dry. But this is very shortly followed by getting wet again from sweat during the remainder of the bike and then the run (especially true here in Florida). You will eventually find a set of race clothing (ie, your "kit") that you are comfortable in and don't rub or chafe during the race, took me 3 races before I found the right kit for me. First key ingredient is to invest in a decent pair of triathlon shorts.
2015-07-01 6:59 PM
in reply to: 0

Sarasota, Florida
Thank you for the replies and sharing your methods.
I didn't even know there was something called a masters club, but there are a couple in my area.
I will probably make an appointment to use a coach for an hour at minimum.

This clears much up for me.

I will look into trishorts and some more formal training programs as well.
I have been tempted to try the coveted Ironman, but I'm a skinny guy and I know when I run 10ks I lose even more weight! I Of course I usually run them under 45 minutes, but it hurt my weight training, so I try to stick to 5ks and 5k obstacles. A triathlon has been on my bucket list since I was a kid though, so I figured I'd get it done with a sprint and see how I hold up.

...then I'll start dreaming, possibly look into marathons and work my way up if I choose to sacrifice some time and weight for glory.

Edited by runtim23 2015-07-01 7:01 PM

2015-07-02 5:23 AM
in reply to: #5126028

Proper swimming technique will help you swim with less efforts and less chance of injuries. I would therefore look for a swim or triathlon team.

As for biking wet, i would advise testing your gear. I personally décidéd to buy the tri shorts after experimenting the chaffing while biking in a bathing suit...

There is no privacy on the changing zones, it is an open zone. You will not want to undress there.

If you are not doing so already, practice in open water once in a while. It will help you feel confortable the day of the race. The technique is also slightly different then swimming pool swimming.
2015-07-02 12:20 PM
in reply to: Antoine tri

Sarasota, Florida
Thanks. I was kind of curious about that. If they had restrooms at the transition zones.
I'm glad I didn't put Ironman on my bucket list as a kid! $800 for the next one.
I'm not saying there aren't costs involved, but that's just way too much for me!
I felt guilty when I bought my $300 mountain bike which I plan on using for the sprint.

Thanks for the taking time to reply on a "i'm just here cause it sounds fun" member.
I wasn't aware of the dramatically serious costs and commitment towards these things.
Kudos to those that achieve.
2015-07-02 12:31 PM
in reply to: 0

Here's my observations as a 3 year noob (completer, not a competer)

A lot depends on what lengths your trying to do and what your goals are.
Sprints for fun? You can do on a mountain bike with board shorts and a t-shirt for the bike/run.
Of course, once you're in....you're hooked and all the other advice applies. Although, I find my tri-shorts much more comfortable than cycling shorts. The pad's too big on a lot of those cycling specific shorts.

Swimming.
Again...depends on what lengths and what your goals are.
Sprints for fun? Dog paddle if you want.
If you're going farther....
Lots of videos online. I've found it's pretty easy to adjust form. At least for me. I started with videos to try to get "better" form and remove any bad habits. Also to just get used to being able to actually control my body enough to change things so that coaching would be more valuable. Then went to a coach/swim teacher for a few lessons (I'm a completer and a cheapskate). I went to make sure I wouldn't hurt myself or do something dumb. If I want to go further/faster..I'd invest more money in swimming.

Shoulder pain: I used to weigh 300+ lbs. Always had shoulder, lower back and knee pain. Strength training solved almost all that. However....that was for ME. I'm not a doctor and I don't even play one on TV.

Gear...covered.
However, the best value item I've spent money on in this racket was a race belt I got on clearance at a running store. Less than $5.
No need to deal with safety pins. Saw some new things...rare earth magnets....but I'm not sure I'd go for those in tri. Too hard to mess with in transition. The belt is simple.

Edit: I see the restroom bit was already addressed, but I'll leave it anyway....

Oh...here's the other big question I had going in to this.
What if I have to pee?
There's often porta potties right outside transition (although, there can sometimes be lines right before the race) and sometimes a few along the course.
The pre-race lines are a lot shorter if its an open water swim, if you know what I mean.
I've also pulled over next to a cornfield.

Edited by jhaack39 2015-07-02 12:33 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Questions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

"Beginner" question from...well, not a "beginner" Pages: 1 2 3

Started by swishyskirt
Views: 3988 Posts: 53

2009-01-09 5:21 PM swishyskirt

beginners question for rowers - long and rambling

Started by sanjana
Views: 1031 Posts: 12

2005-04-04 12:39 PM CLLinIA

Beginner Questions- Training time, Equipment, etc...

Started by asmiley72
Views: 769 Posts: 6

2005-03-23 8:50 PM Joe M

Two beginner questions

Started by regimom
Views: 893 Posts: 8

2004-11-15 10:03 PM webguy

Beginner question about the training plans

Started by rost
Views: 722 Posts: 2

2004-06-20 12:32 AM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 5, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 4
The grand pull to Kona is both a product of our sport's mythology, marketing, and the intangible desires that each create.

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.