General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Snake-ing" while in aero Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-03 1:01 PM

User image

Subject: "Snake-ing" while in aero
Hey All. I've been away from Tri for a while, mostly doing road events. I only just put my aero bars on my new bike (Trek Madone 2.1).

I've noticed that when I'm putting power down in aero position, I can feel my "hips" twitching back and forth, and I find my front end following suit, so I'm guessing I look a little bit like a snake going down the road.

Does this suggest some sort of set-up problem to anyone? Seat doesn't seem to high, as I've got a decent knee bend, so I don't think it's my hips rocking up and down...

I'm what could politely be termed a 'super-Clydesdale', so I've got plenty of hip to twitch. (In fact, the reason I'm on the Madone is that I cracked the carbon frame on my Fuji...)

2015-07-03 1:45 PM
in reply to: coreyasaur

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: "Snake-ing" while in aero

I have a similar "snake-ing" thing going on when I ride but mine is caused from a fairly significant power imbalance between my legs.  I have some muscle and nerve damage in my left leg and it only generates about half the power as my right.  I do feel it in my hips and have to be careful not to overtax my good leg.

2015-07-08 12:46 PM
in reply to: coreyasaur

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Originally posted by coreyasaur

I'm what could politely be termed a 'super-Clydesdale', so I've got plenty of hip to twitch. (In fact, the reason I'm on the Madone is that I cracked the carbon frame on my Fuji...)

From one Clyde to another, if you are making power the Madone will crack as well(went through 2 of them), Domane is the better choice for us men of larger stature, the brand new Madone may have solved the problem for us bigger guys but don't be surprised if you crack your Madone as well.
2015-07-08 2:39 PM
in reply to: diablo243

User image

Originally posted by diablo243

Originally posted by coreyasaur

From one Clyde to another, if you are making power the Madone will crack as well(went through 2 of them), Domane is the better choice for us men of larger stature, the brand new Madone may have solved the problem for us bigger guys but don't be surprised if you crack your Madone as well.

Oh. That's...unfortunate. Which Madone model were you riding? I've got the low end 2.1, so it's an Al frame. I'm leery of Carbon fiber going forward unless I drop about 70 lbs...
2015-07-08 4:34 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by popsracer

I have a similar "snake-ing" thing going on when I ride but mine is caused from a fairly significant power imbalance between my legs.  I have some muscle and nerve damage in my left leg and it only generates about half the power as my right.  I do feel it in my hips and have to be careful not to overtax my good leg.

Similar problem here since my hip replacement. My left leg is now a half inch shorter than my right but there is a discernible difference in power output. The gap is closing but still there. Interestingly it is less pronounced when I am at a lower cadence like when climbing. If I hit a high rpm flat or on a downhill it is really evident.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Snake-ing" while in aero Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Snake in the pool

Started by tri_d00d
Views: 1754 Posts: 7

2008-09-11 11:55 AM velorider62

Aero helmet without Aero wheels?

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1782 Posts: 9

2008-07-04 10:58 PM jeffy_101

Snakes on a Swim Pages: 1 2

Started by Rum_Runner
Views: 2997 Posts: 30

2008-02-29 11:45 AM JoshKaptur

Whiling away the time...

Started by JerseyQuaker
Views: 1849 Posts: 5

2007-10-12 7:28 AM pinktrigal

Aero Helmet vs. Aero Wheels Pages: 1 2

Started by Tri-Atlanta
Views: 3564 Posts: 27

2006-08-02 6:10 AM Daz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
What is the best way to carry fluid on your bike in a triathlon?

date : March 24, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?
date : June 11, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 2
So someone convinced you to get off the couch and truck-it to the finish line. Now what? Here's a look at the process from admiring others to inspiring others.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.