General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming back from illness/surgery - wow, am I out of shape Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-04 8:50 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: Coming back from illness/surgery - wow, am I out of shape
Just starting back on my journey after several months of being ill, and ultimately surgery to correct the problems I was having. I have done almost no training the past several months as I've not really felt well enough to get into it on a consistent basis. And the only thing that made me feel better while I was sick was eating, so you can quickly figure where that led weight wise.

I have the all clear from my docs to do whatever I want so I've just eased back into moving again. It is shocking to me just how out of shape I am. This shouldn't be much of a surprise, but its like a harsh slap in the face. And its enormously humbling as well. Honestly, I feel like I'm back where I was nearly 5 years ago to the day when I took my first steps (literally & figuratively - I joined BT 5 years ago today) into the tri world, only with far more knowledge & experience (have done 25 or so races). I have a sprint I'm going to do in early September as my first goal. then focus on continued, consistent training to get me in shape to start serious training in December for some possible big doings next summer. Nice to have the Tour de France start today for a bit of bike motivation.

Need to start slow, and given my conditioning right now, that shouldn't be a problem . No real question for the group, just sharing some early AM thoughts with the community that would understand. I'm looking forward to the challenge, and knowing how freakin' amazing it feels to get to that place where you feel great, have confidence, and once again have clothes that fit.

Happy July 4th, all you Americans out there. To everyone else, happy Saturday.

2015-07-04 11:12 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Expert
Montana
Subject: RE: Coming back from illness/surgery - wow, am I out of shape
Happy Independence Day to you! And, go get 'em!
2015-07-04 11:49 AM

Scottsdale, AZ
Welcome back and glad you are feeling better and ready to get back to it!

Your body will remember - but it will take time so remember to go slowly. Good you have a race on the calendar to give you a goal.

I think many of us forget what a blessing it is to get out and train everyday. Enjoy every step and you will be back to it in no time!!

Happy 4th to you!
2015-07-04 4:46 PM
in reply to: #5126626

User image

You probably are back in the shape you were when you first started- it really is like starting over when you've lost that much time in a break. But the difference is it will come back faster this time. Just be patient with yourself and kind to yourself.

Welcome back.
2015-07-05 10:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Been there and done that so I know exactly where you are coming from. I was hit by a car and lost almost a year. For me the weight was a bigger issue than the training. I am still trying to get those last few pounds off to get back to where I was the day of the accident.

My advice is to focus on what you enjoy most to get back some conditioning and start to drop the weight. I spent most of my time riding because I knew I would do that. I do not like to run and if I was sticking to a formal training plan that required running 2-3 times a week I would give up before I could begin to see some progress.

You know you can do it. You just need to get back in to the routine.

GOOD LUCK!

2015-07-06 6:35 AM

User image

Regular
Mike - been there doing that.

Diagnosed with cancer in 2013 so I didn't train for 7-8 months. Started back in February 2014. Still can't run & ride like I used to but that's from some complications during treatment. Like said above, be patient and try not to overdo it. It'll come back a lot quicker than you think.

2015-07-06 11:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Yes, best of luck in getting back to it - i second the part about doing the parts that you enjoy most. It's better when you really love.

I didn't have the same experience but came back after having a baby a couple of years ago - and although the first while was hard not to have the same fitness, it really did come back. I've even managed to notch a few PR's. Muscles memory is an amazing thing.

Welcome back! 

Edited by juniperjen 2015-07-06 11:20 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming back from illness/surgery - wow, am I out of shape Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Coming Back After Collar Bone Surgery

Started by rungirl222
Views: 1616 Posts: 7

2013-02-18 1:56 PM colinphillips

Coming back from Surgery

Started by Mister Mike
Views: 1192 Posts: 9

2012-11-27 5:54 PM spudone

Who has come back after back surgery?

Started by Rad-Onc PA
Views: 2261 Posts: 15