United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 06m 29s
Overall Rank = 6/200
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Cut out of work early and busted a55 to the race site for a 6pm start and met up with Pete. Found out the "competitive heat" didn't start until 7:15, figured that I'd be competitive since I'm pretty good at drinking beer and sometimes run okay too, but Pete and I eyeballed a couple of short short wearing runner types lining up to sandbag in the second heat so we did the same. These weren't the full on bearded bandanna wearing types but they looked fast enough.
Event warmup:

ran a half mile to check out the beer stations and did a few strides
Run
  • 06m 29s
  • 1 miles
  • 06m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

The start was interesting, a couple good drinkers got out quick, one of them was running well then another came flying by as I moved up too. Managed a pretty good pace on the first leg, trying to coast downhill but my knee was bothering me and so didn't really get up on step at all. Moved into 3rd place shortly into the second quarter and stayed there through the third beer station, #1 and #2 were both drinking and running well and increasing their gap, I managed a key burp just prior to the 4th beer station that helped the building pressure situation immensely, the 4th beer was still questionable as to whether it would stay down or try and come up for a few seconds but another solid belch a few steps into the 4th quarter opened up the needed room. About this time dude #2 pulled into the weeds to blow some chunks and I thought I'd easily pass him and move into 2nd but he was a trooper and hardly broke stride, I did close the gap substantially after that but he heard me coming and stepped it up a notch into the finish. Finished third in my heat and the competitive heat had 3 guys do under 6:30 as well so I figure I was 6th, although the guy that chucked should have done a penalty lap...
What would you do differently?:

Not much, don't know that I want to get really good at the beer mile, just a fun event to keep things from getting too serious. Overall I thought 6:30 would be a pretty good time and I expected to spend more than a minute drinking beer, pretty much nailed those predictions. 2 guys went just under 6, one of them knocked back his first beer in under 4 seconds, clearly I'm not as good at drinking beer as I initially thought.
Post race
Warm down:

Pizza and watching a few more heats of the madness.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The rate at which I can transfer liquid from a container to my stomach. Also think I should run about 10s faster, but not bad for a first try.

Event comments:

Surprisingly well organized and well attended. $8 for 4 beers, a nice tee shirt, chip timing, and pizza, that's a great event.

Last updated: 2015-07-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:06:29 | 01 miles | 06m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/200
Performance: Good
lap 1: 9.78 beer 1:06.47 run, lap 2: 25.26 beer 1:23.58 run, lap 3: 22.89 beer 1:21.78 run, lap 4: 22.17 beer 1:17.25 run Total: 1:20 drinking beer and 5:09 running
Course: out and back, slightly downhill on the out, uphill on the back. Beer zones were like an aide station and added slightly to the mile as you had to come around the station before finishing your beer and crossing the line, tip cup on your head, throw in garbage can and get moving. Beer of the day was non conforming: not in cans but instead in cups but was an almost sickly sweet microbrew, pretty good actually, maybe with a slice of orange, if you aren't drinking on the clock.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-07-07 9:28 PM

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Subject: Martin City Beer Mile

2015-07-07 11:35 PM
in reply to: #5127339

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Martin City Beer Mile

Great race, Mike. Clearly it was a tough day on the course for many other racers. Congrats on handling the conditions out there. Way to power thought that 4th beer and time that burp. It's obvious that your training prepared you for this event and it paid off.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Martin City Beer Mile Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Terrapin Beer 5k Plus One More Mile

Started by karen26.2
Views: 973 Posts: 1

2009-04-18 8:23 PM karen26.2

Terrapin Beer 5k Plus One More Mile

Started by porcelina23
Views: 833 Posts: 1

2009-04-18 5:12 PM porcelina23

Twin Cities 1 Mile

Started by co_tri_guy
Views: 733 Posts: 1

2007-05-04 9:08 AM co_tri_guy

Ocean City NJ 1 mile ocean swim

Started by fishnrich
Views: 1401 Posts: 2

2006-07-31 1:10 PM la_guerita

All-America City 10K and 2 Mile Run/Walk

Started by nuke_angel
Views: 1398 Posts: 6

2006-02-07 10:15 AM oliveview
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.