General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape the Cape Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Escape the Cape Triathlon - Olympic Distance - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
North Cape May, New Jersey
United States
DelMoSports
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 05m 22s
Overall Rank = 317/468
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Granola bar and coffee on drive down
Event warmup:

No warm up other than walking around the ferry waiting to go
Swim
  • 29m 42s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Forgot to start garmin before jumping. Overall swim felt great. Current bringing us in was a huge help. Course was extremely well marked with volunteers and support staff.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, this was my strongest part of the day
Transition 1
  • 07m 41s
Comments:

Time was a bit long as I had to detour to bathroom out of water and prior to entering transition. Run from beach to transition are was pretty long but not bad. Had one gel before getting on bike
Bike
  • 1h 22m 9s
  • 25 miles
  • 18.26 mile/hr

I had one bottle filled with water and Nuun and one with a Gu Brew. In hindsight that was not enough calories. I should have had a gel or two during the bike to try and compensate for the fact that I didn't have enough prior to the race as I bonked hard on the run.
Transition 2
  • 04m 17s
Comments:

Had another Gel before run but wasn't enough in the end. Also forgot to untie laces prior to setting up transition so that didn't help. Had shoes in a bag to keep them dry from the rain so that cost a little time as well

Make sure shoelaces are untied when setting up
Run
  • 1h 01m 34s
  • 5 miles
  • 12m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I did not have enough calories during the race and after the first section of beach I bonked hard. I just couldn't keep my heart rate down and recover after that . Lots more walking than I intended. I initially planned for a walk break of 1 minute for every 10 but the beach combined with not fueling properly killed me.

I am not a fan at all of the beach run but I can't blame the course. Had I fueled properly I would have done much better.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with family, had some of the food from the tent and water. Walked around to cool off and enjoyed the obligatory post race beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Failing to fuel properly cost me 5 to 10 minutes at least.

Event comments:

Two negatives to get out of the way that aren't really things that should keep you away from this race. It started late but that was because of fog and weather so no knock on the organizers there. I would rather start late than have them cancel the swim. The other negative for me is the beach run. I hated that part but recognize that may be part of the "charm" of this event and others may like it as much as I hate it.

The event was very well organized and supported. The swim was especially well supported with volunteers and at no point did I feel unsafe or uncomfortable in the water. I would definitely recommend this to other people with the warning that you should not underestimate how much the soft sand of the beach can take out of you.

Last updated: 2015-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:42 | 1760 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/468
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 07:41
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:22:09 | 25 miles | 18.26 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Course was a little damp since it rained prior to race start but dry for the most part. Although a good portion of road was fine there was a rough patch. Not much you can do about it just mentioning it. Course was well marked and the ride was enjoyable. It would be nice if it wasn't two laps but that is just a personal preference thing.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:17
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:01:34 | 05 miles | 12m 19s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back course with 3 sections on the beach. Not much in the way of shade. 4 water stops.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-07-13 8:54 AM

Subject: Escape the Cape Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape the Cape Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Escape the Cape Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by nfp105
Views: 915 Posts: 1

2015-06-29 9:00 PM nfp105

Escape the Cape Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by Monty
Views: 1142 Posts: 1

2015-06-16 6:12 PM Monty

Escape The Cape Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by nfp105
Views: 1062 Posts: 3

2014-06-12 8:56 PM nfp105

Started by C_Hassard
Views: 920 Posts: 1

2014-06-09 10:51 AM C_Hassard

Started by rtritsch
Views: 1091 Posts: 1

2013-08-09 2:17 PM rtritsch
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 3, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on getting faster than 1:35/100m, IM swim training, counting strokes and improving an Olympic distance swim.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : August 7, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 3
After your first triathlon, how many days off should you take to rest? How should you start your training again?
date : October 4, 2006
author : dleii
At some point I remember thinking about the movie CAPE FEAR. This is what it seemed like when I was around a lot of people. It was just a lot of commotion of waves, arms and feet.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.