Other Resources My Cup of Joe » True Detective 2/ Ray Donovan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-14 10:41 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: True Detective 2/ Ray Donovan

Anyone watching?

IMO, this one started really slow, but has gotten better. The story seems to be shaping up but still has me guessing sometimes. I like all the different dynamics of the cops (McAdams, Ferrell and Taylor k), not sure I am buying Vince Vaughn as a bad guy though, he will always be the guy from Swingers to me.

I absolutely love the Ray Donovan show and I really can't say why, which is weird. This season kicked off strong I thought and was really good. I am anxious to see where the creepy priest goes and Mr. Finney, and yes to Katie Holmes (Always thought she was a hottie)

2015-07-15 10:08 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: True Detective 2/ Ray Donovan

I'm watching True Detective - reserving judgment until its over.

2015-07-15 10:15 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro

My wife talked me into watching True Detective with her and I am reminded why I don't watch TV. 

2015-07-16 10:34 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by jford2309

< and yes to Katie Holmes (Always thought she was a hottie)

and Kelly Reilly, she's just, well, daaaamn!
2015-07-16 12:44 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not enjoying Season 2 of TD as much as the first. I think it's because a) some of the newness has worn off and b) I'm not finding the mystery to be as compelling, at least not yet.
The performances are pretty good so far-- I wish they'd do more with Rachel McAdam's character. She's sort of the protagonist but I feel like we know less about her than about her partners or Vince Vaughn's charater.
Last episode's shootout (which mirrored the shootout in season 1, which also took place in the 4th episode) was exciting. I'm hopeful that signals an increase in the pacing of the show from now on. It's been moving a little slowly for my taste. Too many looooooong overhead shots of highways.
The plot reminds me of the old Jack Nicholson movie, "Chinatown" where what seems like a case of simple local government corruption has this sleazy underbelly.

2015-07-16 2:50 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn I'm not enjoying Season 2 of TD as much as the first. I think it's because a) some of the newness has worn off and b) I'm not finding the mystery to be as compelling, at least not yet. The performances are pretty good so far-- I wish they'd do more with Rachel McAdam's character. She's sort of the protagonist but I feel like we know less about her than about her partners or Vince Vaughn's charater. Last episode's shootout (which mirrored the shootout in season 1, which also took place in the 4th episode) was exciting. I'm hopeful that signals an increase in the pacing of the show from now on. It's been moving a little slowly for my taste. Too many looooooong overhead shots of highways. The plot reminds me of the old Jack Nicholson movie, "Chinatown" where what seems like a case of simple local government corruption has this sleazy underbelly.

I'd seen a comparison of the amazing tracking shot scene from season 1 to this season's shootout at another site. To me it sums up the whole difference in quality between the two seasons. This week's shoot out was a fairly good effort, though not spectacular (I saw someone compare it to the shoot out in Heat, yeah right).

The tracking shot from last season was one of the most amazing, technically difficult scenes ever made for TV. Couple that with Matthew McConaughey's scenes as the older Rust. The great job Woody Harrelson did as the counter to McConaughey. The unsettling supernatural elements, cinematography, direction. It was some the best TV ever, except for the fairly weak ending.

If I hadn't seen last season to compare to, I'd think think this year's effort was better than most. Since I have, this season is....okay.

Good comparison to Chinatown, it does seem similar. Though so far it seems like trying to keep track of the plot of Chinatown and The Two Jakes at the same time. 

2015-07-17 8:37 AM
in reply to: wingsfan

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

But what about Vince Vaughn? I still am not sure that I believe he is this tough/mafia type guy. Not sure he was cast in the right part.

And yeah, that was one heck of a shootout!  How many rounds do they carry???

2015-07-20 3:43 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

But what about Vince Vaughn? I still am not sure that I believe he is this tough/mafia type guy. Not sure he was cast in the right part.

In the case of Det. Bezzarides, not enough, apparently.

I was in the "let's give hiim a chance" camp with Vince Vaughn when it seemed as though his character was going to be the "former gangster gone straight", but whenever he has to really get dirty, I don't really believe him. Perfect example was the fight with the pimp with the gold teeth. Sorry, I'm not buying that Vince Vaughn, 6 foot five or not, is going to win easily in a brawl with a gangbanger. When he gets angry, he just sounds like Jeremy in Wedding Crashers when he was annoyed that his buddy didn't know what "hot route" meant.
2015-07-20 4:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

In the case of Det. Bezzarides, not enough, apparently. I was in the "let's give hiim a chance" camp with Vince Vaughn when it seemed as though his character was going to be the "former gangster gone straight", but whenever he has to really get dirty, I don't really believe him. Perfect example was the fight with the pimp with the gold teeth. Sorry, I'm not buying that Vince Vaughn, 6 foot five or not, is going to win easily in a brawl with a gangbanger. When he gets angry, he just sounds like Jeremy in Wedding Crashers when he was annoyed that his buddy didn't know what "hot route" meant.

Vaughn's character is trying to raise money to get back on track......I keep waiting for him to organize a dodge ball tournament.

I'm going to have to take the word of the folks who say that season 1 was really good......because this show sucks.  There is NO pace.  There is not one single likeable character.  Even the backdrop for the entire show and the initially murdered character suck.  I haven't been able to find one thing to care about in the entire series.  Now it's looking like Colin Ferrel's character may be the most likeable.....great, a guy who's idea of a retirement job is going to work as the muscle for a gangster collecting monthly rent from illegal aliens just trying to scrape by.  Now the principals are looking for some gal that hasn't been mentioned since episode 1 so I can't really give a rats arse if they find her either.

There is no way this can stand as good television.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-07-20 4:05 PM
2015-07-21 9:04 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

dodge ball tournament made me laugh! 

So what about Ray Donavan on Showtime? Anyone watching that?

2015-07-27 9:19 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

2 episodes left and I am no where closer to figuring this out...

2015-07-27 9:34 AM

User image

Pro

More complete dumbness and gratuitous plot stupidity. 

Why in the hell did they have Bezzerides go to the sex party as a hooker?  What was the point of that??  My wife says, in all seriousness because I know she wants me to enjoy watching this crap with her, "she went there so Velcoro and Woodrugh would know where the house was to get the papers they got".   You know how a dog looks at you sometimes and cocks it's head as if to say......wtf are you doing?  I'm sure my head and face looked just like that. 

Next week when she tries to get me to sit down and watch this garbage I'm going to break out the Lonesome Dove DVD.

2015-07-27 8:50 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I especially enjoyed the part where Woodrough and Velcoro reenacted the scene from Beverly Hills Cop when Axel Foley and the two detectives sneak into the mansion that's guarded by conveniently oblivious armed goons.
2015-08-03 9:20 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

That was a weird episode last night. IMO this show is getting harder and harder to follow and I do not see how they clear it up in a 90 minute finale.

SPOILER ALERT (like that many are watching)

I really did not like seeing Woodrow getting killed and I still don't buy Vince Vaughn as a bad/tough guy they are trying to make him out to be.

So I wonder, if I had not seen TD last season, who I have liked this season more?

2015-08-03 11:03 AM

User image

Pro

That was a weird episode last night. IMO this show is getting harder and harder to follow and I do not see how they clear it up in a 90 minute finale.

SPOILER ALERT (like that many are watching)

I really did not like seeing Woodrow getting killed and I still don't buy Vince Vaughn as a bad/tough guy they are trying to make him out to be.

So I wonder, if I had not seen TD last season, who I have liked this season more?

I didn't watch last night........I was hoping your spoiler alert was going to be that the entire cast was killed.

2015-08-06 2:45 PM

User image

I'm ready to see this season end and hope for a good finale.  

Did anyone know that Rick Springfield is playing the creepy doctor?  A slightly different look that when he played a doctor on General Hospital.

2015-08-11 8:42 AM

User image

What a disappointment.  I'm interested to hear they are planning a third season.

2015-08-13 1:20 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by Hook'em

What a disappointment.  I'm interested to hear they are planning a third season.

I've decide that Woody and Matthew conspired to make this season horrible so last season would seem even better than it was.

2015-08-13 6:16 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I sort of did a marathon over the last week.  It was average to me.  Maybe even less so compared to season one.  I never really got invested and even sort of lost track of people and what their roll was.  Creepy doctor would show up - not sure what his involvement was.  Cops hippy dad was wrapped up in a minor way - they guy with his eyes burned out was by some kid for payback?  Then there were some blue diamonds in there?  Some orthodox jews that dealt in black market diamonds?  Most of the time I was on my Ipad with it on in the background...

Guess I'm saying I never got hooked enough to really invest.  Season 1 was better.

Oh, and for good TV, and cop shows.  I suggest The Wire (on demand) it's old, but MAN, a good show that was under-rated.

2015-08-15 1:08 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro
Tejas
Wowza! What a stinker! I think the only redeeming quality of the whole season was Rachel McAdams. Nice to see she can pull off a role where she's not the frilly girl. Nice of the producers not stereotyping all female cops as a lesbians for a change too. Vaughn as a the bad guy? He really tried too hard. I think if he had spoken in a normal voice, he would have actually been a scary guy. Colin Farrell, WTF was all the grunting about? He tried too hard to project a "whiskey, drugs and cigarettes" hoarse voice. Came off as goofy. Only thing worse than wasting the time to watch this disjointed fiasco was the three minutes I just wasting here btiching about it.
2015-08-15 1:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Kido

I sort of did a marathon over the last week.  It was average to me.  Maybe even less so compared to season one.  I never really got invested and even sort of lost track of people and what their roll was.  Creepy doctor would show up - not sure what his involvement was.  Cops hippy dad was wrapped up in a minor way - they guy with his eyes burned out was by some kid for payback?  Then there were some blue diamonds in there?  Some orthodox jews that dealt in black market diamonds?  Most of the time I was on my Ipad with it on in the background...

Guess I'm saying I never got hooked enough to really invest.  Season 1 was better.

Oh, and for good TV, and cop shows.  I suggest The Wire (on demand) it's old, but MAN, a good show that was under-rated.

After three years of trying, I finally convinced a buddy to watch The Wire. He's on a marathon Wire binge as we speak! It's in the top ten list of TV shows for sure!

Edited by mdg2003 2015-08-15 1:12 PM

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » True Detective 2/ Ray Donovan Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

True Detective Pages: 1 2

Started by jford2309
Views: 2675 Posts: 28

2014-03-11 4:38 AM Hook'em

I don't like Rachael Ray Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Comet
Views: 2923 Posts: 83

2006-11-26 9:34 AM betyoursilver

A ray of sunshine

Started by lobstergirl
Views: 610 Posts: 7

2006-05-25 11:38 PM Comet

Ray Nagin Re-Elected as mayor of New Orleans

Started by tri_it_cajun_style
Views: 703 Posts: 10

2006-05-22 11:31 AM Comet

Tate Donovan on Tris/Marathons

Started by MomX3
Views: 883 Posts: 8

2006-02-15 6:32 PM BellinghamSpence
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?