General Discussion Triathlon Talk » great workout Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-15 1:33 AM

Subject: great workout
38 mile ride with 1500ft of climbs. Not much for most, but pretty good for me. The best part was the 2000 calories burned. Made the beer afterwards taste great!

Edited by amerimanyo 2015-07-15 1:57 AM

2015-07-15 9:29 AM
in reply to: amerimanyo

Subject: RE: great workout

Congrats on the great workout! 

Not to be a debbie downer here, but the calories burned does seem a bit high for 38miles & 1500ft climbing - are you sure you're getting those cal burns correct? (I say this as I get my cal count from a powermeter, and 2000 calories burned takes me close to 50mi + 5000ft climbing.)

2015-07-16 9:49 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Those #'s are probably based off his HR.

HIJACK alert :D. How accurate are our watches for calorie burn? When the algorithm reads our HR and other factors is it close?
2015-07-16 1:10 PM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Lupy

Those #'s are probably based off his HR.

HIJACK alert :D. How accurate are our watches for calorie burn? When the algorithm reads our HR and other factors is it close?

Been wondering the same thing. I have a pretty low HR and sometimes I think that when my watch uses HR it is underestimating my calorie burn. I just can't see how it is so different.

Here is an example, I rode the same distance, at about the same pace on the same course with similar weather two weeks apart. One I wore an HRM and the other I did not. Look the calorie burn differences. That's crazy.

(calorie burn low.JPG)

(calorie burn high.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
calorie burn low.JPG (43KB - 9 downloads)
calorie burn high.JPG (43KB - 19 downloads)
2015-07-16 1:12 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

because its all made up crap......

2015-07-16 1:22 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by 3mar
Originally posted by Lupy Those #'s are probably based off his HR. HIJACK alert :D. How accurate are our watches for calorie burn? When the algorithm reads our HR and other factors is it close?
Been wondering the same thing. I have a pretty low HR and sometimes I think that when my watch uses HR it is underestimating my calorie burn. I just can't see how it is so different. Here is an example, I rode the same distance, at about the same pace on the same course with similar weather two weeks apart. One I wore an HRM and the other I did not. Look the calorie burn differences. That's crazy.

One would have you riding at ~179 watts and the other at ~377 watts.

2015-07-16 1:25 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Lupy Those #'s are probably based off his HR. HIJACK alert :D. How accurate are our watches for calorie burn? When the algorithm reads our HR and other factors is it close?
Been wondering the same thing. I have a pretty low HR and sometimes I think that when my watch uses HR it is underestimating my calorie burn. I just can't see how it is so different. Here is an example, I rode the same distance, at about the same pace on the same course with similar weather two weeks apart. One I wore an HRM and the other I did not. Look the calorie burn differences. That's crazy.

I don't have a power meter (it's on my wish list) so I have no clue which is closer to the truth. I ride in dead flat, smooth pavement with moderate winds and a lot of heat in aero position the whole time. Any ballparks on where that may land?
2015-07-16 1:30 PM

Master
Northern IL

I don't have a power meter (it's on my wish list) so I have no clue which is closer to the truth. I ride in dead flat, smooth pavement with moderate winds and a lot of heat in aero position the whole time. Any ballparks on where that may land?

The former is more realistic. The latter is just over what Lionel Sanders has posted and probably about what Andrew Starykowicz will do in a HIM.

2015-07-16 1:54 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

The former is more realistic. The latter is just over what Lionel Sanders has posted and probably about what Andrew Starykowicz will do in a HIM.

If you avg 20.7 MPH on 377 watts in the Florida Keys, we need to fix your aero position.  

2015-07-16 1:58 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by axteraa

If you avg 20.7 MPH on 377 watts in the Florida Keys, we need to fix your aero position.  

is this not good aero?

(bike parachute.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
bike parachute.JPG (17KB - 14 downloads)
2015-07-16 2:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Powermeter would be your best bet for burned calories.  You seem serious about the sport enough to where you should have one anyway.

2015-07-16 2:03 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

is this not good aero?
FL hill workouts!

2015-07-16 2:08 PM

Master
Northern IL

is this not good aero?

Only if there is a handlebar basket too.

2015-07-16 2:10 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by msteiner

Powermeter would be your best bet for burned calories.  You seem serious about the sport enough to where you should have one anyway.

Any recommendations? Will any powermeter with ANT+ show up on my Garmin 920xt? Or do I need a bike computer as well? It looks like Stages power meters are the easiest on the pocket book. How are those?
2015-07-16 2:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Any recommendations? Will any powermeter with ANT+ show up on my Garmin 920xt? Or do I need a bike computer as well? It looks like Stages power meters are the easiest on the pocket book. How are those?

I use a powertap, which is one of the more reliable ones out there.  The drawback is you're married to one wheel, but I use a wheelcover for time trials and have it built into a 38mm Chinese wheel.

I looked at Stages, and while I think it's ok for a triathlete that focuses on longer intervals, I needed a device that measures my <20s efforts, since that's a pretty important area in road racing.  Multiplying left leg x2 isn't going to get me an accurate number there.

My recommendation would be PT or  a Power2Max if you'd rather have a crank solution.

2015-07-16 2:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas

I use a powertap, which is one of the more reliable ones out there.  The drawback is you're married to one wheel, but I use a wheelcover for time trials and have it built into a 38mm Chinese wheel.

I looked at Stages, and while I think it's ok for a triathlete that focuses on longer intervals, I needed a device that measures my <20s efforts, since that's a pretty important area in road racing.  Multiplying left leg x2 isn't going to get me an accurate number there.

My recommendation would be PT or  a Power2Max if you'd rather have a crank solution.

Thanks. I think I saw an option where stages could be used on both legs, but not sure. How about the garmin pedals? Also, what do you mean by <20 efforts?

Edited by 3mar 2015-07-16 2:23 PM

2015-07-16 2:24 PM

Master
Northern IL

This is an entire topic on itself! But yes, the 920 is a bike computer you wear one your wrist.

2015-07-16 2:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by 3mar  Thanks. I think I saw an option where stages could be used on both legs, but not sure. How about the garmin pedals? Also, what do you mean by <20 efforts?

Sprints mainly or really big surges.  For example I have workouts where I'll do several 15 second all out sprints as my main set, and for those I want an accurate number.  With just multiplying the left leg X2 the margin of error could be all over the place.

2015-07-17 8:36 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

You strike me as the type of person that wouldn't be happy with an estimation of your power (double the left leg) as opposed to an actual measurement of your power.

2015-07-17 7:52 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I just ordered the 4iiii power meter. I haven't gotten an estimate on ship date yet, but for $350 on clevertraining (w/ dc coupon code) it's a steal.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » great workout Rss Feed