General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prospects of becoming a Masters Triathlete approaching 50s and beyond? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-16 3:03 AM

User image

Subject: Prospects of becoming a Masters Triathlete approaching 50s and beyond?

OK so I will just put this out there, because if I start to think how to phrase or explain this question I will get lost
I am 47. I have run 2 marathons, third will be in January.
I have started to bike and swim.
By end of this year I will have done 2 Sprints.
I am transitioning from running to triathlon.

My question is, what are the prospects for Masters in my age group (I suppose we can say 45-50 and then 50 and onwards) to become serious "Professional" athletes and what I mean by that is have enough events to compete in (not just as standard age groupers), receive sponsorship etc? Mind you I don't plan on winning the IM in Kona just compete within my age group, but in a serious manner.

There is a logic and reason behind the question which has significant meaning to me but for now, please, educate me about the Masters scene and options.

Thanks much

2015-07-16 6:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Prospects of becoming a Masters Triathlete approaching 50s and beyond?
- depending on where in the world you are, there are tons of races and the 45-49, 50-54 age groups can be very competitive
- some races have prize money, but it's usually pretty small. I have never seen prize money allocated by AG but rather by overall standings so it becomes really hard for the 50 year old
- sponsorship usually consists of discounts on product. Sometimes you will get free kit or some other perk but I have never heard of anyone receiving cash or bonus in the amateur ranks. Maybe you'll get a $100 gift certificate from your LBS.
-sponsorship opportunities are often based on social media presence and results rather than just results.

You will spend 100x more than you will get back in sponsorships and prize. SOme people see the sponsorship as an acknowledgement of their results, which is fine. But don't expect to live off it.

Amateurs winning Kona don't get much. Pros fight for scraps of sponsorship. Don't expect much as a 50 year old.

Some teams manage to get cool deals because they create visibility as a team. This may be one option to investigate.

Edited by marcag 2015-07-16 6:27 AM
2015-07-16 6:56 AM
in reply to: aribloch

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Prospects of becoming a Masters Triathlete approaching 50s and beyond?

On the USAT website you can look up the race results for the top ranked athletes by age group.  That might help give you some perspective on the task in front of you performance-wise.  I've seen some naturally-talented beginners do well from the start, but most of them have had a strong background in another sport. 

What's your athletic background other than the two marathons?

With the exception of a hand-full of the top pros, most folks with "real" jobs make lots more than the average pro triathlete.

Some of the top age group athletes in my area get sponsorship from some of the local running and bike shops, but a lot of it is the form of entry fees, free gear or shop discounts.

Mark

2015-07-16 7:07 AM
in reply to: aribloch

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Hard to answer without knowing your background.
How competitive are you in Marathons? Strong runners can compete well in races.
Are you going to put in the hours required for the swimming and biking?

I would recommend getting some experience in the sport before putting sights on top awards. Big difference in running a marathon after biking for 112 miles compared to just racing a marathon.

As stated, there are some great athletes in the 45-49 and 50-54 age groups. I am 51 and on the podium for majority of my sprint races. I wouldn't be close to the podium in IM events.

Welcome to the sport and keep us posted on your progress.
2015-07-16 10:06 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Assume OP lives in the US.....In Singapore some of the races do have prize money for AG athletes and, compared to US races, it's fairly generous. But the key phrase is, "Don't expect to live off it."! I've won cash prizes up to $300 for races several times, and a few hundred dollars worth of merchandise for many of them. (Currently in 45-49 AG, occasionally make it into the top 3 OA in smaller races.) But it's almost never enough to recoup my expenses of getting to the race, much less training expenses like bike, shoes, etc. Likewise, I do know athletes in 40+ on te SE Asia tri scene and a few in the US who get some degree of sponsorship, particularly if part of a club team, but it's not nearly enough to meet expenses. It's more a matter of, "Use our gels at races and you can have these two big boxes of Hammer gel." or "Would you like to test our new hydration formula and give us your feedback?" At my last race someone just gave me a Polar Heart Rate monitor and watch. I'm not sure if it was for being in the top 6 overall or winning my AG or what. It was just, "Here, would you like a Polar watch?" But you're not going to earn a living off it unless you're a top tier pro. And none of them are in their 50's.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prospects of becoming a Masters Triathlete approaching 50s and beyond? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

When Did You Become a Triathlete? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tri'n
Views: 4560 Posts: 80

2008-07-24 7:15 AM tabbs

Becoming a Triathlete!!!!

Started by iwantotri
Views: 801 Posts: 5

2006-07-12 1:53 AM dredwards

Who became a triathlete this past weekend?

Started by CalgaryRunner
Views: 783 Posts: 6

2006-06-27 8:12 AM Micawber

When do you become a triathlete? Pages: 1 2

Started by snake111
Views: 2203 Posts: 39

2005-09-08 10:20 PM kepola

So when do you become a triathlete?

Started by Leona
Views: 1238 Posts: 22

2004-10-12 10:06 PM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2015
author : CoachCK
comments : 1
It's time to improve upon your weakness in the water and start swimming faster. Instead of ignoring your swim skills (or lack thereof), it’s time to face them head-on.

date : July 2, 2013
author : geofftri
From overweight with heart problems to becoming a triathlete
date : March 17, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 5
Being a pro triathlete is even more boring than you might have thought

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 2, 2010
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 8
The goal of this column is to provide a unique, first-hand account of the long and challenging "process" of trying to make it as a professional triathlete, a process that often remains unseen.

date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.
date : July 8, 2008
author : amyro1234
comments : 0
Ever since I was 11 years old and first heard the word "triathlon" mentioned, I have made it my vow to do one. But what 11 year old does triathlons?”

date : May 7, 2008
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 2
Thousands of spectators lined the shore and bridges overhead. When the announcer said, “Welcome to the best day of your life,” the possibility was still there for all of us.