General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can't Get To Sleep Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-16 9:32 AM

, Kansas
Subject: Can't Get To Sleep
I could really use some suggestions/guidance for an issue I am having right now. For a lot of different reasons I am only able to do my swim training in the evenings between 9-10 PM. The facility where I swim has dedicated lap swimming times in the early morning, afternoon, and then from 9-10 at night. With the exception of Sunday the only time I can swim right now (and for the next 30-60 days) is the 9 PM slot. I don’t mind swimming then because I am usually alone. The problem I am having is when I swim this late at night I cannot go to sleep when I get home. Does anyone else have this problem, if so how do you get to sleep when working out this late in the evening?

Sleepless in Kansas

2015-07-16 9:51 AM
in reply to: KSTri-newbie

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Can't Get To Sleep
Not with swimming (for me it actually serves to prevent insomnia and is more effective than anything else) but I've had that problem with late runs and trainer workouts in the past. The only thing that seems to help is getting a really good cooldown after the more intense part of the workout. Also make sure you have hydrated and fueled properly after the workout, so you're not waking up because you're hungry or thirsty. Basically, I think the problem's happened because you've revved up your body's metabolism and your mental state of arousal at an hour when they should be winding down.
2015-07-16 10:08 AM

User image

I'm a night owl at the pool.  Usually swim around the same time as you.  I've found over the years that for me it's just a matter of going to bed right away.  When I get home if I get into a project or catch up on a TV show then I can easily be up until midnight if I'm not careful.  Experience may play a roll in it.  I've been swimming for a long time so while I feel pretty refreshed and awake after a workout I can usually settle down quickly.  From what I've read on here in the past your experience isn't an isolated one.  Does your pool have a whirlpool you can sit in when you're done?  The pool I use is on the cool side.  Cold enough that if I'm tired when I jump in I am instantly wide awake.  Sitting in the whirlpool after a workout helps me. 

2015-07-17 12:29 PM

User image

DC
HOT chamomile tea (hot to warm your brain) w/out sugar. Helps me. OK, I'm lying, I have my evening drink (s) & then chamomile tea... no sugar.
2015-07-17 3:00 PM
in reply to: 0

It is very highly recommended that you do NOT do any form of strenous excercise before bedtime. Ideally you sould finish excercising more than two hours before bed but at the minimum, two. Excercising muscles produces Lactate or Lactic Acid to reengergize muscles. This same lactic acid is contributing to your inability to fall asleep. By excercising, you just gave your body a boost of energy when you wanted it the least... right before trying to fall asleep!
An equal or greater componant to that is the fact that excercise is vrey stimulating mentally. Even a mondane run puts your mind in "stay sharp" mode. It is nearly impossible for your brain to try and be alert and try to relax at the same time. Even if your body gets extremely tired from the late excercise, your mind didn't.
Excercise increases adrenalin. Adrenalin can cause anxiety. Even if not significant, anxiety can still keep you from falling asleep. Tired and sleepy are two very different things. Simply put... you are winding up when you should be winding down!!
Find a way to change your workout schedule. This one doesn't sound like it's working for you. Poor sleep or inefficient sleep causes a looooong list of health problems but for an endurance athlete, it's horrible.

As for remedies... do NOT drink alcohol to fall asleep and for God's sake, don't take narcotic sleep aids. Alcohol induces sleep but actually works to wake you up a short time later. Try melatonin first. It works great for about 60% of those who take it. The other 40% it doesn't seem to work much. Melatonin is a natural substance so if your melatonin levels are not low, adding some will not help you sleep. Try over the counter sleep meds too. There are a lot of different brands but really only two or three different active ingredients. They are non-habit forming (physically), the Ambien-like sleep aids?? Dependance is built rather quickly for some. It's a temporary medicine but much like Vicoden, once the body is dependent on it, you will have withdrawals when stopping. In the case of sleep meds, those withdrawals will feel just like insomnia.

For validation of my opinion... While I am a brand new Triathlete, I've worked in sleep medicine and sleep research at one of the nation's leading university medical centers for over 10 years!

Edited by Somnospeed 2015-07-17 3:11 PM
2015-07-17 3:49 PM
in reply to: Somnospeed

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I use melatonin when I'm having trouble sleeping. I leave a bottle of it on my night stand and if I can't fall asleep I will take one. It is usually the last thing I remember before my alarm goes off in the morning.

2015-07-17 5:32 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Make sure you get some good nutrition when you get done with your swim - including carbs!

I use Natural Calm (magnesium) with calcium religiously every night. I have restless legs and sometimes have a hard time shutting everything down at night, but this has helped a tremendous amount. Magnesium is a smooth muscle relaxer and can help when having a hard time falling asleep.
2015-07-17 7:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Just make sure you are not in a situation where you are going to be drug-tested at work or for an event if you hit the chamomile tea. It can cause you to test false positive for pot. (Don't ask how I know this!) Hot almond milk might be safer.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-07-17 7:09 PM
2015-07-17 9:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Take shower to feel comfortable. No TV or caffeine when you get home. Relax with a book for 10 - 15 minutes.

Make your bedroom as dark as possible.

Once you lay down. Use a 1, 2 count on your breathing. Breath in (1)...Breath out (2)...breath in (1)...repeat until you fall asleep. The counting clears your mind of outside thoughts that don't allow you to relax.
2015-07-20 11:38 AM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Expert
Montana
I use lavender oil. Got mine from DoTerra, but you can find other brands, maybe at a health food store. You don't have to have an diffuser, just rub a few drops on your wrist pulse points and your temples.

My first use went like this: "Ew, this stuff smells strong, there is no way I'm going to fall asleep with this stuff on my......zzzzzzzz."

HTH
2015-07-20 7:43 PM
in reply to: Shoeless

Sarasota, Florida
Similar problem. I avoid snacking after my workout and use chamomile tea and 4-7-8 breathing.

2015-07-21 8:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
What time do you need to get up in the morning? What time have you finally been falling asleep?

I know that sometimes schedules are screwy and you have to make do with what's available. I played tennis in college and we often were assigned the "late" slot for practice, and there wasn't a whole lot we could do about it. At my first job, doing the grunt work, I often worked late and closed down the gym afterward (I guess it's better than closing down the bar, haha) -- but you do what you have to do.

I'm going to +1 the ideas to sit in a hot whirlpool for a few minutes or at least take a hot shower. Also, make a post-swim/pre-bed routine and stick to it. Have a sleep-inducing snack (cheese and crackers), drink some hot sleepytime tea, read for 20 minutes, and turn out the light. DO NOT turn on the computer or play on your phone for too long. Before too long your body will recognize that shower time + tea time + reading = bed time.

If that doesn't work, try training even harder so you're exhausted and just fall asleep! Kidding...
2015-07-21 6:10 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

I don't want to contradict anyone's advice, so I will just that I, myself, would avoid the hot shower and definitely avoid the hot tub before bed.
To explain...
Stage N1 sleep is the first stage of sleep you enter upon sleep onset. Stage one sleep typically lasts a short time. Probably an average of 1 to 3 minutes, depending how tired or sleepy you are. So after that short time you go into stage N2 sleep. As an adult under 65 you will spend the greatest majority of your sleep time in stage N2. Shortly after you enter N2 your body temperature starts to drop. This is why your room feels so much colder in the middle of the night when the room temp reads the same. Overheating your body just before bed inhibits your body temperature from dropping and that can delay sleep onset and cause fragmented sleep. Your body temperature only drops about 2 degrees to maintain good sleep so heating your body up by 1 degree before bed can make a big difference. There's a reason 73 degrees during the day doesn't bother you a bit but 73 degrees at midnight when you're trying to sleep is very uncomfortable.

If it were me... I would consider a warm shower but I would not take a hot shower and would really avoid the hot tub. Unless you do this a considerable amount of time before bed, which does not sound like an option for you. If you must take a hot shower, finish it by turning the water temp down considerably before you get out. I know this goes against common the common belief that relaxing in a hot tub before bed can only be a good thing but it's just a fact that when your body temp goes up or stays up at night, as opposed to down, you just simply don't sleep as well. Take the shower, hop in the hot tub, just don't have them set on hot!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can't Get To Sleep Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Can't sleep after evening run

Started by 97biggz
Views: 1322 Posts: 4

2013-03-19 6:09 PM miamiamy

GAAAAAHHH, can't sleep

Started by JBrashear
Views: 1089 Posts: 10

2006-08-27 8:17 PM KathyG

Can't sleep?

Started by southernaquagoddess
Views: 649 Posts: 10

2005-07-19 1:47 PM nbo10

Raced, now I can't sleep

Started by vicvroom
Views: 524 Posts: 2

2005-03-13 10:53 AM slow&steady

I can't sleep tonight, I'm surfing the bike sites

Started by marmadaddy
Views: 524 Posts: 5

2004-11-06 12:31 PM marmadaddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 8, 2015
author : jbaha14
comments : 0
Can you remove 'Can't' from your vocabulary? Learn how to remove obstacles to clear your way to your goals.

date : November 10, 2014
author : AMSSM
A concussion is a complicated injury. Recovery can be several days to weeks. There are several things that you can do to minimize future or repeated risks of a concussion.
date : April 27, 2012
author : myred86
comments : 4
So much of what I thought a triathlon simply wasn't correct. How an okay Masters swimmer makes it through his first triathlon - slowly!

date : November 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Sleep is one of your answers to keep the doctor away. But how much is enough sleep? We'll discuss the benefits of getting a proper amount of sleep and the risks of not getting enough.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I went to the pool the other day and realized I can't float at all. It makes it really hard to swim properly. I get no propulsion from my kick. Any suggestions?
date : April 2, 2006
author : Ontherun
Triathlon is more than just three sports. For most of us it includes the real world of work, family and a host of other obligations. Only one problem: when and how much sleep should we get?

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.