General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainerroad- Aero Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-17 10:33 AM

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: Trainerroad- Aero
Need advice from you trainerroad users. Been using trainerroad for about 4 months. I've done 2 FTP tests along the way and both times I switched in and out of aero just to try to get the best result I could. Obviously had I just stuck to aero my FTP would be lower. Now when I do my hard workouts I'm lucky just to make it through the intervals, so I spend majority of the hard intervals in upright position. My question is, am I wasting my time killing myself in these workouts if I'm not getting much aero time in, since the majority of my races are spent in aero position? Should i start over with a new FTP test and do everything in aero knowing this will decrease my power numbers? Or should I just keep doing what I'm doing? How do you approach your trainerroad workouts? FYI, I do 99.5% of my biking on trainer using trainerroad.

2015-07-17 12:16 PM
in reply to: mchadcota2

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Trainerroad- Aero

Ride your bike. Just make sure to get in some hard workouts in aero before the race to help be used to it.

Some people don't have much of any difference between them and do well with everything in aero. My performance has flattened out every time I try to do all aero all the time.

2015-07-17 1:09 PM

User image

I do all my FTP tests in aero. I don't care if the number could be a little higher in another positions. I'm riding aero at the triathlon's, so I want to practice aero on the trainer.
2015-07-17 1:35 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I mostly sit up during recovery and stay in aero position for +95% of the time during tests and intervals.  I find if I sit up during hard intervals my power drops and have to work harder.  Guess that comes from riding nothing but a TB for the past 10 years.  During hard intervals I actually shift more forward than during moderate intervals, I do the same thing outside riding hard.

2015-07-17 3:21 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by brigby1

Ride your bike. Just make sure to get in some hard workouts in aero before the race to help be used to it.

Some people don't have much of any difference between them and do well with everything in aero. My performance has flattened out every time I try to do all aero all the time.

This.  I never stressed out about riding in aero on the trainer, as it's infinitely easier for me to ride aero outdoors.

2015-07-18 6:45 AM

nashville, Tennessee
Thanks. I guess I will just keep doing what I'm doing and try to mix some aero time in as much as possible. Sometimes I just wonder if I'm working different parts of my legs sitting upright vs aero and so getting stronger in upright position but making no progress in aero.

2015-07-18 2:00 PM

User image

Originally posted by mchadcota2

Thanks. I guess I will just keep doing what I'm doing and try to mix some aero time in as much as possible. Sometimes I just wonder if I'm working different parts of my legs sitting upright vs aero and so getting stronger in upright position but making no progress in aero.

Yes. You can make more power out of aero. My friend told me that if you're going less than 8 mph, then you want to sit up. Can't remember the exact number but basically you lose power for aerodynamics (but end up going faster) and if you're going slow (e.g., up a hill), well you may as well get more power instead. Back on topic: I do both. When doing tris I never stay in aero for more than a few minutes. I always need to sit up for a few quick seconds or lift my butt to prevent saddle sores. Mainly I need to give a back a little break once in a while. I try to stay in aero for my FTP test but I'll sit up every 1-3 minutes when I might be losing power/motivation and need a quick pick me up.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainerroad- Aero Rss Feed