United States
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 41m 39s
Overall Rank = 1/1
Age Group = 40-50
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Had breakfast about an hour before starting - oatmeal and milk with blueberries.
Event warmup:

Zero... Had a gu, put on the goggles and cap, and dove into the water
Swim
  • 48m 10s
  • 2270 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not sure why but I felt really strong on the swim. While I started out to fast (Heidi was taking pics on the dock, I was able to settle into a rhythm. I was able to sight off the shore and the sun and that helped me to keep going straight. I popped by head up ever 25 strokes just to make sure and 9 times out of 10 I was going in the right direction. I continued to feel good, and I pushed the pace. Perhaps my only mistake was standing up too soon. I ended up having to dive back in and swimming a 100 yards more. But I was happy when I got out of the water knowing I had swam well!. Earlier in the week, it took my 59:30 to complete it so I know I gave it my all.
What would you do differently?:

Keep swimming
Transition 1
  • 04m 29s
Comments:

Considering my transition was the back of our Odyssey minivan - it turned into kind of a free for all. I ran from the shore to the car, dried off, and threw on my BDAS shirt, shoes, and packed my pockets. It was great being able to kiss HQ and the kids before heading out.

Practice a bit.
Bike
  • 1h 33m 11s
  • 25.21 miles
  • 16.23 mile/hr
Comments:

I was hoping to average 16 mph but I got off to a slow start out of the swim... Part of the issue was that I was so tired - but the other part was that it took me a while to get set up and get into a rhythm. I was averaging 15.5 and needing to push hard to get my speed up and then I hit the hills. Despite my efforts, it was slow going and I average 7-9 mph up Mike my pulse it 160! However, I was able to push the pace on the downhills but I was still averaging 15 mph by the time I hit Old Alba. I really focused on keeping up my cadence and I averaged around 88-92 most of the way. Luckily - I was really able to make good time and brought my average up to 16.2 by the time I reach T2 (the mini van).

Lose some weigh... the hills killed me. If I can average 16 miles per hour even with going so slow on the hills, I should be able to crush the bike if I dropped the weight.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Again - with this being the anti-tri, pulling up to the mini van and not into T2 was a little different. JQ really wanted to help - but I tried to get my jersey off and my Team Christian shirt on... I forgot to fill up my water bottle and had to run back to the car.
Run
  • 1h 13m 44s
  • 6.12 miles
  • 12m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

The run got off to a funny start. I had brought too many power bars so I wanted to throw the extra bar into the car. When the car pulled up, I thought I heard JQ say throw it here, so I did. And it hit him right in the eye. Not good. Once I had blinded my son, the run got off to a fast start. I was averaging 11 minute miles by running for 4 minutes and walking for 1. With 3 miles to go, I downed half a warm coke because I was getting pretty tired. It was so hot and I had been really pushing the pace. Luckily we got some rain that felt great. The rain felt great but my pace dropped to 13 minutes per mile as I headed up the mile long hill. But I'd exceeded my goal on the swim and bike and I was determined to make it happen on the run. So, I took mini walks instead of walking for the entire minute. It helped that all the kids were waiting for me at the mail box. JQ ran with me down the path and I was able to push the pace the last 1/ 2 mile to 10 minutes .

Again - lose the weight.
Post race
Warm down:

Icy Cold Beer

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being fat - But I was stoked because I went faster in this race than I had all summer.

Last updated: 2015-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:10 | 2270 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 1/1
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: Dock to County Park
Start type: Dive Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:33:11 | 25.21 miles | 16.23 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Out of the park, right on West Otsego Lake Drive, right on Old 27, right on Macelona Rd. right on Hayes Tower right on Old Alba Left on West Otsego Lake Dr. Right on Old 27
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:13:44 | 06.12 miles | 12m 03s  min/mile
Course: Down Old 27 Right on Macelona Right on WOLD Right onto the path
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-07-18 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Otsego Olympic
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Otsego Olympic Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Victorian Chamionships, Olympic tri

Started by La Rakusillian
Views: 1513 Posts: 19

2005-01-28 10:27 PM Kestrel

Mountainview Olympic Triathlon

Started by M2Biker
Views: 1165 Posts: 4

2004-12-30 12:16 AM M2Biker

Boilerman Olympic Triathlon

Started by Rio
Views: 1355 Posts: 8

2004-10-01 12:22 AM infosteward

Tugaloo Olympic Distance Triathlon

Started by Motivated
Views: 1901 Posts: 9

2004-11-12 9:03 PM La Rakusillian

MIdeast regional Olympic triathalon

Started by jlusk
Views: 774 Posts: 5

2004-08-30 9:35 AM joeinco
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 13, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
I just did a sprint triathlon and want to sign up for my first olympic in six weeks. Is this enough time to train?

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Swimming for the triathlete.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 3
Program details of the 20 week olympic triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.