Lake Norman YMCA
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 35s
Overall Rank = 97/382
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 7/16
Pre-race routine:

got out of bed at 4:15, drank some water and grabbed a bagel and was out the door. ate a banana on the road and sipped on Powerade. arrived at the race site about 5:40. still parking places available in the YMCA lot, so I snagged one. I was only 100 yards away from the T area! got my packet and set up camp.
Event warmup:

ran maybe a mile of the course. checked out the finish line. took the bike out for about 3 miles up and around Davidson College. 1 GU expresso. then it was time to wait in line for the bathroom...and wait...and wait. got down to the water's edge just in time to get a 2 minute warmup, then my wave was called.
Swim
  • 14m 48s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started on the bouyside/front of the wave. got off to a good start, but it wasn't 200 yards and I started to get tired. maybe because I didn't get a good warmup, I don't know, but I was tired already! I put my head down and struggled on. made it to the turn-a-round and felt much better, but now I was running into the women from the previous wave. It was so hard to see. the water was very dark and we were looking into the sun. I even touched bottom at one point. I decided to walk/dolphin a few times. finally got around the last bouy and headed up the bank up to the T area.
What would you do differently?:

I just need to swim some more distance workouts, especially with an Oly coming up.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

ok here, just have problems with my socks. next year I am doing my sprints without socks AND I am tying up the bike shoes with rubber bands.

go faster!
Bike
  • 50m 22s
  • 17 miles
  • 20.25 mile/hr
Comments:

got a good start through the streets of Davidson passing lots of racers. I took 1 GU vanilla bean and diluted Powerade. about mile 10 here come the speed demons with their whistling rear wheels and their pointed helmets. I saw maybe 4 or 5 of my age group pass me. I began a slight cramp in my right calf around mile 15. mile 16 had a sharp turn onto highway 115 and I couldn't see around this big truck so I went wide on the turn and almost ran smack into a stopped car on the opposite lane. I made my way back on the right side of the road without incident. coming to the end, I got out of my shoes and dismounted before the line and ran right by someone who was dismounting with their shoes on. Dang, that felt good! I ran into the T area and almost lost my bike trying to run fast! LOL!

get stronger so those speedos don't catch me!
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

almost fell I was running so fast. had a little problem with the left shoe, but was very good overall.

toss the socks! go faster!!
Run
  • 24m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

muscles started to cramp as soon as I crossed the timing mat at the top of the hill. It was a struggle. I slowed down at each water stop and spashed water on my head. I was really hot. I thought I could shake it off and begin to pick up the pace after the first mile, but just didn't happen. I did get a short burst of energy at the very end and sprinted to the finish mat. gotta look good for the crowd, right?

oh, maybe run some more and more and more and get stronger and stronger...
Post race
Warm down:

headed directly to the drink supply. they had a plastic pool filled with ice and water bottles. I grabbed a bottle and scooped out some ice, put the ice on my head and guzzled the water. talked to some of my tri club members. John won the overall event. that was great for him. chilled on the park bench for awhile, then packed it up!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

just not enough hard work before the event - i've been slack lately...

Event comments:

I was disappointed at my AG finish. I wanted to go top 5. I will do this again next year. I should do much better on the run now that I know the course.

Last updated: 2006-07-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:48 | 820 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 58/382
Performance: Average
Suit: TYR
Course: rectangle out-and-back
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:50:22 | 17 miles | 20.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/16
Overall: 103/382
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: nice 17 mile course with most of it on country roads.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average