General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice needed for wetsuit upgrade Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-21 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Advice needed for wetsuit upgrade
Hello BTers,

I feel I am ready to upgrade from my Xterra Wetsuit Vortex 4 size S. For the past couple years I've been struggling with OWS segments of racing while in this wetsuit when I start amping up my pace. Each and every time, even during some practice sessions, I feel this uncomfortable pressure in my chest building which leads me to hyperventilate. Many times I've managed it well enough when I lower my stroke rate and effort to aerobic which bugs the hell outta me because I want to improve my swim splits while racing.

My CSS is currently around 1:44-1:45/100 when I swim intervals of 400 - 800 yards at the pool and based on my GarminConnect analysis, my stroke rate is pretty even throughout each interval. I'm breathing hard but able to hold my effort until each interval is done. However, when I race, I swim slower in open water due to breathing problems with the Xterra.

I am 5'6.5" and I weighed 142-144lbs when I started racing in 2011 and now weigh around 148-149. The sizing chart on the Xterra website still recommends I use size S but I think since I have a long torso and a bit more weight , I i think I should move up to a size M or consider another brand. Do you guys have any recommendations? My budget range for this upgrade is $200-300.

Thanks!
Roland =^.^=

2015-07-21 3:30 PM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Advice needed for wetsuit upgrade

From the Xterra chart it looks like you're on the borderline between S and M.  If you follow their recommendations and add 2" for a long torso that would put you into a M.

I followed their sizing charts when I bought my suit last fall and it fits me well.  

Mark

2015-07-22 12:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'd talk to Xterra, they are pretty good at letting you know whether you'd best fit in another size, plus, if all else fails you can ship it back and do a free exchange ( you just need to pay to ship it TO them )

I was really unsure of what size I was, being between sizes, but having a wider chest.

They recommended a size and it worked really well.

Even now that I lost a little weight, it's fitting me great, and I have zero regrets.

I got the Vector Pro.
2015-08-20 1:40 PM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Wetsuit upgrade status update.

I bit the bullet and purchased and tried a Maverick Pro fullsuit and boy what a difference it made! I did 3 OWS tests with it the past 3 weekends each with increasing distances (~0.5mi, ~1.25mi, ~2.22mi) and I set PRs for all of those swims.

I did not feel fatigued like I did using the Xterra after 20 minutes or any shoulder restriction and I swam the last 2 test swims at CSS. I also did not feel any chest pressure forcing me to slow down when I amped up my efforts to CSS after warming up. That issue may have been caused by too small a wetsuit though since based on their chart, I was in between a size small and medium. Anyway, I'm super happy with my new wetsuit and I will keep it!

=^.^=
Roland
2015-08-22 5:48 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by kloofyroland

Wetsuit upgrade status update.

I bit the bullet and purchased and tried a Maverick Pro fullsuit and boy what a difference it made! I did 3 OWS tests with it the past 3 weekends each with increasing distances (~0.5mi, ~1.25mi, ~2.22mi) and I set PRs for all of those swims.

I did not feel fatigued like I did using the Xterra after 20 minutes or any shoulder restriction and I swam the last 2 test swims at CSS. I also did not feel any chest pressure forcing me to slow down when I amped up my efforts to CSS after warming up. That issue may have been caused by too small a wetsuit though since based on their chart, I was in between a size small and medium. Anyway, I'm super happy with my new wetsuit and I will keep it!

=^.^=
Roland

Congrats, I sucked it up for a year in Tyr Cat 1 that was too small and restrictive, isn't it down right liberating to get into one that's right for you!?
You feel like you can love to swim again
2015-08-22 10:59 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hmmm...I think I need to get a new suit as well. My TYR Category 1 is starting to self-destruct and it's always felt like I'm swimming in a straitjacket. I've done decent times in it but I detest swimming in it and tend to wear my sleevless shortie one whenever possible. Just haven't bit the bullet as I rarely need the full suit for a race, and definitely not here in SE Asia.

2015-08-23 11:29 AM

User image

I hope your new suit works out well for you...FYI to anyone else interested, Roka has a sale until August 26th for 25% off. Code is summer25. I've been in a Vector Pro and am going to give the Maverick Comp a try for the same reason as the OP
2015-08-23 3:54 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by TJHammer

Congrats, I sucked it up for a year in Tyr Cat 1 that was too small and restrictive, isn't it down right liberating to get into one that's right for you!?
You feel like you can love to swim again

Thanks! I'm starting to love open water swimming again!
2015-08-23 3:56 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by Hot Runner

My TYR Category 1 is starting to self-destruct and it's always felt like I'm swimming in a straitjacket. I've done decent times in it but I detest swimming in it and tend to wear my sleevless shortie one whenever possible.

I think you should order one just to get a feel for it. You have 30 days and will only have to pay shipping to return it if you find it's not for you. You might love it like I do, hehehe.
2015-08-23 3:58 PM
in reply to: Rdracer99

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by Rdracer99

I hope your new suit works out well for you...FYI to anyone else interested, Roka has a sale until August 26th for 25% off. Code is summer25. I've been in a Vector Pro and am going to give the Maverick Comp a try for the same reason as the OP

So far it has been and I'm super impressed with it. You won't be disappointed with the Roka Maverick you're thinking of getting. If you have any questions about the one I have, please don't hesitate to ask.
2015-08-24 7:01 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Clearly this is better done from the US than Vietnam, and probably in the summer when I can try it out in a lake! Will have to wait for next summer. Sizing is always an issue for me as I just don't seem to have the body that they have in mind when designing tri stuff--always between sizes. Kind of medium tall and skinny with fairly long arms and legs for my height. Almost wonder if a small men's wetsuit would fit better. Is there anything magic about wetsuit gender that's not occurring to me, or is it kind of like bikes.....use what fits?

2015-08-24 12:48 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, I understand what you're saying. I'd give them a call at least next summer and see what they think will work for you. Haha, a mens suit might feel funny because the shoulders might be too broad but then again, that might be a good thing for shoulder mobility?

It could be a case of "use what fits"? Would you like to try my Xterra Vortex 4 fullsuit size S?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice needed for wetsuit upgrade Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need some wetsuit advice

Started by TriSlate
Views: 1040 Posts: 7

2012-08-22 11:11 PM TriSlate

Need to upgrade your wetsuit.. Xterra deal

Started by Dlaxman31
Views: 1530 Posts: 8

2010-09-16 10:41 AM nhunter344

OW/Wetsuit lessons learned and I need advice!

Started by lifesgreat
Views: 722 Posts: 8

2005-06-26 6:02 PM imnotjoking

Need some advice on wetsuit.

Started by Heavyfist
Views: 835 Posts: 9

2005-02-28 9:13 AM TH3_FRB

Wetsuit Advice needed please!

Started by eboston88
Views: 853 Posts: 5

2004-09-23 11:30 AM Rio
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?