General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Shoe Recommendations Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-25 4:52 PM

Subject: Running Shoe Recommendations
I'm in need of running shoe recommendations. I've always opted for Nike Air Max running shoes because they're so shock absorbent, I can go for a long run and experience virtually no discomfort. Some runners and triathletes are all about minimalist shoes or at least, their top shoe picks are much sleeker than the bulkier Nike Air Max.

I'm 22-years-old and have high arches, mild overpronation, and narrow (A width) feet. I'm worried about messing up my knees, as well as getting the dreaded "runners feet". So many people claim these issues can be greatly reduced with proper footwear, yet I haven't a clue which shoes would be ideal for both speed and comfort? There is so much to pick from and so many different opinions--it's a bit overwhelming.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

2015-07-26 8:25 AM
in reply to: SwimBikeRun136

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Running Shoe Recommendations
Go to a good running store and they can steer in the direction of a good starting point. Finding a shoe that works for you in my experience comes with a lot of trial and error but getting a good starting point sure helps the process along.
2015-09-20 8:25 PM

i try a lot of shoes, and find the Brooks was perfect for me ...
2015-09-20 8:53 PM

User image

Pro

The world is your oyster.  Firstly- if your Air Maxes are working for you, then you may not need to change- but it sounds like you're interested in seeing how some other shoes feel.  My first recommendation - is not to worry about the trick shoes (i.e. anything by Hoka, Altra, Newton, Vibram).  Not that there's anything inherently wrong with them.  They each have a loyal following, and they're all pretty cool in their own right.  But, most people have great luck with the standard running shoe brands- that have been doing this for a lot of years.  ASICS, Brooks, Saucony, NewBalance- ok, and Nike.  

Secondly- each running shoe has certain characteristics.  The most important one is FIT.  After that- the amount of cushion, flexibility, weight, heel to toe drop.  Possibly in that order of importance.

The more running you do- likely, the more different pair of shoes you should have in your rotation.  If you run 3-5mi 3 or 4 times/wk; then 1 pair of Nike Air Max's will probably do it for you. But, if you're upping your game you might want a lighter weight pair for fast days and races.  Then, after you get a taste of those, you'll want something that still has some cushion, but isn't as stiff as those Air Max's.  Frankly- the more people run, often the 'less' shoe they want... to a point.

You are now beginning your lifelong search for the perfect running shoe for you.  It does not exist.  However- enjoy your journey.    We can tell you our impressions on the differences between different shoes... but how they each work for you, only you will be able to decide.  

...and don't get me started on trail shoes- that's a whole other category.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Shoe Recommendations Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Trail Running shoe recommendations

Started by Climbinggonzo
Views: 747 Posts: 4

2013-07-09 10:17 AM RockTractor

Running shoe recommendation ?

Started by tri42
Views: 726 Posts: 3

2009-07-03 8:23 PM tri42

Recommendations for running shoes

Started by Blue Moc
Views: 1251 Posts: 13

2008-01-27 12:53 PM drsalcardiology

Running Shoe Recommendation

Started by JPD1600
Views: 787 Posts: 9

2006-07-25 11:45 PM skunkworxz

Shoe covers for running shoes???

Started by Zilla
Views: 1591 Posts: 5

2006-02-12 6:22 PM vortmax
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Don't power through your off season! Rest and take it easy. Our doctors tell you why rest is important, how long to rest, and what training and exercises you should be doing.

date : December 5, 2013
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.
date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you

date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.
date : November 2, 2011
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : March 9, 2010
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.
date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.

date : April 2, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 2
This article will cover the basics on the nutritional needs of athletes and will include some standard recommendations from neutral bodies.