General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri - I survived..! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-25 9:55 PM

User image

Kings Mountain, North Carolina
Subject: First tri - I survived..!
So first - thank you to all the people in the forums that offered helpful advice and tips - it really helped..!

Today I did my first tri - the sprint at Lake Cammack, the Buckner Mission Man, and what a wonderful event. The whole thing is just so nicely laid out and the volunteers are so nice. It was fantastic. While I didn't feel like I was totally ready for this first tri..I thought I was mostly ready. I still have another 15 pounds to lose (went from 215 to 198 for this one, and hope to get down around 180-185 in the coming months) and I would definitely increase the tempo of my training for my next one.

Anyway - I got up super early this morning at 4AM after staying in a hotel in Burlington. I went to IHOP and had a pancake with bandanas, some bacon, and some coffee. Then headed over to the lake. I was one of the first to arrive (nerves!) and quickly found my rack. I was very conservative and used a very small footprint to setup my stuff, mostly just wanting to stay out of everyone else's way. I would later see that I didn't need to be so stingy..there were people putting beach blankets out (LOL..well, maybe not quite).

http://www.mudspikeftp.com/TRI-01.jpg

I got my chip, and had picked up my numbers the previous day, so I put those on my bike and helmet. I had to go back and forth to my car a couple times because I kept forgetting stuff, but I had tons of time so it was good to work on nervous energy. I was floored by how many people were there and how varied the demographic was. There are people that are super serious and people that are just getting out there and doing it (like me). Everyone seemed to be having a great time though. The morning was cool to warm (perfect temperature actually) and it was just a beautiful day...

http://www.mudspikeftp.com/TRI-02.jpg

I was in the final wave since I was registered in the Novice - Masters (I'm 43) and our group of a couple dozen wobbled our way down into the water. I was really nervous, but once the horn blew I just put my head down and swam. I never stopped swimming, and never had to leave the crawl stroke, but my time (23:09) clearly shows I'm a slow and inefficient swimmer. I didn't get bumped or jostled, and was comfortable (though tired) throughout the swim. My ranking was pretty bad (150 / 162) but I was just happy I didn't drown. My transition was, well, methodical because I didn't want to forget anything and look too stupid. The bike was awesome. I loved the bike. The rolling course around the countryside was beautiful and had just the right amount of fast parts and slow parts. I felt good on the bike and passed a lot of people and felt better about that portion. Ranking on the bike was 112 / 162 men. The run was really nice, but the first couple hundred meters I thought I was in trouble, I think because I didn't stretch while coasting in on the bike (or so I've read). My calves gave the slightest twinge like they were going to cramp, and then a minute later I was fine and managed to run the two loops without stopping. It is a shady course and though there are some roots it isn't bad at all. My run rank wasn't the greatest either at 134 / 162 men. Apparently I should be a biker (lol).

Overall I was 142 out of 164 men (2 DNF) which means I have a lot of work still to do on my fitness, but considering 3 months ago I couldn't swim for 4 minutes, or bike for 5 miles, I'm very happy. I did win third place in my Novice - Masters category..lol..so I got a cool backpack.

http://www.mudspikeftp.com/TRI-03.jpg

http://www.mudspikeftp.com/TRI-04.jpg

http://www.mudspikeftp.com/TRI-05.jpg

I'm definitely hooked, and am already looking out for what I want to do next. Definitely another sprint distance this fall and maybe something more next year. I want to continue to improve, and definitely want to work on both my swimming and running. I'm comfortable doing both, but I'm just not very fast and part of it is because I don't go super hard I think because I'm subconsciously (or consciously) metering myself I think trying to make sure I don't blow myself out. This is the first time I've strung all three things together (I've done lots of pairing, but never all three), so I think I got a better feel for how much I'm capable of (capable of more for sure!) and hope to improve from there.

Overall, the experience was exhilarating. On my second lap of the run I was so excited, I was telling the water volunteers "I'm actually going to do this!"..LOL..it was just the coolest thing to reach a goal after putting in time and money and effort. I couldn't be more impressed with the volunteers for the Front Street United Methodist Church - they really put on a great event.

And thank-you to the more elite athletes and early finishers that had encouraging words even as you guys were finishing and us beginners were just starting the other stuff. Personally, I really appreciated it when I was jelly legged starting the run and someone who had long ago finished was saying some encouraging things and how nice the run course was. And there was another participant standing at the bottom of the final hill shouting out encouragement - thank you!

Anyway - sorry about the long post.

tl:dr - My first tri was awesome!

BeachAV8R

Edited by BeachAV8R 2015-07-25 10:01 PM

2015-07-26 7:59 AM
in reply to: BeachAV8R

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: First tri - I survived..!
Congrats.

Glad it was so enjoyable. Now onto the next one and getting some more races and longer races under the belt.
2015-07-26 8:47 AM
in reply to: qrkid

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Congrats! Makes me want to sign up for my first one again :D. I don't know whats available in your area but swim lessons will be well worth the money spent! I was able to average 1:45/100y before I did lessons, but I was not energy efficient at all. After I did 3 total immersion lessons I was able to do 1:30/100y with less effort than my 1:45's. It was my goal going into the lessons to just become more efficient and if speed came with that even better. When you start getting into the oly swim distances being more efficient will really help you conserve energy for the bike and run.
2015-07-29 12:00 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Congrats! Looks like you had a good approach to the race, and you raced within your limits. Also, big congrats on the hardware! Display it proudly!

Looking forward to seeing how you progress and mature in this awesome sport.
2015-07-31 2:18 PM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Nice! Glad you had fun and, despite your worries early on, you were far from last! :-)
2015-07-31 8:28 PM
in reply to: louiskie

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Hey, that's great, congrats on your first tri! Sounds like you had a great time and put out a great effort. So cool that you got an award for your category!!! Welcome to the addiction, hahahah!

2016-02-23 7:55 AM

, Virginia

I know this is really late but I wanted to say, "Way to go! and Congratulations!"

2016-02-29 12:34 PM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

, North Carolina
Originally posted by Lupy

Congrats! Makes me want to sign up for my first one again :D. I don't know whats available in your area but swim lessons will be well worth the money spent! I was able to average 1:45/100y before I did lessons, but I was not energy efficient at all. After I did 3 total immersion lessons I was able to do 1:30/100y with less effort than my 1:45's. It was my goal going into the lessons to just become more efficient and if speed came with that even better. When you start getting into the oly swim distances being more efficient will really help you conserve energy for the bike and run.

Who did you go to for TI swim lessons? Was it in NC?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri - I survived..! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Doing Raleigh 70.3 for my first tri in 15 years

Started by winegeek819
Views: 1413 Posts: 5

2012-12-10 10:35 AM japarker24

kure beach for first tri

Started by bmelvin
Views: 1315 Posts: 7

2011-02-26 8:45 AM bmelvin

Fayetteville Area Tri-Warriors - New Tri Club!

Started by maria40nc
Views: 5387 Posts: 12

2010-04-28 2:01 PM maria40nc

Latta Plantation Sprint - First Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by gygyhawk
Views: 2914 Posts: 49

2007-03-23 9:22 AM 1 Foot The Other

First Tri Planned for 2006????

Started by jkbostic
Views: 1236 Posts: 11

2006-02-02 9:23 AM NCTriNewbie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.