General Discussion Triathlon Talk » traveling from cooler climate to hot for first HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-29 10:13 AM

Bismarck, ND
Subject: traveling from cooler climate to hot for first HIM
I am considering doing my first HIM in Lake Havasu AZ in November. I was going to do one in August but life got busy. The fall time for me is usually not as busy. Plus, the race in Lake Havasu is actually on my birthday.

Concerns:

I remember how it felt in the spring to train in 40-50 degree weather then in 80. Yuck! The weather in ND varies a lot in October and November but it will be a minimal of 40 degree difference. It could be up to 60-70. I will not be able to go early to let my body adjust. We would fly in late Thursday and the race is Saturday. What is everyones experience with this temp change?

We would fly into Vegas and rent a car. Do people take their bike on plane or ship? I do not have a case for my bike but I might be able to borrow one from some local triathletes.

Anyone else do Lake Havasu? I only found two race reports. Is it worth the travel to do it as my first HIM? I thought it would be cool to do it on my birthday. If I don't do this one then I will have to wait until next year. I completed my first Oly a couple weekends ago. I have some work to do.

Thanks

2015-07-29 10:30 AM
in reply to: brreems

Bismarck, ND
Subject: RE: traveling from cooler climate to hot for first HIM
I just saw the other post regarding traveling with your bike. So, I will have to do more research with that.
2015-07-29 10:49 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

in 2013, I did Miami 70.3 at the end of October coming from a Canadian climate.  The run was.... unpleasant.  However, the temperature that day was warmer than anything typical that I would have had for the entire summer save the odd day here and there.  If you are experiencing temperatures similar to what you will have race day now (and for much of the summer) then it might not be so bad.

2015-07-29 10:58 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

It is a fun idea to do a race on your birthday (I did it this year!

I tend to avoid the fall races mostly because of training. The race itself might be hot but that is really a one day thing that can be managed. For me it's about doing all the training when it's getting cool and dark. And i just don't love my trainer that much! And it's really hard to practice open water. For me it's pretty important leading into a race just do a confidence check. But you could arrive a couple of days early to get settled and get in the water. 

But, that said, if those things don't bother you - and since it would be your first HIM and you'll have the motivation and fear behind you - go for it!

I don't know anything about the HIM in AZ, i believe it's a relatively new race so you may not find a ton of experience with it. 

2015-07-29 11:21 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I am a fan of traveling to nicer places in the winter to race (I live in Minnesota) so often run into this.  You will probably suffer a bit, so I would adjust your expectations accordingly.  For instance, I was perfectly trained (for me) for a half marathon in January in Florida, but the actual race day was warm and humid and the result was one of my slowest half marathon times.  I had fun, though!

I try to do some heat acclimation.  Working out at the hottest part of the day, wearing heavier clothes, etc.  You can sit in the sauna at the gym.    That's about the best you can do.

Also, don't under estimate the need for cooler race gear.  Light and loose clothing, a visor/hat, etc.  You will probably sweat more so do some research on salt supplementation.

Good luck!

2015-07-29 1:15 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

Sarasota, Florida
Practice in pants?
I have no idea for a HIM.

Being a runner I have ran races in different climates and parts of Florida can be a bear when it goes from 75 f 55% rh to 90 f 100% rh.
I hurt and cry like a baby on those days.

When preparing for a race I usually run outside as much as possible and wear pants on the nicer days. For shorter runs I also wear boots but I definitely wouldn't recommend that for distances since it puts more stress on your legs.

2015-07-29 6:22 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
I would slightly overdress for your workouts. Not so much as to get totally overheated, but so you get the sense of being warm and not that comfortable.

I've only known a couple people that have raced in Lake Havasu. They said the courses they did were hilly and it can be very very windy. So prepare for the worst and you will be ready :-)!
2015-07-30 7:36 AM

User image

Elite

I've raced in Lake Havasu before but in March.  Small world--I grew up in Bismarck (live in NV now).  My dad and stepmom leave Bismarck every Nov. 1 and live in Lake Havasu until April!  It's a really cool area--but yes, warm!  As far as acclimating--I"m guessing you'll do some of your runs/bikes indoors with the wonky fall weather in ND--if that's the case, I would 'overdress' as some people already suggested.  I've raced in many hot hot races (St. George HIM in '14 and '15 and most recently Ironman CDA--now in the books as the hottest IM in North America). I trained a lot indoors in my workout room with doors closed and one fan going.  It got HOT in there, but I did it day in and day out.  Also, the week leading up to the race, really dial in your hydration.  I start adding plain Pedialyte to my water a week out from the race and I've never had a problem with dehydration. I'm no expert, but I have raced in really hot and dry temps--these are the things that worked for me!

2015-07-30 6:43 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

Bismarck, ND
The fall training is a potential issue. I do have a bike trainer but that will be very brutal for me if I have to do all my training on that. I HATE working out inside. One of the reasons I work out is to get out of the house. However, it would be easier to get my temperature up. Kim, is the route hilly? Is the scenery nice? Was your race organized?
2015-07-31 8:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

The best piece of advice for doing hot races is to SLOW DOWN.  People make the mistake of going at, near, or even above their usual training paces at races much hotter than they're acclimatized to that their body shuts down.  Slowing down works wonders.

2015-07-31 3:47 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Elite

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

The best piece of advice for doing hot races is to SLOW DOWN.  People make the mistake of going at, near, or even above their usual training paces at races much hotter than they're acclimatized to that their body shuts down.  Slowing down works wonders.

Totally great advice~I kept my heart rate on the bike at Coeur D'Alene under 150 ,even during climbs, over the 112 miles.  That was one of the decisions that saved my day.  

As for the scenery in Lake Havasu, it's very different from ND--it's desert mountains, but beautiful in its own way.  There are some hills--at least for the Oly I did. I'm not sure what the HIM course looks like, but I can't imagine there are too many strenuous climbs.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » traveling from cooler climate to hot for first HIM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Flat & hot or cool & hilly?

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1325 Posts: 9

2013-12-08 1:00 PM pga_mike

Bald Guy Looking to keep head cool on hot days

Started by BuckHamilton
Views: 7299 Posts: 12

2011-06-08 8:02 AM Far Left Texas

How hot is too hot for running? Pages: 1 2

Started by KSH
Views: 1919 Posts: 29