Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Inexpensive Bike Maintenance: SportChek - Conestoga Mall Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-30 7:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Subject: Inexpensive Bike Maintenance: SportChek - Conestoga Mall
Hi all,

Just passing on another less expensive place for basic bike maintenance. I like to get it done before my A race for the season....and after phoning around with prices +$60 bucks everywhere and 1-2 week wait time I found SportChek in Conestoga Mall was pretty amazing.

Sportchek charged $40 bucks for the exact same package as everyone else, and turn around was 2 days. And ya...I asked the guy who runs the bike maint. department if he has every worked with carbon fibre TT bikes...he chuckled and told me what his own bike was worth....needless to say he's been around high end bikes. I even left a couple issues out when I dropped it off (loose aero grip) and they were fixed when I got my bike back....

Point being...I know Sportchek isnt the "exclusive bike shop" in the area....and I'm not knocking the local shops either. Great service..I used to go to Ziggy's and the Ski/Cycle shop regularly...and Brauns before they went up. But....if your looking for quick turn around, a better price point and same quality....I have had success with SportCheck in Conestoga Mall. The guy's name is Lucas who handles the bikes.

2015-08-05 10:54 AM
in reply to: TheCrownsOwn

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Subject: RE: Inexpensive Bike Maintenance: SportChek - Conestoga Mall

These guys are worth considering, if they have a good guy behind the tools. Many MEC branches hire good mechanics.

I understand their business model. They figure on finding ways to get you in the shop. Which they can do with good shop costs for bike work. They hope that eventually you buy at least one item of UA technical gear at full retail and they have won! :-)

I am looking for a new bike shop after a bad local experience. I bought a "Peak Performance Package" before my last race and after it came back many parts were no cleaner than I can get them. Its the kind of bike shop where when I bought my bike I was getting an entry level road bike. I was spending about $1000 with them but also needed a presta converter. Sure enough by bill features $975 for the bike and $00.75 for the converter. You can tell the guys who are in it purely for the money.

2015-08-09 8:50 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: Inexpensive Bike Maintenance: SportChek - Conestoga Mall
I have only one experience with MEC when they repacked a hub on a wheels for me. They were quick and the price was good. I have heard that they really invest in their employees and they are on course learning frequently.

I have been a MEC member for over 20 years and I cant say that I have ever had a bad experience, they certainly seem to go the extra mile if/when things go wrong.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Inexpensive Bike Maintenance: SportChek - Conestoga Mall Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Inexpensive Tri Suits -Saucony Store St. Jacobs, ON

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 1264 Posts: 2

2013-04-30 8:06 AM pilot_e

Some Inexpensive Wet Suits at KW Surplus

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 1765 Posts: 10

2013-05-02 5:01 AM JTOTPC

Bike Maintenance and Repair Course In Cambridge

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 779 Posts: 1

2012-02-07 11:28 AM TheCrownsOwn

Looking for inexpensive training wheel

Started by B12 Bomber
Views: 696 Posts: 1

2011-03-02 2:28 AM B12 Bomber

Looking to buy an inexpensive, small, and entry-level bicycle

Started by Murielle
Views: 1090 Posts: 6

2008-02-24 5:13 PM So Fresh So Clean
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
What are the essential mechanical/maintenance skills that I as someone who rides a bike should learn how to do myself?
date : April 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 2
Have you been doing all of your bike cleaning, maintenance and repairs by leaning it up against something? Try it again with a dedicated bike repair stand.

date : October 23, 2006
author : Team BT
Three new 'focused' swim, bike & run 8-week winter maintenance plans to offer improvement on your limiters. There will be workouts focused on technique and some focused on volume, speed, & strength.
author : mikericci
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their bike. The athlete must be able to bike for at least 1:30 hours and should be able to complete 4-5 weekly bike sessions.

author : mikericci
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their swim. The athlete must be able to swim at least 2,500 yards and at a pace of better than 2:15 per 100.
date : April 3, 2005
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 3
One procedure for changing a tire that you might learn from, but certainly don't want to follow precisely!

date : December 14, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Learn to perform routine maintenance on your bike. Knowing basic maintenance will make you a better rider. You’ll also come to recognize the complexity and beauty of this machine.