General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Please Critique my Swim (freestyle) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-30 9:30 AM

User image

Subject: Please Critique my Swim (freestyle)
I came to triathlons from running and cycling, with almost no swim experience. I watched all the videos on youtube that I could and immediately hired a coach. I'm finally to a point of feeling efficient, I still don't have a ton of endurance but I've learned ways to correct my form when it starts to fall apart. Hiring a coach was probably the best thing I could have done because it was nice to have someone specifically look at me and say "no don't do that", "you're overrotating" etc.

Please watch the video and give me any feedback, good or bad. I know, I know, you're going to ask why I did an open turn..... my flip turns are mediocre so my coach pushes me to do open turns so I'm not distracted and don't have an excuse to stop. (I've stopped a couple of time because of missing my last breath at the T)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_gJvRFcgw0

sorry for the quality..... it looks good on my computer and got a little worse when uploading to youtube.

Edited by amalgamate 2015-07-30 9:31 AM

2015-07-30 9:51 AM
in reply to: amalgamate

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Please Critique my Swim (freestyle)

your recovery is led with your hands, not your elbows. relax your arms during the recovery phase.

2015-07-30 10:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by dmiller5

your recovery is led with your hands, not your elbows. relax your arms during the recovery phase.

Hey thanks! that's a huge help and something that my coach hadn't pointed out. This will definitely be my focus for the next few swims.

Edited by amalgamate 2015-07-30 10:31 AM
2015-07-30 12:57 PM

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
I saw the same thing. If your elbows are straight and you lead with your hands, you have two options (neither of which are good): you either swing your arms out wide or you windmill with your hands coming way out of the water.
Try the "fingertip drag" drill to get a feel of what you should be doing during your recovery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XITzpum5lxA

Another thing I noticed (and it's really only because what what I'm focusing on at the moment) is that your kick seems pretty wide. Try to imagine yourself in a tube only slightly bigger than your body. Then kick as if you don't want to bang your feet on the edge of that tube. The pace of your kick will increase but the distance won't. This will also improve your roll because you won't be able to do that larger kick to rotate to your other side. So your rotation will stem from your hips rather than your kick (as it should).

Other than those two points, I thought it looked good. Hard to tell what you are doing under water. You might see if you can get your hands on a GOPRO and do the same thing with that.

Nice work!
2015-07-30 1:30 PM
in reply to: pwoolson

Master
, California

your kick seems pretty wide

This is happening partly because the left hand is crossing over centerline just a tad when it enters the water.  I bet if you swim with your eyes shut, you'll be veering to the right.  The bi-lateral breathing is helping even you out but also the kick, I think, is correcting you back on line slightly.

Don't make a HUGE correction on this -- you're really close.  But try to keep that hand entry straight ahead.

2015-07-30 1:57 PM

User image

This is really good feedback everyone! I have a gopro type of camera (basically an offbrand) so I might try to get some underwater footage.

2015-07-30 2:20 PM

User image

Originally posted by spudone

your kick seems pretty wide

This is happening partly because the left hand is crossing over centerline just a tad when it enters the water.  I bet if you swim with your eyes shut, you'll be veering to the right.  The bi-lateral breathing is helping even you out but also the kick, I think, is correcting you back on line slightly.

Don't make a HUGE correction on this -- you're really close.  But try to keep that hand entry straight ahead.

Funny you say this...... my last tri was open water and my sighting was not as great as it should have been...... constantly going right and having to work my way back. also.....there's a lane at my gym that doesn't have the line and whenever I get stuck with that lane I always hit the right divider. So this is great feedback.

Edited by amalgamate 2015-07-30 2:26 PM
2015-07-30 3:08 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I'd like to see you get to more of a high elbow catch & pull.   Right now you're keeping a straight arm and leading with your elbow during the pull.  Your right arm gets way wide at times too.

For the catch, one of the things that helped me was to visualize that you're draping your arm over the hood of a Volkswagen Beetle. The outside of your elbow should rotate up which will naturally put your hand and forearm in a better position for the catch.

Thinking about brushing your thumb against your thigh is a good way to help you finish your pull.  

Glad you're working with a coach.  Nothing better than immediate feedback when you';re working to improve.

Keep up the good work!

Mark

2015-07-30 3:47 PM

I seems like you've got zero glide going on there. . .but that may be a function of speed. Seems like a lot of kicking to help keep your back side up but again, that may be the function of speed and lack of glide. But all in all, it's decent. Time to work on speed.
2015-07-30 9:11 PM

- You’re flexing your knee too much during the kick, kick from the hip, point the toes

- Stroke rate is too low – 60/min, try getting a wetronome and playing around with stroke rate

- Body position is poor, legs are dragging there are about 3 or 4 things that can fix this. Don’t hold your breath, head down, lengthen your body, point your toes, kick from your hip etc etc

- It looks like you’re holding your breath and not breathing out underwater

- could do with a little more reach, not too much though

- possibly slight cross-over?

- Your head is coming too far out the water when you breathe. One goggle should remain in the water. If you rotate your body sufficiently, you should find that you only have to turn your head very slightly to breathe.

- I can’t quite see, but when your arms are underwater it looks like you kind of have a high elbow which is good, but looks like your catch and pull is poor. Your arms look as though they are slipping through the water, rather than catching the water. You should be using those large lat and back muscles. Rotate correctly and catch and pull correctly, you'll instantly feel it in these muscles.If you don't, you're probably not doing it right! Try doing the long dog and skulling drills to address this problem

Most of the important stuff happens underwater, get some underwater footage. Your main problems are body position and ineffective catch and pull. Work on those.

Edited by zedzded 2015-07-30 9:14 PM
2015-07-30 9:15 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

Originally posted by ziggie204

I seems like you've got zero glide going on there. . .but that may be a function of speed. Seems like a lot of kicking to help keep your back side up but again, that may be the function of speed and lack of glide. But all in all, it's decent. Time to work on speed.

You don't want any glide!

2015-07-31 8:24 AM

User image

Thanks again everyone, this feedback has been good.
2015-07-31 8:48 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I'm not so much of a swimmer, so take that under consideration. Here's what jumps out at me:

* Right roll looks decent, though the head is high.

* Left roll needs help. Your arm entry starts with the shoulder and then the rest falls in like a tree.

* Hard to see what's going on with the right arm under water, but it looks like the left is dropping the elbow on the pull.

* Both arms... It looks like you're afraid to break the water surface. There's a hesitation with hand entry, like you're trying to be gentle on the water. Get the hands in there and reach!

* Kicking way too vigorously. Loads of wasted energy there.

2015-08-01 11:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
1. Dropped elbows. Actually your entire arm collapses under the water robbing you of power.

2. Wide kick is caused by your left arm crossing midline.

3. Kick with a smaller knee bend, your kick is better than most here.

4. Overrotation when breathing on both side. Are you swimming or bird watching?

Lane 5:
1500m just under 17.20..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uY1ruzHtsZM

• .. fly

• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mdlUP4e4V_c

2015-08-03 4:03 PM

User image

Tyler,

You're turning your head to much to breathe and cross the mid line and looks like a lack of hip and shoulder rotation.   You are also kicking too much from the knee.   You're arm recovery is decent and show signs of great potential.   

Edited by triritter 2015-08-03 4:05 PM
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Please Critique my Swim (freestyle) Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

swim video..critique please

Started by mtnbkr
    Views: 1036 Posts: 8

2011-04-26 8:27 PM mtnbkr

yet another swim critique please

Started by bgeyeguy
    Views: 1398 Posts: 9

2011-04-01 7:24 AM bgeyeguy

Swim video - please critique my stroke

Started by GoFaster
    Views: 2428 Posts: 24

2010-12-06 9:52 AM spudone

**VIDEO**Please critique my swim

Started by Tri-Fire
    Views: 2709 Posts: 19

2010-10-18 2:02 PM JorgeM

My swim video - please critique Pages: 1 2

Started by wfricks
    Views: 2135 Posts: 26

2009-05-13 7:23 AM wfricks
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : September 11, 2009
    author : Total Immersion
    comments : 1
    In this third part, Terry Laughlin discusses how to achieve an optimal freestyle stroke and what drills go into developing a good stroke.

date : May 6, 2009
    author : Total Immersion
    comments : 0
    Work less to swim better. Part one of this video series covers the philosophy of Total Immersion swimming and looks at some common freestyle swimming misconceptions.
    date : August 5, 2008
    author : EnduRight
    Do you do that same freestyle stroke over and over? Why triathletes can benefit from swimming other strokes besides freestyle.

date : May 20, 2008
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?
    date : May 19, 2008
    author : EnduRight
    comments : 1
    Next time you reach for your pull buoy, think again. By creating dependency on a buoy, the athlete never learns how to correctly create a more efficient freestyle stroke through better body position.

date : September 2, 2004
    author : Ron
    Have no endurance? Try this routine for your first few months.
    date : August 31, 2004
    Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.

date : August 31, 2004
    Most of us in the triathlon world are concerned with more than just fat burning. There are certain situations when it’s appropriate to use fins during a workout.