General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chinese Carbon Wheels - thoughts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-07-31 5:17 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Chinese Carbon Wheels - thoughts?

I haven't seen specifics on the Chinese wheels but there was a thread on ST about the Chinese knock off frames that was pretty bad.  Enough to give me pause about buying something like that.

2015-07-31 7:34 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Durham, North Carolina

(e31.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
e31.jpg (35KB - 16 downloads)
2015-08-01 5:36 AM
in reply to: 0

I bought some 88mm clinchers from Light Bicycle and I was pretty happy with the quality of the wheels, light and quick. Light Bicycle were very good with customer service and very available. I used the wheels for about a year racing 4 70.3s and 1 IM plus a load of sprints with no issues. However I recently buckled the rim on the front wheel hitting some metal object in the road. I didn't expect the rim to buckle, but no idea if the same thing would have happened with a Zipp for example. The wheel isn't repairable. And as for the reluctance towards buying products from China because of quality issue... how many of you are driving American built cars?? Would I buy from China again, possibly. But returning faulty/damaged products is a PITA and I found there to be decent 2nd hand wheels in Australia at the same price as what you would pay new in China.

Edited by zedzded 2015-08-01 5:43 AM
2015-08-01 6:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by 3mar
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by 3mar Why *MUST* they have done something? In my opinion it's because there *MUST* be a reason you spent $3,000 on your wheels.

Imagine how cheap a wheel you could make if you didn't have to pay for R&D, wind tunnel testing, or stress testing?  Imagine the cost savings in production and how cheap you could offer these wheels to customers now that there is less cost to pass down?

Or pay for booths at ever trade show. A booth at every triathlon. Advertisements in all the magazines. sponsorships of professionals. etc, etc, etc. Branding costs money too. The point is this; you have hearsay and speculation, nothing more. With the quality, the technology, the process, anything. And every time you are asked for a specific example you just default to it *MUST*.There is a reason a pair of Gucci sunglasses cost 10x the exact same pair (probably made in the same location) that you can buy at a gas station. Branding costs money, lots and lots of money. Is that why the wheels are cheaper? I don't know, that's speculation, you know, like every anti-Chinese carbon wheel argument in this thread.
Look up a company called Luxoatta if you want to annoyed about Gucci vs gas station sun glasses. To echo someone's earlier point. I was in China back in the early 90's. To say they were open about stealing tech is almost an understatement. When the question was raised on several occasions it was never denied. The reasoning and they had no problem saying it was, we can't afford to R & D so we just take what we need from the west. For those of you with Chinese wheel sets, ever get any grief from your LBS when you needed them serviced?

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2015-08-01 6:33 AM
2015-08-01 7:05 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

For those of you with Chinese wheel sets, ever get any grief from your LBS when you needed them serviced?

Nah, but then you probably can't tell mine are Chinese knock offs. They don't look cheap.
2015-08-02 12:02 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761

Originally posted by 3mar

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by mike761 There are 2 ways the Chinese generally make a product; they duplicate the way a product looks which means you have no idea how it will perform, or they steal the entire manufacturing process from a company that spent R&D money designing and figuring out a product. The Chinese companies and government actually brag about stealing technogy(patents) from the western world.  

Yeah...you're either buying a product that may have zero reliability, or a product that was essentially stolen by a company who operates in a country that doesn't care.

If you want to take a chance on the former, or support the latter, that is up to you.  I won't.

Can you point to an actual example of either of those? If so, I would absolutely agree, but I doubt it.

You would not doubt it if you took a trip to China. They are very good at stealing technology, and their government supports it(it is not a secret)

If the wheels you have are high quality wheels they are probably being made on the same production line as a name brand wheel with the tooling for the name brand wheel. However since they Chinese company did not pay for the tooling, pay for the design work, pay for the testing, pay for the manufacturing start up they are able to sell the wheel for a lot less.

I'm going to disagree here. I travel to China 2-3 times per year. 2-3 weeks per trip for work. So I spend quite a bit of time over there. 10 years ago I would have agreed with you. But the Chinese government is really stating to crack down on counterfeit operations. I've seen markets shut down and poeople arrested. In multiple regions and cities the past couple of years. It's to the point where I won't buy bike components in China. I just deal with factories that I know and have been in over email and pay the shipping.

2015-08-03 3:27 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Tyler,

I have a chinese full suspension mtb 29er frame from Carbonal.com and it's great.  No regrets. 

2015-08-03 8:55 PM
in reply to: amalgamate

User image

over a barrier
I raced 2 seasons on a set of Chinese Wheels in cyclocross. About 15-20 races per season + weekly practices. They didn't explode and kill me. Too many crashes to count, one had have a Cat 3 field ride over them & me. Still have them in my quiver of glued up tubulars w/ Griffos so I don't use them much any more.
2016-08-05 7:08 AM
in reply to: #5132285

I'm assuming the article talked about above was the one in bicycling magazine last year or so? If not, everyone interested in this thread should read it.

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/components/catch-counterfeiter-...

In the end, people can do what they please, but I for one will never risk my health or life to save a few hundred bucks on a these chinese knock off wheelsets or handlebar or frameset.
2016-08-05 7:47 AM
in reply to: amalgamate

User image

Connecticut
Wheels I don't have much input on, but I've ridden a Chinese carbon frame for 6 years and it's been nothing but amazing. The rest of the mechanics of the bike are another thing, but the frame has been nothing but solid.
2016-08-05 12:05 PM
in reply to: kmonie360

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I wouldnt trust Chinese wheels or frames but I guess its to each his own. If you are happy with a product of dubious quality and it hasnt failed then all must be peachy.

Velonews did a fairly thorough overview of carbon frames including cutting them apart and doing stress testing. While they obviously didnt sample EVERY carbon frame available I think the warning signs are clear.

http://velonews.competitor.com/not-all-frames-are-created-equal-a-l...

2016-08-05 6:46 PM
in reply to: 3mar

Master
, California

Originally posted by 3mar I have yet to find a single first hand horror story from Chinese wheels.

Can't post a bad review when you're dead

2016-08-05 6:47 PM
in reply to: spudone

Master
, California

As a side note, *if* I was going to buy knockoff race wheels (I'm not), then I would probably go with something that has a fairing over a spoked wheel.  Much easier to make that safe for the rider.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chinese Carbon Wheels - thoughts? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Wheels: Full carbon vs carbon/aluminum

Started by Porfirio
Views: 3048 Posts: 22

2014-09-17 11:53 AM Donto

Chinese wheels - light-bicycle

Started by zedzded
Views: 1869 Posts: 6

2014-05-08 11:52 AM Swimaway

Chinese Carbon Pages: 1 2

Started by mdiet22
Views: 6434 Posts: 47

2012-11-12 2:36 PM Dan-L

Can I use continental glue( not the carbon one) on carbon wheels

Started by Rover24
Views: 944 Posts: 2

2012-02-24 8:28 AM tech_geezer

Cheap carbon wheels with carbon spokes!

Started by funkyd04
Views: 3185 Posts: 22

2016-08-31 4:36 AM icarbonwheels
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2012
author : KarbonSpeed
comments : 2
"These wheels are really fast and we can prove it with our tests from the A2 Wind Tunnel. We developed an ultra-fast modified V-Notch rim shape which keeps drag to an minimum."

date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job
date : November 23, 2010
author : marmadaddy
comments : 1
Should you make the switch from your current aluminum framed bike to a carbon bike frame?

date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.
date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.