Harrisburg City Island, Pennsylvania
United States
Tricat Sports
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 93/171
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

This is an early race, and thank heavens for that because the day was going to top out near 100 degrees with high humidity! DH was doing his 2nd Du today, so we both got up early and were out of the house by 5:15. We got to the race site around 6 and saw my buddy LT pulling in the parking lot 2 cars ahead of us!

Very low-key, small race, so we got our gear, did packet pick-up, set up in transition and I went around chatting to my various friends who were racing. That is part of the fun of doing local races! I also got to meet my coach in person for the first time ever.
Event warmup:

Walking to the other end of City Island to start the swim with my hockey buddies. Gave LT a good luck hug, chatted with another girl from the tri club for a little before they gave the countdown for the women's wave.
Swim
  • 14m 4s
  • 1408 yards
  • 01m / 100 yards
Comments:

The RD sent out an email earlier in the week giving all sorts of water flow data, warning racers the water in the river was higher than usual and flowing much faster than usual. He even went so far as to recommend inexperienced or less-than-confident swimmers switch to the du. Usually the river is low enough that if one sticks near the shore they are able to walk, but he said not to count on that because of the increased height but also the speed of the river may not allow it.

I wasn't too worried about it, I'd done this race other years when the river was kicking along quickly, although when I saw them bringing in numerous water rescue boats (official ones) I had just a moment of 'what if'. I quickly shook the feeling and was happy to see they had so much help available if need be, and hopefully need wouldn't be.

There were 3 waves for the race, and I was in the third with mostly women and relay folks. We stood in about waist-deep water waiting for the shout to begin. Because the current was so strong, we didn't need to go to the right of the first buoy. The RD gave a few other tips to stay on course, then we were off!

The water was cooler and higher than other years, and I only touched the bottom once with my hand, but when I did it startled me because the water was very murky and I didn't see I was that shallow. At first I wasn't sure what I hit, but quickly realized it was the slimy rocks of the bottom. I tried to get myself to deeper water ASAP and didn't linger in the shallows.

There are a few bridges we swim under, and I made sure to keep sighting as not to swim into/get swept into the abutments. Before long I saw the candy corn looking final buoy and adjusted my course to be sure I hit the ramp and didn't get swept past. No problems! Up the boat ramp and out toward transition.

What would you do differently?:

Maybe swim a little faster, quicker arm turnover. I don't think my brain was quite in sprint mode. I had recently done a 5K swim event and I think my body/brain were still in a more endurance state of mind, although I did pick up the speed later when I realized I was pacing too slow.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Goggles and pink (ugh) cap off as I ran toward my spot. Saw DH's bike was gone, good. Gave my feet a quick wipe with my little towel to remove gravel/dirt, then put my bike (tri) shoes on sockless. Race number on, sunglasses on, helmet on. Grabbed Rico and away we clomped. Did OK running with the bike and with bike but my mount wasn't the smoothest. I couldn't get my foot in the pedal as quickly as I would've liked. Although it felt slow, it was in the ballpark of previous years' T1. It may have been a few seconds slower than usual.

Not fumbled around with the pedal.
Bike
  • 42m 55s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 20.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Finally got into my pedals, headed up the ramp to Market St. and got up to speed. Made the turn onto Front St. and got into a good groove. Passed a few people before needing to take the rerouted portion of the course. It was through here that it was tough to pass as cones were set up close together to mark the lane(s). I was stuck behind a guy who was going close to my same speed but just not quite as fast. I followed him relatively closely but out of the draft zone as we picked our way through the field.

Finally we got through the rerouted section and were back on Front St. where there was more room to pass. Just past the turn to be on Front St. I passed him and just kept pedaling, feeling good. Maybe too good, I'd later reflect. It's tricky to find the line between just fast enough and going too hard and blowing up.

A mile or so later, I approached an intersection with a stoplight and a cop. I was going full speed. I watched the light turn green for the 3 cars that were waiting. "No, no, no, don't let them go", I thought. The cop waved the first one on. Then the second one. I'm now very close to the intersection, watching all cars and the cop intently. The cop motions for the third car to stop and wait. It doesn't. It pulls forward into the intersection, directly in my path. I hit the brakes hard, skidded, slid, fishtailed and prayed I'd stay upright and also get stopped in time. The driver must've seen that I was about to hit him and he gunned it to finish going through the intersection. Out of both frustration, fear and relief I screamed something along the lines of, "What the *bleep* are you doing, holy *bleep*!"

I was still moving forward, albeit much slowly because I had to brake so hard. I started to get myself together and try to get back up to speed when the aforementioned guy made a comment to me about almost getting whacked. We had a short discussion, and he said it's a shame since I (me) was in such a good groove. He joked they should give me 10 seconds back on my time. He then passed me since I was still physically and mentally recovering from the near mishap.

Saw DH on the return, was glad to see he seemed to be racing well.

I decided I would use him (the guy who passed me, not DH) as a carrot. It wasn't until after the turnaround and partway back the return route that I finally caught him and repassed him. I think he was actually glad to see me, and made a comment, "There she is! She's got her grove back!" We wished each other a good race and I passed him.

The next carrot I just couldn't catch. Well, I probably could've but I didn't want to burn all my matches. A female in my AG passed me as I slowed slightly going through a patch of broken glass (I swore I heard my tire leaking air - nope, just paranoia). I kept her in sight but again, didn't want to blow up just to chase her down.

I continued to pass a few folks along the final stretch. As we turned onto Market, then the ramp, no one was near me for which I was happy. I hate getting passed on the ramp. At the bottom of the ramp I started pulling my feet out of my shoes and riding with them on top. I'd been practicing this the past few times out, so it went quite smoothly. LT's dad and friend cheered me on as I went by.

I was 8th fastest female on the bike out of 54, so that made me pretty happy. I still didn't quite hit that magical 20 mph avg I've been hoping for.

Perhaps push a little harder. I still was just shy of my 20 mph avg. goal but oh so close, closer than ever at 19.7. Best bike time yet for this race, although it's not apples to apples because of the detour. I think, according to my Garmin results, that the detour added maybe .10 miles to the route? Not much, at any rate.

Not almost get hit by a car, although that was beyond my control.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Pedaled with feet on top of shoes around transition to the dismount line. Ran barefoot to my spot. Helmet off, shoes on, grabbed hat and put it on as I was running out.

Had just a little trouble getting into my running shoes as smoothly as I would've liked. The right one was a bit bunched up. Maybe slap a little Body Glide on the heels?

Move a little faster. I had a slower T2 than the past 2 years by a little bit, probably because of my shoe.
Run
  • 30m 45s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

First mile was pretty good. I saw LT somewhere in the stretch of miles 1 and 2, gunning for the win. Second mile I think I dogged it too much, ditto with the third. I should've pushed a bit harder, and maybe I shouldn't have stopped to drink my water at the turnaround but I was hot and needed to get my breathing under control.

Saw DH just before I went up the ramp to the park/turnaround, I was glad to see he seemed to be doing OK. Saw my hockey teammate and cheered her as we passed. I rarely, and I mean, RARELY ever get side stitches or cramps while running but today I had both toward the end of the 2nd mile and throughout the third. Weird, and not easy to keep up pace!

It was so great to be cheered on by LT's dad and a few other friends who were there watching.

I didn't get passed in droves like in some races, but that may be because it is a smaller field. Most of the passing of me happened after the turnaround, further proof that maybe I should've been running harder, perhaps. Or proof I was getting hot, IDK.

Stay ahead of the pink leopard-printed, bikini wearing racer! ;) I kid, I kid....sort of... ;) Run faster is the real answer! She passed me right at the end, despite LT yelling at me to not let her pass me. I had nothing extra to kick with.

Not have side stitches/cramps, although I'm not sure why I had them or how to prevent them.

But mostly, I think (again) that my brain wasn't quite in sprint mode.

I'm just not a fast runner. :(
Post race
Warm down:

Saw DH at the finish line. He gave me a water and also poured some water on me to help me cool down which felt wonderful. He was happy with his finish time for the du.

Talked for just a short while with another tri club member. Walked up to see LT and friends, then waited to cheer on my hockey teammate who was doing the race as a relay with another teammate and another non-hockey player.

I had a bike PR and a course PR, but the swim makes such a difference every year because every year the mighty Susquehanna flows faster or slower, deeper or shallower than other years. There is so many variables that make the swim a total wild card.

I missed seeing the awards ceremony because in the past, they've always held a kids' race which meant they didn't do awards until after it was over. This year there was no kids' race, so we went back to the car to change, then headed back to watch the awards. As we were walking back, we saw people leaving with medals on. Dang, we missed it! LT was first woman, natch, and our coach was first male. Actually she missed it, too, because they held the awards so quickly but she was still able to get her medal. So cool for them both to win!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My brain wasn't 100% in sprint mode. The past few events I've done were longer/slower and I don't think I spent enough time in the days leading up to the race thinking about the race and visualizing.

Event comments:

It's a nice little local race, fun for both newbies and experienced triathletes.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:04 | 1408 yards | 01m / 100yards
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 98/171
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Point to point with the current from one end of City Island to the other
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:42:55 | 14.5 miles | 20.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 60/171
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Take Market Street bridge to get to Front St. This year there was a detour because of construction and we went over to 2nd Street for a few miles, then back out to Front. Turnaround and Fort Hunter and follow Front St. back to Market Street to get back to City Island.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:45 | 03.1 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/7
Overall: 137/171
Performance: Average
Course: Run across Walnut St. bridge to the riverfront path, turnaround in a little park then return the same way we went out.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-07-31 4:35 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Catfish Sprint Triathlon

2015-08-03 2:28 PM
in reply to: #5132378

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Catfish Sprint Triathlon

Looking Good!!!!

Congrats on a great bike, in spite of almost being hit

Congrats on the PR. I'd love to do a river swim. Maybe I'd just float and let the current do the work

Another great race for MEL!!!!!!

2015-08-03 2:38 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Great race, Melanie.  Glad you were able to avoid the car.,  Yikes!!!

2015-08-05 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Great job! How scary it must have been with the car nearly ending your day early?!? Congrats on what ending up being a speedy bike and an overall great race!

2015-08-05 1:28 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
You had an awesome race and were really fast on the bike! Congrats!
2015-08-06 10:58 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Orlando

Wow, that was one scary almost bike crash!  Good job keeping the rubber side down!  And, you managed a couple of PRs!!  Congratualtions!!

2015-08-06 12:11 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
WHAT THE BLEEP>>!!! I would have been so knocked off my game coming that close to getting hit!

Congrats on not letting it keep you down and that's a DAMN fast ride time!!

Great job!
2015-08-06 12:54 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Seattle

Damn a bike and a course PR! Even after the little car vs bike snafu. That is excellent.

Also, I will file away "Stay ahead of the pink leopard-printed, bikini wearing racer!" away in my life advice quotes along with "There's always money in the banana stand" 

2015-08-06 1:19 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

PR, with a great swim and bike split and a respectable run~Nicely done!

Not getting creamed by the car--cop NEVER should have let the other cars go.....Good work staying upright!  I would have been so shaken up !!

Stay in front of pink leopard skin bikini wearer.....QOTD.

2015-08-06 1:22 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pennsylvania

Thanks, everybody!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Catfish Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Catfish Sprint Triathlon

Started by rscheung
Views: 1261 Posts: 1

2012-07-09 2:16 PM rscheung

Catfish Sprint Triathlon

Started by cm121886
Views: 1112 Posts: 1

2011-07-23 1:47 PM cm121886

Catfish Sprint Triathlon

Started by melbo55
Views: 1472 Posts: 3

2011-07-13 2:37 PM nhermes

Catfish Sprint Triathlon

Started by ericyoutz
Views: 1294 Posts: 1

2011-07-11 1:45 PM ericyoutz

Catfish Sprint Triathlon

Started by rscheung
Views: 1550 Posts: 4

2011-07-11 3:42 PM stilgarnaib
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.