General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blew off training plan for my first HM. Race is 2 weeks away. What now? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-08-03 12:03 PM
in reply to: Gatornate

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Blew off training plan for my first HM. Race is 2 weeks away. What now?

Originally posted by Gatornate In fairness to the OP, she never asked the forum whether or not she should participate. She asked "what now", and solicited ideas for how to handle the next two weeks of running. It seems she already had her mind made up to enter the race but wanted ideas for how to approach the race.

There are people recommending not to race who do know their stuff. Many people come on here having not thought through the whole situation. They may be rushed, pressured, or just don't know how to yet. That is where these other posts are attempting to help out. Taking a step back and looking at the situation. What is so important about this particular race that it's still worth doing? Why can't the OP bag this race and pick something farther down the line that they will be able to train adequately for? The OP can choose to answer that or not, but should know she is likely to continue seeing a number of posts recommending to not do the race as that is the best answer those people see from the information given even though it's not what she wants.

2015-08-03 12:05 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Blew off training plan for my first HM. Race is 2 weeks away. What now?

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by marysia83 As for running and walking - it does not always "screw up" you pace. All my races last year I did with running for 10 or 15 minutes and then 1 minute walk and I had better times than running only. I know every body is different, but for me that minute of recovery time gave a lot of energy and speed.

I didn't say it screws up your pace.  I said it was a valid strategy if you screw up your pacing early in the race, and blow up.  It's a way to salvage what's left of your race.

And, it's not faster than a steady run pace if you're adequately conditioned and uninjured.  It's a strategy that has it's place, but I've seen too many people stick to it when it's not the best tool for the job.  Sure, you can drive screws with a hammer, but a screwdriver works better.

If you wait to employ a run/walk strategy until you have to, then it's too late, you've dug your hole.  If you're going to do it, then you're better off making it the basis for your overall pacing strategy from the start of the race.

That being said, doing a run/walk strategy is not a way to get around putting in the requisite  mileage in training.   Even walkers need to train for the distance.    

Mark

2015-08-03 12:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

If you must run, I was also going to suggest the walk/run intervals.  Stay ahead of the problem and finish possibly with some gas left.  

That said, here's my advice.  Not as a coach, but as a person who runs about the same pace as you with the same training lately, and who could very well be one of your friends:

You said you wanted to do the race because your friend was coming and there'd be a group.  If you were my friend, in this situation, I would rather you didn't run.  Instead, go to the race and support your friends from the sidelines.  If you're that under trained, then they are going to be stuck waiting for you. You may also be in very bad shape after wards, not able to have fun, or maybe even walk back to the car.     If I tried a half on that amount of running, it would amount to a very disappointing frustrating morning.   To what end?

I would also really hate to see you injure yourself for this.  Don't have any plans for the next 6 months? 

Honestly, I think this ship has sailed. You made a mistake, which you admit, and it's time to be sensible.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2015-08-03 12:06 PM
2015-08-03 12:14 PM

User image

You can kiss your 2 hour goal goodbye, but I think there's a fair chance you can finish the event, and with your pride intact. Since there's little you can do at this point to improve your conditioning, you need to adjust your pace to match your current level of conditioning. I would spend the next two weeks grooving an 11:30/mile pace into your central nervous system. Every run that pace and no faster; no matter how short the run, or how good you feel.
2015-08-03 12:35 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by GatornateIn fairness to the OP, she never asked the forum whether or not she should participate. She asked "what now", and solicited ideas for how to handle the next two weeks of running. It seems she already had her mind made up to enter the race but wanted ideas for how to approach the race.
And, I answered "what now" in the first reply, including both what she should do, in my opinion, plus how to approach it if she insists on proceeding. Then, Shane (a highly knowledgeable and respected coach) agreed with that assessment. As far as endurance sports are concerned, this is a simple situation, and yet the internet being the internet you see some of the subsequent posts with some questionable advice.
2015-08-03 12:38 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Gatornate In fairness to the OP, she never asked the forum whether or not she should participate. She asked "what now", and solicited ideas for how to handle the next two weeks of running. It seems she already had her mind made up to enter the race but wanted ideas for how to approach the race.

There are people recommending not to race who do know their stuff. Many people come on here having not thought through the whole situation. They may be rushed, pressured, or just don't know how to yet. That is where these other posts are attempting to help out. Taking a step back and looking at the situation. What is so important about this particular race that it's still worth doing? Why can't the OP bag this race and pick something farther down the line that they will be able to train adequately for? The OP can choose to answer that or not, but should know she is likely to continue seeing a number of posts recommending to not do the race as that is the best answer those people see from the information given even though it's not what she wants.

I agree with everything you are saying. I was speaking to the notion that she had her mind made up and was just looking for a poster to validate her opinion. I don't think that was completely true. Yes her mind was made up to participate (rightly or wrongly) but I think there was a genuine appeal to the masses for suggestions on how to proceed given the assumption she would participate (even if participation isn't the best idea). Notice though I use the word participate and not race.

2015-08-03 1:38 PM

User image

Regular
Oregon
I thank everyone for their replies and I don't want to come of as ungrateful or closed minded. I realize that people recommending that I DNS just have my best interests and health in mind. So I thank you for your honest assessment.

I guess I'm just not thinking of it as a" race" anymore. I'm thinking of it as a planned outing with friends. It is a scenic locale with breathtaking panoramic views. If I was going to do a training run as part of a HM training plan on that particular Sunday it would most likely be a 6-7 mile training run at an 11:15-11:40 pace. So that is what I will basically shoot for, just treat it like a training run. Then I will walk. If I'm feeling great I might jog/walk the last half.

There is a group of 4 ladies doing this, and we never planned to keep the same pace as eachother, so I'm not worried about slowing anyone down.

I honestly did not think this thread would become so heated and controversial but I understand that what I'm suggesting is ill-advised and people just have their hearts in the right place.
2015-08-03 1:58 PM
in reply to: themissj1981

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by themissj1981 I thank everyone for their replies and I don't want to come of as ungrateful or closed minded. I realize that people recommending that I DNS just have my best interests and health in mind. So I thank you for your honest assessment. I guess I'm just not thinking of it as a" race" anymore. I'm thinking of it as a planned outing with friends. It is a scenic locale with breathtaking panoramic views. If I was going to do a training run as part of a HM training plan on that particular Sunday it would most likely be a 6-7 mile training run at an 11:15-11:40 pace. So that is what I will basically shoot for, just treat it like a training run. Then I will walk. If I'm feeling great I might jog/walk the last half. There is a group of 4 ladies doing this, and we never planned to keep the same pace as eachother, so I'm not worried about slowing anyone down. I honestly did not think this thread would become so heated and controversial but I understand that what I'm suggesting is ill-advised and people just have their hearts in the right place.

Oh, this is nothing!  Wait until there's a good flip turn thread!  lol!

I wish you well.

2015-08-03 3:23 PM

User image

Pro

Have a nice easy jog/walk... and lots of walking.  Enjoy your day with friends.  

it may get 'uncomfortable'- but walking 13 miles .... with aid stations every 2 miles... isn't really that hard.

2015-08-03 3:25 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
you have a good attitude about it.

sometimes you get more than you bargain for in these posts LOL ;-)

2015-08-17 9:57 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Regular
Oregon
Here is the promised update.

I participated in the race with a plan of taking it easy and running the first 7-8 miles then re-evaluting.

First 8 miles went fine, easy pace and each split was between 10:18 and 11:48. Around mile 8 my hips started hurting. I checked in with my one friend who was keeping pace with me and her hips were feeling the same, so we agreed to adopt an even easier pace and we both agreed to stop and walk if either of us felt the need to walk. We were able to keep the easier pace until mile 10, when she needed a bathroom break. There was a line so we stopped for 4.5 minutes for the port-a-potty break.

After the break, I couldn't run. I wasn't tired, it was just as though my muscles and joints had frozen. So we walked and I was really stiff....like rigor mortis was setting in! So we just chatted and walked pretty slow. after about 1.2 miles I realized I wasn't stiff anymore and didn't have any pain...so I experimented with a slow jog and it felt totally fine. So we jogged the final 1.9 miles at about an 11:00 pace and finished in 2:34:24 for a final pace of 11:47 min/mile.

we came in 76th and 77th in our age group out of 137 women finishers (I'm not counting the DNFs) and we were exactly halfway in the field of total women finishers at 225 and 226th out of 450 women finishers.

I'm glad I participated, and while it was not easy, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

2015-08-17 10:54 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Congratulations!  Sounds like you did a good job of managing your race.

Mark

2015-08-17 11:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I'm not worried you'll try to hit your targeted time. I'm worried you' would havehurt yourself.

I've only done one stand alone road race.......the HM. I was running 40mi./wk when I did it, and felt like that was just "adequate".

I hope you don't have any lasting pain from your race.

Edited by nc452010 2015-08-17 11:48 AM
2015-08-17 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Pretty good! Glad you didn't kill yourself.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blew off training plan for my first HM. Race is 2 weeks away. What now? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

12 week HM training plan

Started by Oysterboy
Views: 783 Posts: 2

2013-12-03 12:07 PM mcmanusclan5

Completed first HM this am!!

Started by mrfarrar
Views: 1034 Posts: 17

2011-10-31 7:34 AM mrfarrar

1st HM, 8 weeks, 2nd HM - training question

Started by GLC1968
Views: 862 Posts: 3

2011-10-17 11:41 AM GLC1968

first post, first race ever HM

Started by firebrick
Views: 575 Posts: 3

2011-10-17 10:01 AM tuwood

Help! Post-Tendonitis 5 Week HM Training Plan

Started by SoccerGK
Views: 958 Posts: 4

2011-03-26 5:53 PM tkos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.