2015-08-04 6:02 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Swimming goals?
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Ridgelake

I agree with LB here.  Get help on identifying form issues and then work on them.  Setting time goals right now doesn't make sense.  Set technique goals.

Can you give an example of what a technique goal would be ?

The other poster got it right.  When people learn to swim properly they don't swim for time.  If she is swimming a 2:47 100 then there are huge issues to fix before worrying about time.  Time will drop when the form issues are cleaned up some.  Body position, catch, pull, breathing, kick, streamline, etc.  These are all parts of a swim that the OP doesn't do well at all.  Yu can't be a swimmer and hope to drop any meaningful time without learning those components.

that's all wonderful and I agree in theory.

But the pragmatic in me says a goal needs to be SMART

Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Results focused
Time Bound

"I want a better body position" is hard to "measure".
But whatever, not a big deal.

2015-08-04 6:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Oregon
I agree that speed is much less important than form. so that is why 3 of my (proposed) 6 goals are not based on time/pace/speed.

The problem is, it is very difficult for me to articulate a form flaw into a "goal" at this time. I would be very receptive to any help with wording a goal like that. While I understand that my pull probably needs a lot of work (for example) I don't think a goal of "improve pull" is going to be very motivating...and my coach will probably roll his eyes if I submit something like that.

And for the record I still AM working on my form with the eyes of my coach(es) and they correct me as needed. I get probably 3-4 form "reminders" per 90 min workout from the coaches (which is down considerably from the beginning when I was doing almost nothing right. I would get like 15 tips and reminders per hour in the beginning)...so I know there are endless opportunities to improve my form. I guess what I mean is my form is not neglected. it needs a lot of improvement but it is not neglected.

Would it be more useful to use a different metric than time, but something that is still measurable like strokes per length or SWOLF?

Edited by themissj1981 2015-08-04 6:54 PM
2015-08-04 7:08 PM

User image

Pro

I agree with LB here.  Get help on identifying form issues and then work on them.  Setting time goals right now doesn't make sense.  Set technique goals.

The other poster got it right.  When people learn to swim properly they don't swim for time.  If she is swimming a 2:47 100 then there are huge issues to fix before worrying about time.  Time will drop when the form issues are cleaned up some.  Body position, catch, pull, breathing, kick, streamline, etc.  These are all parts of a swim that the OP doesn't do well at all.  Yu can't be a swimmer and hope to drop any meaningful time without learning those components.

that's all wonderful and I agree in theory. But the pragmatic in me says a goal needs to be SMART Specific Measurable Achievable Results focused Time Bound "I want a better body position" is hard to "measure". But whatever, not a big deal.

I have read enough of your posts to know your pragmatism, and it serves you well with advice on biking and to a degree, running........but I watched a young man learn to swim pretty fast, and he did it by swimming with 8-10 year olds while he was a 6 foot tall 14 year old.  He floated on his back, he floated on his stomach, he floated on his side.  He swam with one arm, no arms, and kicked hundreds of thousands of yards.  He was not allowed to race with his team for an entire year....there was not a single lap that was timed. 

Three years later he swam a 100 in :49.  A 200 in 1:46.  A 200 BUTTERFLY in 2:03.  A 500 in 4:48.  He has a loooong way to go to reach his goals...those are just time posts along a longer path....not that fast in his world.

I have watched countless kids learn to swim fast in the same program. 

Learning to swim faster is a process.  There is no short cutting it and it's not biking or running. Swimming fast is learning to swim.  The "fitness" comes in the learning for beginners. The real trick is to find someone who can teach, and then be patient enough to learn.  Fast swimmers don't really understand the rest of us....it's not because they don't think you know what it takes....it's because they don't know why you aren't willing to do it.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-08-04 7:12 PM
2015-08-06 7:59 AM
in reply to: marcag

Master
Northern IL

that's all wonderful and I agree in theory. But the pragmatic in me says a goal needs to be SMART Specific Measurable Achievable Results focused Time Bound "I want a better body position" is hard to "measure". But whatever, not a big deal.

How would you go about such a thing? Measurement in swimming is mostly from splits. I have no idea how to really measure much of anything to do with technique using some sort of unit, but we all know it has to improve to get better. I don't know if it was intended, but this has a feeling of not paying as much attention to things one can not quantify with measured data.

2015-08-06 8:46 AM
in reply to: themissj1981

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by themissj1981 I agree that speed is much less important than form. so that is why 3 of my (proposed) 6 goals are not based on time/pace/speed. 

Could be misunderstanding this, but speed is a result of form, not a separate category. You swim better and you'll get faster. Attaching specific times to goals, however, can cause the focus to drift some. You want things that help you with the process. Like getting to the pool in #1. That's good. Working towards executing sets like in #2 & 3 work too. Doing stuff that will lead to progress. I don't think the 2:30 is necessary, but rather doing the set with about X amount of rest and figure out the leave time when you do the set. I don't know how to quantify #4 very well either, but you're always doing it. At least always trying to swim well. Can the coaches help to figure sets to execute? Swimming has so much feel and has a lot of art to it, so you want a process that will allow this. Having some longer term time goals to achieve isn't necessarily bad, but I wouldn't put a fixed date on them, even though what you have isn't necessarily aggressive.

2015-08-06 9:53 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
Learn to swim programs have absolutely no problem quantifying improvement from one level to another. It's not rocket science, its just that the process and tediousness of the learning seems to be beneath most big bad triathletes.

2015-08-06 10:21 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Left Brain Learn to swim programs have absolutely no problem quantifying improvement from one level to another. It's not rocket science, its just that the process and tediousness of the learning seems to be beneath most big bad triathletes.

By quantify here I mean give a numerical measurement. A swim coach on deck can look to see some of these things though not really in a numeric form. Or did the kids have something like improved EVF by 5 inches, or reduced amount of leg splay in the kick by 8"? The action to do is in line with what you're saying to do, but adds in a physical measurement that goes too far. That's the art form a skilled eye can see, but we can't really say to improve by a quantifiable amount. These things need to be worked on and are a goal to improve, so is there a way you've seen in quantifying this besides the eye test of the coach? Have they been quantified by swim times? In the context of this thread, how should the OP put such form improvements down as a goal? And with the process goals I brought up before, what can be said along those lines regarding form?

2015-08-06 10:29 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Learn to swim programs have absolutely no problem quantifying improvement from one level to another. It's not rocket science, its just that the process and tediousness of the learning seems to be beneath most big bad triathletes.

^^Absolutely- triathletes keep wanting to build the 10th floor before they build the foundations and first 9 floors. No wonder they keep falling.
2015-08-06 10:45 AM

Master
Northern IL

I'm agreeing with much, so the question might be more clear if I ask what is being looked for in going from the first to the second quote. No problems quantifying improvement, so what are they doing since they're not timing anything? I don't think anything is wrong or contradictory, just highlighting things as my earlier posts may not have been that coherent.

I have read enough of your posts to know your pragmatism, and it serves you well with advice on biking and to a degree, running........but I watched a young man learn to swim pretty fast, and he did it by swimming with 8-10 year olds while he was a 6 foot tall 14 year old.  He floated on his back, he floated on his stomach, he floated on his side.  He swam with one arm, no arms, and kicked hundreds of thousands of yards.  He was not allowed to race with his team for an entire year....there was not a single lap that was timed. 

Originally posted by Left Brain Learn to swim programs have absolutely no problem quantifying improvement from one level to another. It's not rocket science, its just that the process and tediousness of the learning seems to be beneath most big bad triathletes.

Edited by brigby1 2015-08-06 10:46 AM
2015-08-06 12:44 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
Body position is key, and kicking is important as well. Much of the first months my son spent learning to swim was deficated to floating. When he had a teally good handle on that they wirmes on his kick.....his ankles were very inflexible and it was pointed out that there was little point in moving forward until that was cleaned up. Once it was there was months of stroke drills. His coaches refused to move along until each phase was done. This is year 4....he'll likely go :46-:47 for 100...4:35-4:40 for 500. He still drills everyday...still does 5000 yard kick sets.
2015-08-06 2:11 PM

User image

Pro
Sorry for spelling errors...on my phone while my daughters are hunting alligators.....crazy day.

2015-08-06 2:24 PM

Master
Northern IL

Makes it a good answer in more ways than one!

2015-08-06 2:31 PM
in reply to: mike761

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mike761
^^Absolutely- triathletes keep wanting to build the 10th floor before they build the foundations and first 9 floors. No wonder they keep falling.

It's partly that, but also not realizing about building a foundation. A bigger step back in that is looking at how many just keep going from one race build into another. Never looking at the year round training, becoming very focused on the upcoming race. Then only doing things they need for that more immediate race. It can seem fine at first, but it'll catch up down the line. Next season, or another year or two in. Learning the difference between a race build and getting better all around. Though I think this is what the OP is starting to try and understand.

2015-08-07 5:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

It would be cool to hear what the OP finally submitted as objectives.

I started putting together a list of what mine would be and just tossed it and replaced it with "swim with masters team".

Edited by marcag 2015-08-07 5:53 AM
2015-08-07 7:21 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Mine would be "have a clue what I'm doing". Not an adult onset swimmer but my swim is just all over the place. This summer I did two races--in one my swim was right up there with my run as my strongest leg (32 minute HIM split); in the other, it was almost as bad as my bike, which was by far my weakest (29:30 Oly split). Both were wetsuit swims in calm water, and I felt really good on both. Some of my fastest races (and best overall placings) have been when I was sick, felt horrible, and stopped repeatedly to tread water or do breaststroke because I swallowed water in rough surf. My fastest pace swims tend to be the longest ones (HIM and the 1800m swim in international distance). I am slower per 100m at sprints. Huh? In the pool, some days I can swim low 1:40's forever, continuously (under 51 for 3000m straight ). Other days I'm flailing around trying to hit 1:40 for a set of 10 100's on 2 minutes. Some days it takes me 22 strokes to get across a 25m pool and other days 27. No idea why. WTF?

Thinking of offering to pay our HS coach to look at my swim and just give me 2-3 concrete things I can work on over the off-season. I think some of my inconsistency, at least in training, is due to fatigue from bike/run and hurried workouts (since it takes me a long time to warm up), and I could clean up my stroke better when not fatigued from doing higher volume training.
2015-08-07 2:26 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Regular
Oregon
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I think some of my inconsistency, at least in training, is due to fatigue from bike/run and hurried workouts (since it takes me a long time to warm up), and I could clean up my stroke better when not fatigued from doing higher volume training.

I definitely get this. Sometimes my coach has a very aggressive swim workout planned for me....but it just so happens to be the morning after I did a really tough, hilly afternoon ride. and my legs are toast. I'm just impressed with myself for even getting up at 5:00 am and showing up for practice....and yet he is disappointed in me.

It can be tough balancing it all. But it's too much to ask the coach to work around the rest of my schedule because the team has 15-16 people on it, we all have jobs, kids, vacations, other sports etc. and the coach volunteers his time (he is not paid). So there is no way I'm going to burden him with my particular schedule complexities. so I just do my best to make it all work.

That said, joining the master's swim team is still one of the best adult decisions I've made. Not just for swimming, but for the entire sport of triathlon and just even for my health and mental sanity. The accountability alone is worth it.

2015-08-07 2:34 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Regular
Oregon
Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by themissj1981 timed myself last night. fastest I could do 100 freestyle was 2:41 and that was with considerable effort. What I noticed was that for the first 50 everything is fine and I feel like I'm keeping a decent pace, and typically breathe every 3-4 strokes. the next 25 start to get really tough and I can feel myself slowing down, and I start bilateral breathing every 3rd stroke. the final 25 I feel like I'm barely gonna make it. I switch to breathing every 2 strokes and I can tell that I slow WAAAAAY down on the final 25 (probably from so much breathing?....and just exhaustion). my 25 sprints were still coming in around 28-29 seconds...those don't feel that hard. I mean, I can't figure out how to go any faster but I don't suffer nearly as much as the final 25 in a 100.

Hmm, I'm wondering if you are not breathing enough early and getting into debt that compounds in the latter lengths.  Breathing every four strokes at this stage of the game seems pretty aggressive to me.  Even every three strokes may be a bit much until aerobic capacity increases and comfort with greater continuous distances.  Just for kicks why don't you try a 100 breathing every other stroke and see if you are as gassed at the end.

so, thanks for your suggestion. I tried breathing more frequently in the beginning. the first 25 I breathed every 3rd stroke, then the remaining 75 I breathed every 2 strokes, alternating which side I breathed after each flip turn. By making this one single change my time went from 2:41 to 2:35 almost effortlessly...and in general I felt less "exhausted" at the end of the 100.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming goals? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Finally made a swimming goal!!!

Started by GaryRM
Views: 974 Posts: 8

2010-09-29 11:48 PM AdventureBear

Realistic swim goal?

Started by Bioteknik
Views: 554 Posts: 2

2009-11-18 10:57 AM JorgeM

Double Swimming Goal!

Started by DeannaS
Views: 1004 Posts: 13

2006-04-18 2:40 PM marina

A swim goal, observation, and thank you

Started by StartingOld
Views: 1019 Posts: 9

2006-02-23 7:02 PM southernaquagoddess

Swim Goals

Started by teechur
Views: 960 Posts: 8

2004-04-18 1:56 PM teechur
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.

date : April 8, 2010
author : Team BT
Create goals to help you train and lose weight. Our logger will automatically update your goals.
date : March 20, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Making goals achievable is an important part of reaching our end goal. Also, having a bar that is set high is important, so we are always striving for something better.

date : September 3, 2005
author : bflrich
You’re probably not going to get it just right immediately. Like always, just do the best you can and keep on keeping on. Don’t get upset if you don’t hit the target every time.
date : March 21, 2005
author : Ontherun
Until last year an Ironman was just a dream. Now it has become a goal. I needed to start, but where?

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.
date : October 31, 2004
author : tmwelshy
To prevent a mental breakdown before you even get to the starting line, use the winter months to set goals, build your base, vary your workouts, cut back on training and throw in some variety.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them