State Games of America
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 34s
Overall Rank = 88/157
Age Group = Male 35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/18
Pre-race routine:

Drive to race venue (10min from home) while snacking on a banana and 1/2 rice cake. Set up transition, checked in and made sure to finish my bottle of Scratch labs about 20min before start time. Also had two gel's, one 30min before and one 10min before start.
Event warmup:

Swam about 150yds. Practicing sighting and getting comfortable.
Swim
  • 09m 47s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

The first 100yds were good. I was able to draft on someone for a good portion of it. I had someone all over my legs more than once, rhythm. I also zig zagged a little, with the "hot dog" shaped buoy being a bit hard to see. Once I was clear of the swimmer(s) that were hitting my legs, I was able to sight better, and held a steady pace. I swam nearly into the center of the buoy, and had to swim right, and then hard left to get around it. I actually ran into it a bit, not effecting my swim. The second buoy was easier to see, and I had no trouble from there on in.
What would you do differently?:

The only things that were troubling where my thoughts. I hate not being able to see where I am in relation to others. I didn't know I was swimming as well as I was, and felt slow. In the future, I need to just concentrate on what I am doing. Because, I'm actually a pretty darn good swimmer.
Transition 1
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Transition went perfect, until I went to put my feet into my shoes. I left my shoes velcro'd closed! This wasted a good 20sec on the bike. Also forgot to hit my watch until I was fully into my shoes.

Have my shoes open... so dumb.
Bike
  • 43m 37s
  • 20 kms
  • 27.51 km/hr
Comments:

Heart rate was high, and part of this was due to not feeling 100%. A head cold (sinus infection?) had me feeling pretty badly the day before. I am also not well trained for riding hills, as well as being over weight. I went nearly as hard as I could, trying not to overdo it and not be able to run.

The biggest stupid thing that happened was the fault of course workers...or lack of. The first lap, just .25mi out of T1, there were still barricades up blocking traffic, and competitors from the course. Several riders, including myself, turned left as it appeared we were routed that way. NOPE. This easily added 20+ seconds to our time, and was also fairly dangerous. This took us to an unmanned BUSY intersection and traffic light. Luckily, I was there at a green light, and was able to turn right, and get back on course quickly. Totally inexcusable though. I was told that they would adjust the time somehow, but I don't think that happened...as my watch shows 42:28...I hit the lap button after getting into my shoes.

Get more road miles in, vs trainer time.
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

Good T2, with the exception of two things. When coming in fast on the bike, the guy directing athletes to T2 was yelling very loudly. This scared the guy in front of me, that stopped WAY short. I slammed on my brakes, and barely made it around his left. On the way out to the run, I almost ran the wrong way, thinking that there was a separate run exit. Nope. Same place as swim entry. That was just funny.

nada
Run
  • 29m 41s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 56s  min/km
Comments:

First 1/2 mile was tough, but ok. Legs felt heavy, but I was able to keep them turning at a pretty good cadence. I was really hot at about the one mile mark, walked for maybe 10sec, and dumped water on my head at the aid station. I didn't drink at all on the run, and my gut was sloshing pretty badly. I was really feeling the effects of being a little sick, and the hard bike now. I ended up walking another 10sec uphill near the turn around, and then again, in the shade of some trees, with only .25mi to go. After that, I finished strong, and am happy with my run time.

Drink less fluid on the bike. MORE the day before!

Post race
Warm down:

Finish line crossed, and catching my breath, I ate some orange slices and drank a cup of water. Found my wife and sister, and chatted for a few minutes before collecting my stuff from transition.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

First year back, and typical overweight me. I may do this race every year (even with the nasty water), just to gauge my improvement.

Event comments:

The sign in area was very well manned. Rescue crews and police controlling intersections were perfect. There were not many volunteers on other parts of the bike or run course, with a few controlling traffic at neighborhood sections. I feel, even though this is a 5k out and back, there should be two aid stations on the run. Mostly for moral support I guess? I give bad marks for the barricade issue though. That was really bad and totally preventable. They need to have a motorcycle make a lap of the bike course just prior to start, and then leading out the race leader. I may volunteer my services for that purpose next year instead of racing. I really don't know why they have it at this lake? There are better places (Branched Oak Lake) to have it. It's convenient for spectators and competitors, but the lake is nasty and the bike course is less than ideal.

Last updated: 2015-01-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:47 | 500 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 34/157
Performance: Good
Swim time includes 100yd+ run to timing mat at transition area. Time from watch out of the water was 9:06 (1:37/100yds). Perfect and on the fast side for me.
Suit: Two Piece Tri Suit
Course: Triangulated out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:43:37 | 20 kms | 27.51 km/hr
Age Group: 15/18
Overall: 80/157
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Three laps with rolling hills on city streets. Some rough sections.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:41 | 05 kms | 05m 56s  min/km
Age Group: 15/18
Overall: 116/157
Performance: Below average
Ave HR 166, Max HR 180.
Course: Out and back on crushed limestone trail. Not much shade, or breeze.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2%
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-08-03 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Subject: State Games of America Triathlon

2015-08-04 4:05 PM
in reply to: #5132836

User image

DeLand, Florida
Subject: RE: State Games of America Triathlon
Nicely done Kurt!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » State Games of America Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

State Games of America Triathlon

Started by Donskiman
Views: 1126 Posts: 1

2009-09-09 3:22 PM Donskiman

Cornhusker State Games Triathlon

Started by KMac40
Views: 2206 Posts: 7

2006-07-25 10:23 AM mr2tony

Show Me State Games Triathlon

Started by CorkyC
Views: 1108 Posts: 2

2006-07-24 8:50 AM winfromswim

Show Me State Games - Triathlon

Started by CorkyC
Views: 907 Posts: 1

2006-05-31 10:46 AM CorkyC

State Games of America Triathlon

Started by infosteward
Views: 1192 Posts: 6

2005-07-31 9:10 AM aphoric
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
CGI’s headline races are the New Jersey State Triathlon and Black Bear, which is a half-iron and Olympic distance race in the Poconos in early June. We interview the race director, Michelle Redrow.

date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.
date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : March 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
Most triathlons in America are held under USA Triathlon sanctioning. Last year I finally got a national ranking. Here are a few reasons to join.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!