General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-03 9:00 PM

Subject: Tri Bike
Hey guys I just completed my first Tri Sprint last weekend and it was a blast! I finished 14th overall out of like 110. 17th in the swim (breaststroke), 40th in the bike and 4th in the run (6:14m). I rode a hybrid mountain bike with fork suspension and it really hurt my time I think. My question is if I buy a real tri bike how much time can I expect to lose? I finished the 12 mile bike ride in 39:40. I run a lot and do HIIT type weight training but only trained swimming and biking for 3 weeks before this race.
Thanks

2015-08-03 9:18 PM
in reply to: maxamillion125

Sarasota, Florida
Subject: RE: Tri Bike
Good job. I'm curious myself. Right now my 10 mile PR on my mountain bike is 41 minutes so I don't think a bike can save that. I figure I'll keep my mountain bike for tougher conditioning until I have a few races under my belt then hopefully it will feel like I'm riding with a jet engine once I do get one.
2015-08-04 8:37 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

In terms of what is faster, all other things being equal, mountain < hybrid < road < tri.

Mountain bikes have a high rolling resistance due to the bigger tires, ridiculously so if they are knobbies. And lots of wind resistance due to the shape and rider position.

Hybrid bikes have more road specific tires, in general, so less rolling resistance, but still the upright straight-bar riding position.

Road bikes have road tires and road bike body position, thus with reduced wind resistance caused by the rider (which is by far the #1 cause of wind resistance).

Tri bikes have the same road tires, but generally an aerodynamic frame (which matters only a little), and most importantly a frame geometry that allows the rider to ride in "aero position" (out on the aero bars, with bar end shifters) for long periods of time. They also still handle well when in riding in aero.

So that explained, you ask "how much faster" which is always hard to say.  But if you can push a hybrid mountain bike at 18 mph, with the same power output (wattage), riding in aero the whole time, you could likely go 22 mph.

2015-08-04 10:18 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by brucemorgan

In terms of what is faster, all other things being equal, mountain < hybrid < road < tri.

Mountain bikes have a high rolling resistance due to the bigger tires, ridiculously so if they are knobbies. And lots of wind resistance due to the shape and rider position.

Hybrid bikes have more road specific tires, in general, so less rolling resistance, but still the upright straight-bar riding position.

Road bikes have road tires and road bike body position, thus with reduced wind resistance caused by the rider (which is by far the #1 cause of wind resistance).

Tri bikes have the same road tires, but generally an aerodynamic frame (which matters only a little), and most importantly a frame geometry that allows the rider to ride in "aero position" (out on the aero bars, with bar end shifters) for long periods of time. They also still handle well when in riding in aero.

So that explained, you ask "how much faster" which is always hard to say.  But if you can push a hybrid mountain bike at 18 mph, with the same power output (wattage), riding in aero the whole time, you could likely go 22 mph.

Congratulations! Great description above. I also noticed that you had a top 20 finish in the swim and top 5 in the run. Your bike rank was much lower. You could peruse the results of someone with similar swim and run times and see what their bike time was. This won't tell you how "you" would do, but it can give you an indication of what is possible.
2015-08-04 10:25 AM
in reply to: 0

, Idaho
While we can't tell you the exact amount of time you'll loose, there's no doubt you're leaving free speed on the table by riding a mtn bike with fork suspension.

Depending on what your goals are, get a road or tri bike and start riding a lot. You only rode for three weeks prior to the race...if you start riding a lot, you'll notice your times keep dropping.

Well done! Sounds like you did great.

Edited by d.wilk 2015-08-04 10:26 AM
2015-08-04 10:54 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Hi,
congrats on your race!

From a beginner's perspective:
I was riding mountain bike to and from work. Around 7.5-8 miles one way. Obviously, it was not racing speed, because of the street traffic, but it usually took me close to 40 minutes, and my record was 34 minutes - and it was super hard and my legs were screaming.
I bought used road bike and I did the same distance in 31 minutes EASY. As if it was a sunny day. I couldn't believe it was so smooth - like flying!
I did my Sprint race on it and the distance of 10 miles in 35 minutes super easy (I could have gone even faster, but wanted to save legs for running.)

My strategy was (and still is) to not spend too much money until I know for sure I am totally into triathlons. I bought used road bike for a decent price ($200) and it was a great idea, because I know what I like and don't like if I ever want to invest in something new and neat. I am considering adding aero bars for the races ($125).

I just thought I would share a couple of things to keep in mind if you're just starting your adventure
Good luck!
Mary

2015-08-04 11:05 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
I was in a similar situation. I did my first tri on a hybrid but had zero training going in on the bike. I had an average speed of around 16-17 mph. I got hooked on triathlon and bought an aluminum road bike with clip on aero bars. I was able to average around 18-19 mph on training rides going forward from day one, so I'd say about 2 mph. That's a lot, and probably the most you'll see from equipment changes. I've since upgraded to a carbon tri bike, carbon wheels, etc, etc, but never saw an instantaneous increase like that. Training for a year however gave quite a bit more. If you're interested in taking this further, I'd highly recommend buying a road/tri bike. You can get an aluminum road bike for under $1,000, when you get to carbon tri bikes you're looking at starting around $1,500 new.
2015-08-04 11:38 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

Wow thanks for all the feedback guys! Very helpful

My average speed was 18.2mph and I really felt being in that vertical mountain bike position was the biggest factor slowing me down, along with the semi knobby tires and front suspension. The guy who took 1st overall, I beat in the swimming and running but he blew past me in the biking (22.2mph) like I was standing still.

If I can realistically expect to gain 2-4mph getting a beginner-mid level tri bike then I will definitely try to get one.

The other thing I need to work on is swimming. I used the breaststroke which I know is the least efficient and slowest but It's all I've ever used and I didn't want to learn the front crawl (freestyle) 3 weeks before the race.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere and how everyone was so encouraging and nice. I definitely want to keep doing triathlons and work my way up to a half and full iron man in the next year or so.
2015-08-04 11:47 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
You're so inspiring! (I'm the biggest breaststroke fan here )
I wish you all the best with your training!
Mary
2015-08-04 11:48 AM

The bike I'm looking at getting is the Kestrel Talon road bike with Shimano 105 package. Carbon frame, I can put clip on aero bars. I found one used in my area for $700
2015-08-04 12:59 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by maxamillion125

The bike I'm looking at getting is the Kestrel Talon road bike with Shimano 105 package. Carbon frame, I can put clip on aero bars. I found one used in my area for $700

Make sure it fits properly, there is nothing worse than getting an ill fitting bike. It looks like you have good run fitness and a decent start on the bike, if you learn front crawl and work on your swim you could move up pretty markedly. That being said, if this is something you think you could really get into (and it can be seriously addictive) you want to get the right bike up front.

If I could go back in time I would have got a bike fit first thing and went direct to a tri bike. Now, there are a lot of people that prefer road bikes, and it seems to come down to personal preference but also where you will be racing training. If it's flat and straight then in my opinion you're better off with a tri bike. If you live somewhere with lots of winding hills, you may be better off with a road bike. I started with an intro aluminum road bike with clip on aerobars then went to a carbon tri bike and it was night an day. I wish I would have just made the jump right away. Of course, where I train and race is very flat with nothing but bolt straight roads. So I rarely ride the road bike except cruising around with the family.

Get a bike fit at the minimum, and if you're going to invest money, I'd recommend going for a bike that you won't outgrow from the start, I wish I had.

2015-08-04 3:58 PM
in reply to: 3mar

Ok thanks, I'm going to get fitted for a bike tomorrow at my local shop. I'm only 5'5" so probably a 51-53cm?
2015-08-04 4:10 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by maxamillion125

Ok thanks, I'm going to get fitted for a bike tomorrow at my local shop. I'm only 5'5" so probably a 51-53cm?

It changes per bike manufacterer.
2015-08-04 5:35 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by 3mar
Originally posted by maxamillion125 Ok thanks, I'm going to get fitted for a bike tomorrow at my local shop. I'm only 5'5" so probably a 51-53cm?
It changes per bike manufacterer.

Yup, you really can't base it on height (maybe as a starting point).  I'm 6'1" and ride a 54 Cervelo, my wife is 5'11" and rides a 58 Cannondale.  I'm all torso, she's all legs.

2015-08-05 10:28 PM
in reply to: axteraa

I found a 2010 Cannondale Slice 5 105 that has only been rode a couple times its in mint condition, he's asking $800 for it. Would this be a good Tri Bike?
2015-08-06 1:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The slice is good, if it fits

2015-08-06 12:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by dfquigley The slice is good, if it fits

Right.

In my post above where I said my wife rides a size 58 tri bike, it is a Slice.  It fits her well because it doesn't have a lot of reach.  So if you are like her with long legs and short torso, it may fit well.  If you are like me with shorter legs and a long torso, not so good.  I can't ride her bike without my knees slamming into the elbow pads (and I can't reach the pedals - LOL).

Edited by axteraa 2015-08-06 12:08 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Bike vs Road bike/aero bike questions

Started by gzh6464
Views: 9189 Posts: 10

2017-02-03 7:37 PM Jonlmac

Tri bike or not to Tri bike?

Started by zlr101
Views: 1537 Posts: 7

2012-06-22 4:11 PM Tom Demerly.

To tri bike or not to tri bike

Started by Milkquasy
Views: 1149 Posts: 11

2009-07-14 2:15 PM skarl

From Road bike to Tri bike *NEW BIKE*

Started by bradword
Views: 2277 Posts: 19

2007-08-25 10:21 PM tkbslc

to tri bike or to road bike

Started by elvis
Views: 1297 Posts: 4

2004-03-27 9:27 PM umbach
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : February 3, 2009
On my road bike after 45 minutes, I develop pain between my shoulder blades. It still persists unless I am on my tri bike.

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.
date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.

date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.