General Discussion Race Reports! » Semper Tri Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Semper Tri Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Camp Pendleton, California
United States
MCCS, Semper Fit Division
70-1F / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 50m 43s
Overall Rank = 178/481
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 17/33
Pre-race routine:

It was my first tri event so really all I had to prepare was people's entries here. Tried to get everything in the car before going to bed. Was up later than I wanted to because my teenagers were out late. Up at 4:30, tried to drink coffee and bathroom at home. Entering gates of the base at 6:00. Ate some fruit and kid cliff bars with water on the drive. Came alone, family though it all started way too early. Forgot my tire pump at home, nice person let me use his. Had 1 water bottle with electrolyte ready on the bike. Put some sport bean packets in pockets of the cycling jersey I planned to wear. Stressed out trying to find a timing chip band the day before the race but finally found out it's included in your race packet you receive the day of and then you return it at the end of the race.
Event warmup:

Found an out of the way spot in my wave area to set up the bike and stuff. Pretty much cheated off my neighbors and set things up the way they did. Light stretching. Could have swam as warm up but chose not to due to shoulder strain.
Swim
  • 18m 15s
  • 500 yards
  • 03m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

Seemed way longer than 500m. Not confident lifeguards placed the buoys accurately after watching them do it. Oh well, we all swam the same course. Opted against using my borrowed wetsuit. Water was warm. Wore speedo and tri singlet like I've practiced at home. Started in last men's wave. Ladies waves start after last men's wave. There was a current making you drift a little to the north, but plenty of lifeguards out in the water helped direct people so they didn't miss the first buoy on the way out. Couldn't catch any waves in to help.
What would you do differently?:

The ocean waves weren't big so not hard getting out. Tried to focus on form as best I could. Ran into a few slower swimmers. Forgot to sight often enough at one point and got a little off course. Lifeguard on a board helped steer me right. Going around the buoys was no big deal.
Transition 1
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

Slow transition compared to others, 29/33. Took extra time to get sand off feet and put on socks. Slid bike shorts up over speedo. Put cycling jersey on. Drank a bunch of plain water from an extra bottle I had with my stuff. put on helmet and put my cycling shoes with Look cleats on at my spot then jogged gingerly to the mounting area. Clipped in fine. Long gradual uphill from transition. Great tip I got off here, put your sunglasses onto your bike and put them on your face once riding. Had to wear your bib while on the bike so I had bought a race bib belt and it worked great.

Maybe wear tri shorts, tri suit or wetsuit for next time. Speedo was full of sand from the beach landing and didn't notice until well into the bike ride. Just grinned and bore in till the whole race was over. Maybe rinse before exiting the water or water bottle douche in transition next time. That might get the people downhill from you mad, though. Saw folks with shoes pre clicked into pedals but not sure if I'll ever try that.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 15s
  • 18 miles
  • 17.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Using road bike , no aero bars, standard helmet. No crazy mounting stuff. I don't need to get hurt at this age. Tried to give extra the whole ride knowing short bike route and that I wouldn't need to save very much for the short run. Passed some earlier wave folks. Got passed as well. Tried to keep pace with a youngster on a tri bike but couldn't. Very small hills here and there but mostly flat and straight. 1 aid station at the turn around. Roads were closed which was very nice. Had some sport beans at the 1/3 and at 2/3 of the bike route. Drank half of the electrolyte drink on the road, forgot to finish it off before T2.

I just have some general purpose tires on the bike. Next time, ask the wife for money so I can get some higher performance tires for the race. I think they would've helped me be faster with same effort. I might have drafted a little according to the USAT rules that were in effect but there was no enforcement or anything. Looking at the results and from my memory I don't think any gals passed me on the bike leg. A couple ran by me on the run but I was fairly happy with my bike time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Had to dismount on an incline down. Felt very slippery with shoes on so dismounted, moved to the side and removed shoes, jogged in socks to my spot. Laced up the shoes, kept bike shorts, sandy speedo, cycling shirt and sunglasses on. Thought it felt like a fast-ish transition and that I must be forgetting something. So I stopped, looked and I thought, Nope, had everything. Took my extra plain water bottle from transition with me and drank on the way back up the long incline and ditched it later.

I suppose I could use some of those speed laces but I'm not in it to win it and this sport is costing me enough already. However the race bib belt was worth the $9.95 it cost just so I wouldn't have to try and fumble with safety pins on my clothes.
Run
  • 25m 59s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 12s  min/km
Comments:

I'm not sure how fast I generally run out on the road. I try and train at at least 10 minute miles on the treadmill and I think this came out to 8.25 minute miles. Tried to take this part easier since I've cramped up while training in the past. Ran at comfortable pace. Passed a couple folks, got passed by some. Was trying to enjoy my first experience.

Tried to drink water out of a cup while running but got a bunch up my nose. I'll have to work on that.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the food and fluid station near the finish line but didn't feel it was totally needed. Drank some water and ate 1/2 a banana. Walked around the vendor area but nothing pertained to me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience.
I was trying to be a good sport, to keep my competitive side balanced with respect and encouragement for other entrants. Plenty of folks getting out there and doing it that, like me, will never "podium" so lets keep it positive and try to give it the best we can.

Event comments:

2015. This was my first Tri and this was a great venue. Very well organized, good location and facility, plenty of volun-tolds and proceeds go to support a Marine Corps charity so win-win. Very forgiving course for first timer. No elitist attitudes from other participants. Lots of fun.

Last updated: 2015-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:15 | 500 yards | 03m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/33
Overall: 0/481
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Out, over , and back to the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:36
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:02:15 | 18 miles | 17.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/33
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Out and back same route
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:59 | 05 kms | 05m 12s  min/km
Age Group: 15/33
Performance: Average
Course: Starts up long incline out of transition and weaves around small area of the Hover craft area. Several 180 changes of direction. One aid station.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-08-04 1:05 AM

User image

Subject: Semper Tri Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Semper Tri Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Camp Pendleton Sprint Tri

Started by Slowboy3094
Views: 1154 Posts: 1

2010-08-18 6:00 PM Slowboy3094

Started by Lar Dog
Views: 1043 Posts: 1

2010-08-15 7:38 PM Lar Dog

Started by jpf5911
Views: 1204 Posts: 1

2010-08-11 11:40 AM jpf5911

Started by elheffe99
Views: 2363 Posts: 12

2007-08-16 8:47 PM milaminute

Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon

Started by bballer2tri
Views: 1541 Posts: 1

2006-08-21 3:06 PM bballer2tri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.