General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tapering Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-06 1:46 PM

User image

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Subject: Tapering
I have a olym tri in 5 weeks that i have been training for. Im Looking for some ideas on how people taper. I used to taper as a distance swimmer in highschool and I only needed a week. I'm 26 now and I've built more muscle since. I know that tapering is highly specific to the individual but I don't want to rely on how I used to taper as a scrawny 18yo preparing for a mile swim. Anyone want to post their ideas or their taper program they use before race day?

2015-08-06 1:59 PM
in reply to: jckcrlln

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Tapering
Originally posted by jckcrlln

I have a olym tri in 5 weeks that i have been training for. Im Looking for some ideas on how people taper. I used to taper as a distance swimmer in highschool and I only needed a week. I'm 26 now and I've built more muscle since. I know that tapering is highly specific to the individual but I don't want to rely on how I used to taper as a scrawny 18yo preparing for a mile swim. Anyone want to post their ideas or their taper program they use before race day?

The answer really is...it depends, but I will try to give you some basic info.

First off all, understanding as you do that it is individual, note that it does take trial and error to figure out what works for YOU.

That said, tapering is all about feeling FRESH, you are not chasing fitness, you are not trying to get faster/stronger, you are trying to rest, recover, and maximize your performance for one day. Don't chase numbers in your taper, chase the feeling of being fresh, so be loose with your plan don't follow it to a T.

3 Basic thoughts to consider:
1. Volume should drop
2. Intensity remains
3. Frequency of sessions remains or slightly increases

Depending how your goals, background, yadda yadda you can taper for 4-10 days to reach for a peak performance, but 4 is definitely on the short end.

And the best, least expensive, and often set aside priority in your taper is SLEEP.
2015-08-06 2:44 PM
in reply to: #5133452

User image

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Subject: RE: Tapering
Thanks alot. Good advice. I'll keep those thoughts in mind
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tapering Rss Feed