Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Owning a second/vacation/rental home Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-07 9:54 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Owning a second/vacation/rental home

Husband and I are considering buying a condo in Hawaii.   Our goals are real estate investment, rental potential, and long-term retirement spot for us.   We would hope to use it ourselves a few times a year, our ideal is the potential to telecommute for work for long stretches in the winter.  At the least we park our money for 20 years.

I wondered if anyone had advice about this, particularly real life anecdotes.  I know the choice of location and property will cause there to many variables, but I wondered just in a general way about comments.  We would hire a management company to handle maintenance and rentals.

When I watch people do this on International House Hunters, I always wonder if it ends up being more trouble than it's worth. But I don't know anyone really in this position personally. Lots of our friends/family have cabins, but they are only a few hours away and driveable regardless.  Island life is a whole other level!

2015-08-07 2:59 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Owning a second/vacation/rental home
Hi Emily!

We (wife and I) have talked about it many times and even looked at property in CA and Hawaii, but feel we probably won't buy a vacation/retirement home for several reasons:

1. Too much hassle. Condo maintenance, etc. wouldn't be too bad, but the HOA on a condo diminishes any rental income by quite a bit.
2. We would rather try out and stay in different places for parts of the year/different years: One winter in Hawaii, one in Palm Springs, month in Spain, January in Costa Rica, etc.
3. With all the good and varied rental market options - AIRBNB, CL, VRBO, etc. - it is easy to check out and review places.
4. We already have the family cabin as a second home, and that is more than enough maintenance/hassle for us.

I am not a big proponent of buying real estate as an investment unless you are a pro and it is your job or you can be really hands on, like with a local rental home or something, and you have the time and expertise to manage it. If you want real estate exposure in your portfolio, a REIT is a better way to go in my opinion, especially if you can get in on a private one, as their real estate appreciation is usually greater than with a public REIT. We have 15 - 20% of our portfolio in real estate through REITs.

Here is a recent article on it:

http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/mutual-funds/article...

Especially relevant paragraph on vacation homes:

Vacate vacation homes.
Just because you can kick back at a recreational abode doesn’t mean profits will recreate themselves. “Vacation homes are nothing more than a whimsical retreat and a low-tier income option,” says Kurt Westfield, managing director of WC Equity Group, based in Tampa, Florida. “Seasonally, they do have the capacity to generate decent returns, but the vacancy and holding costs coupled with typically premium pricing tend to equate to a less-than-stellar rate of return.”

That said, if you really LOVE the place and want to spend a lot of time there in the future and can afford it, go for it!

Long term, we will sell our big home and get a small home or condo more in the city, spend a lot of the summer at the cabin, and various places we like or want to experience in the winter.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Owning a second/vacation/rental home Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Owning a rental property

Started by Climbinggonzo
Views: 999 Posts: 8

2012-09-26 9:02 AM jldicarlo

Vacation homes versus vacations Pages: 1 2

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 3887 Posts: 48

2012-01-05 3:00 PM Chuckhead

Looking for Lakeside or Mountain Vacation Rental/Cabin Ideas

Started by OldAg92
Views: 5698 Posts: 14

2008-05-06 7:58 PM Medusa_Ann

IF YOU OWN A HOME... Pages: 1 2

Started by PeterAK
Views: 1935 Posts: 40

2008-01-26 2:04 PM SauseEnte

Vacation rental needed

Started by westwoodrnr
Views: 492 Posts: 3

2007-01-15 10:23 AM Tri Take Me Away
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 0
Have you finished your first triathlon and are about to do your second? This article will give you several tips to improve.

date : July 13, 2011
author : DaveScott
Dave Scott, six-time Hawaii Ironman world champion, shares his insights and plenty of stories to help you define your own success.
date : December 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
A quick and easy 20 minute at home strength training workout. This is a freeweight workout, so only a few dumbbells are needed.