DRC Sports
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 42s
Overall Rank = 131/221
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:45 so we could leave for the race at 4:30. (Life would be SOOOO much easier if it were closer to home!) Had breakfast, then Bob and I got bikes and gear into the car & drove up. Coffee was a part of this, of course. Set up transition area then concerned myself with bathroom, warmup, getting off my feet as much as possible, etc.
Event warmup:

Did very little jogging; just enough to warm up. Bad foot day, so I found a place to lay down for a while and elevate my foot. About 15 minutes before race start I did a swim out to the last buoy and back to shore.
Swim
  • 08m 51s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very happy with the swim. Felt relaxed. I did get one person give me a hard ear-clap which REALLY was not comfortable, which was strange because it wasn't particularly crowded. Other than that it was great.
What would you do differently?:

Not get ear-clapped.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Very good T1.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 51m 4s
  • 16 miles
  • 18.80 mile/hr
Comments:

That was just awful.

I guess I have to do more interval and solo work instead of so many group rides in training. I am not really sure.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

I don't concern myself with massive speed anymore, but I still feel like I do okay in the transitions. I was very surprised that when I got in to re-rack my bike there was a young man sitting on the ground getting his running shoes on. He was racked next to me, but being a young man, he started the race at least 9 minutes ahead of me. Being that I got out of transition before he did, I guessed he must be a beginner.

Nothing.
Run
  • 31m 25s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Had to do a lot of walking today. My foot was killing me from the time I got up this morning. I hate getting passed because I have to walk! YUK!

With about 1/3 mile left to go in the race I was walking AGAIN, and of course people were passing me. Then a woman passed me and on her calf was a "51". OMG, SHE'S IN MY AGE GROUP! I couldn't let another person from my own age group pass me, so I started jogging again. I don't CARE how my foot feels, I had to pass her. About 5 meters before the finish line I finally got ahead of her. Beat her by one second! That was my victory for the day.
Post race
Warm down:

As always, a dip in the nice refreshing ocean helps my muscles feel better and the swelling in my foot even goes down for a while (until I have to walk on it agian!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

With the bad foot I can't really train much, and it was an overall bad foot day.

Last updated: 2015-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:51 | 440 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 0/221
Performance: Good
Actual swim was 7:12. Their timer didn't transfer to transition time until after I got up the beach and into the parking lot.
Suit: tri-suit
Course: Out to first buoy, then parallel to shore, then back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:51:04 | 16 miles | 18.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/8
Performance: Average
Bike was awful. I felt horrible, like I was pushing as hard as I could but unable to maintain any type of speed.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Same as previous Jax series
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:25 | 03 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/8
Performance: Average
Course: Same neighborhood route as previous races in the series.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-08-10 12:56 PM

, Alabama
Subject: Jax Tri Series #3
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jax Tri Series #3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jax Tri Series #2

Started by snikpos
Views: 788 Posts: 1

2014-07-21 10:36 AM snikpos

Jax Tri Series #1

Started by snikpos
Views: 993 Posts: 2

2014-06-26 12:06 AM ropkins

Jax Tri Series #3

Started by rjrankin83
Views: 957 Posts: 1

2012-08-06 5:31 AM rjrankin83

Jax Tri Series Sprint #3

Started by snikpos
Views: 1976 Posts: 4

2009-08-14 2:28 AM ropkins

Jax Tri Series #3

Started by ropkins
Views: 954 Posts: 2

2009-08-12 9:47 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.