General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plans to increase speed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-11 7:44 AM

Subject: Training plans to increase speed
Well I just completed my first triathlon... a super sprint.

I didn't drown... and came in the top 15%... not bad considering I didn't train too hard.

Now, next year I want to go faster & also do a sprint distance. There are plenty of training plans out there, but I'm searching for one that will make me faster, not just be able to complete the distance. Does anyone know of a good (and simple to follow) training plan to get faster over super-sprint/sprint distance? Or separate Swim/Bike/Run plans that focus on increasing speed?

Thanks

2015-08-11 9:52 AM
in reply to: Flameangel

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Training plans to increase speed

Any training you do should be able to increase your speed in a triathlon by improving your endurance.  Even a sprint tri is an endurance race.  Of course, a plan that uses a mix of intensities will likely be the most effective for an athlete doing any distance triathlon.  The best one for you will depend more on your current fitness/ability than anything else.  You want a plan that that can create progressive overload in your training in order to create the adaptations to build your endurance and speed.  Find a plan that begins at a level you are comfortable with doing today and that has a schedule that you can meet on an ongoing basis.  Consistency is the biggest factor in the success of any training program, so the "on an ongoing basis" point is key.  There are many decent plans available on BT or elsewhere that should meet your needs.  If you have some more specific questions, ask away.

2015-08-11 2:04 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Pro

Best way to increase your speed is through

Consistency, and

Volume.

Yeah - you do need to add some intensity in there to help lift your lactate threshold, but mostly, as noted above, it's about endurance.  So, be consistent, slowly increase your volume.  Take down (lower volume) weeks every few weeks.  and:

Run:  Mostly easy, sometimes hard

Bike:  Sometimes hard, sometimes easy

Swim:  Mostly Hard, sometimes easy

2015-08-11 3:03 PM

Thanks guys.

I am going to get some swim coaching as I'm pretty sure just bad technique is slowing me down there.

I've not done much training on the bike, but I've done a bit of running... and I never get faster however much (or little I train). I run pretty consistently a little faster than 10kph what ever the distance. 2.5K/14mins, 5K/28mins, 10K/55mins, 1/2 mara/2hrs ... I never get faster or slower, so I must be doing something wrong!
2015-08-11 4:01 PM

Interval training will increase your speed on the bike. 10-15 minute warm-up followed by 4x 30sec hard/60sec easy than you can you can start your intervals and finish with a cool down. Do this once a week and also do a long ride on weekends (1:30-2:00hrs). If you can throw in a bike strength day were you do the intervals at a low cadence in a high gear.

Swim more intervals. Use pull buoy and paddles if possible. Also use a kick board. Don't forget the cool down.

Run again warm up and do fartlek and intervals with a cool down.

If you need a training planning look into Sansego.co, their Olympic plan shaved 9:00 minutes off my Sprint time.
2015-08-11 4:03 PM

Interval training will increase your speed on the bike. 10-15 minute warm-up followed by 4x 30sec hard/60sec easy than you can you can start your intervals and finish with a cool down. Do this once a week and also do a long ride on weekends (1:30-2:00hrs). If you can throw in a bike strength day were you do the intervals at a low cadence in a high gear.

Swim more intervals. Use pull buoy and paddles if possible. Also use a kick board. Don't forget the cool down.

Run again warm up and do fartlek and intervals with a cool down.

If you need a training planning look into Sansego.co, their Olympic plan shaved 9:00 minutes off my Sprint time.

2015-08-11 4:09 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

How much do you train?  If you just train the 12 or 16 or whatever weeks for a race and then stop until the next season/race, you will make only modest progress.  Consistency over time is the most important part.  Then add some variety to your training paces.  If you tend to do all your training at one steady pace, it will be hard to push yourself to hold a faster pace in a race.

2015-08-11 4:26 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

How much do you train?  If you just train the 12 or 16 or whatever weeks for a race and then stop until the next season/race, you will make only modest progress.  Consistency over time is the most important part.  Then add some variety to your training paces.  If you tend to do all your training at one steady pace, it will be hard to push yourself to hold a faster pace in a race.

^^^^x2

it really depends on where you are.  it's easy to say "do more intervals/intensity", but if you need is just additional consistency and volume, then Intervals are most likely just going to get you injured.  It's all about the base, bout the base, bout the base.

Once you've got a good base- then yes, by all means, add some intensity sessions.

2015-08-11 6:17 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Read JK's posts - at least twice.

Specific advice requires a lot more information about your current training and background. However, the answer is going to involve much more than just do intervals.

Shane
2015-08-11 6:59 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

Sarasota, Florida
At my current training it's the race strategy I'm trying to figure out.

On 5k and 10k runs, I like to start slow, quickly fall back, then after some decided time, reach my race tempo where I begin passing groups, then on my last stretch I like to go all out and sprint through the finish line. History shows I score better times using this method but maybe it's due to a lack of better training.

I don't know how this strategy will work for a triathlon. Do I start each event slowly, building but save some energy for the next event, or can I rely on the next event's change in impact to allow me to go harder near the end of each event? Before I did my first brick, even a light swim and ride would destroy my run pace, but after building some endurance I feel I have energy leftover at the end so I'm wondering how I should change my strategy.

Here lately it seems to be centered around the bike. Just maintain tempo on each event, but figure out the wind, hills, and turns with better body positioning and gear shifting. Then the swim on a sprint is so short, I'm not sure if I should take it easy then immediately go all out on the bike, or knock the swim out with intensity then ease into the bike? but I think with the overall distance, committing to a good tempo on each will be best. The technicalities of triathlon make it such an interesting sport!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plans to increase speed Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running speed increase - triathlon training rocks

Started by b2run
Views: 1501 Posts: 9

2013-10-24 10:55 AM summerk

Increased Training - Increased problems with Alchohol Pages: 1 2 3

Started by misscullen
Views: 4550 Posts: 59

2010-11-08 5:40 AM UrsusAdiposimus

Running Help !! how to increase my speed

Started by Tring at 44
Views: 1073 Posts: 8

2006-07-22 6:20 AM RedCorvette

Question about increasing speed with the use of Heart Rate Monitor

Started by ImTriing
Views: 1118 Posts: 13

2005-12-19 1:15 PM TH3_FRB

Increasing bike speed tips needed!

Started by ODogg
Views: 804 Posts: 15

2004-08-13 11:21 PM madcow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.
date : December 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Spice up your training! Improve your VO2 max and threshold. If you are using this plan during the winter, you can start your specific training in the spring with a nice improvement in your speed.

date : January 16, 2008
comments : 4
This article outlines ways to increase your running cadence while also getting the benefits of reduced injury.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 2
When we do or don’t use the treadmill is not so much the issue as to how we use it. When is it appropriate to use a treadmill for your workouts?

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 0
A 12 week, 1 race plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.
date : December 12, 2004
author : econway
With my first triathlon scheduled for March, when should I start to worry/concentrate on getting faster? And how do I get faster?

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
I decided to list a few interesting workouts to increase speed.