General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM training and skin protection Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-18 7:15 AM

User image

Subject: IM training and skin protection
I recently relocated to Miami and am also training for a 70.3 in Oct. and an IM in August 2016. I do a fair bit of training indoors, however, I like to do my long sessions outdoors. As the UV index in Miami at the moment is 10+ and I do not want to leave here looking like a leather bag I was wondering if people had tips and favorite products for skin protection- I tend to sweat a lot (like more than normal) if that factors in at all.

Thanks!

2015-08-26 7:27 AM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: IM training and skin protection
For runs, I mostly start really early so I'm simply not out in the full sunlight. I don't think I'm ever running much past 8 AM here in Saigon, except for brick runs. For those, I usually wear a tech shirt (or the bike jersey I rode the bike in) and cooling sleeves with sun protection. For outdoor rides, again, jersey and sleeves. As far as products,I find that none of them totally prevent sunburn in fair-skinned people, or tanning/freckling on myself (kind of light olive skin that tans if I even think about sun). Products with some mineral sunblock (such as titanium or zinc oxide) tend to do a bit better than others, especially if it's very humid. Banana Boat makes a stick type sunscreen for faces that really seems to work on my lips, nose, even cheeks. I basically just smear it all over my face, and it seems to work well even when wet (and I get REALLY sweaty here). It's actually much more effective than any creams or sprays. I have pretty sensitive skin on my face and am allergic to a lot of soaps, much less sunscreens, but this is one of the few products that doesn't bother me. It's unscented so that helps. Before finding that product I mainly used zinc oxide cream for my face.

If IM length workouts make being out in the mid-day sun difficult to avoid, you might consider splitting them into outdoor and indoor components. Either start indoors, before first light, on the trainer or treadmill, and head out at first light for the outdoor part of the run/ride/brick, or do part of the run/ride outdoors and then head indoors for the rest by 9 AM or so. (Or you could ride late afternoon and run in the dark.) My long rides are only in the 3 to 3:30 range, but I often do the first hour inside on the trainer (from maybe 5 or 5:30 AM on), then head outside to finish up the ride. That also allows me to get in the brick run before it gets to be crazy hot....in theory, at least.

Hope this is helpful.
2015-08-26 5:29 PM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: IM training and skin protection
Definitely not an easy task. I live in Hawaii and have a similar issue.

Good sunscreen with Zinc helps a lot. I typically use Planet Sun. Also always use a good lip balm with sunscreen.

Arm sleeves work well for the bike and run. I can stay pretty covered up with a bike jersey and short sleeve run top using arm sleeves.

Also I always wear a hat for the run.

Trying to get the workouts done in the times away from peak sun helps a lot. Getting out real early is key.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM training and skin protection Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Half IM to Half IM training question...

Started by schott2
Views: 1009 Posts: 1

2010-05-25 3:26 PM schott2

IM Lou training:Taylorsville 1/2 IM

Started by bravo1
Views: 1100 Posts: 4

2008-03-18 7:51 AM maura9900

Best first IM and longest training ride for IM

Started by TimmyMay
Views: 1503 Posts: 8

2006-07-12 10:47 PM westfried

1/2 IM as training 4 weeks before IM

Started by prof40
Views: 1382 Posts: 4

2014-02-26 3:44 PM jonnyo

Training up to the actual IM Training Plan

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 1418 Posts: 6

2005-08-29 5:16 PM mikericci
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 11, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
Does compression clothing really work? Coach AJ was able to try out a line of compression wear by Skins during the 2008 Annual Hawaii Ironman Triathlon.

date : November 3, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
While not the most pleasant topic, saddles sores are a common phenomenon within the cycling community. Learn what causes saddle sores and how to prevent them from occurring.
date : July 3, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 1
There are other risks that may not be perceived because of their long term nature. This article deals with one of those, the risk of developing skin cancer.

date : December 12, 2004
author : CLLinIA
comments : 1
What you can do to clean up your local swimming hole and keep it clean!