General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First -Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-18 10:34 AM

User image

New user
Subject: My First -Tri
Hi, not sure if Im posting this in the right area, but I wanted to share my experience. Been a member of BT since 2006 and did my first sprint triathlon this past Sunday (Dorado PR), Ive motivate a group of friend to do Sprints, oli and 70.3 but never did any my self, well this past Sunday was my first and I have to say, after all the nerves, stress, ridiculous goals and mind sets came across a person that told me do not look at the time, dont pay attention to who passes you or is faster. just enjoy your tri, have fun....
Well Sunday morning my mindset was completely different, I wanted to have FUN, this was not a job, it was something I really wanted to do and enjoy and boy did it make a difference.
My swim was 16:30 my plan was to start at the back away from the mass, but got overly exited and left with the first group, after a few kicks and goggle slaps, found my groove and a nice spot and had no trouble on the swim.
Transition # 1 was fun (4:04), could not find my bike, forgot what I wanted to put on first second and third but had a blast
My bike time was 48:46, I know slow, but instead of focusing on been the fastest on the road, i tried not to stop, not to go below 14 mph, and it felt good, did had some trouble with the front derailer, took out the chain once and could not use my smaller gears, but still was awesome ride.
Transition # 2 was faster (2:22) i found my rhythm got my running shoes on and out we go....
My run was slooooowwwwww (39:22) I have to admit that I hate running, it is not my favorite part, so I did my run / walk / power walk for the 5K

Anyway, I know is not anything amazing or out of this world but as my first experience I had so much fun, and enjoy so much that it did not feel I was ever out of gas, or worried about not finishing..
Have a great one!!

(unnamed (1).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
unnamed (1).jpg (45KB - 6 downloads)

2015-08-18 11:10 AM
in reply to: torombolo

User image

Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: My First -Tri
Great Job!!! Getting the first one out of the way is a tough challenge. So are you have you been bitten with the Triathlon bug, or will this be a one off?
2015-08-18 11:30 AM

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
Congrats. Looked like you did well for the first race. Onto the next one...
2015-08-18 11:37 AM

User image

New user
Did get the bug, Im looking at the next sprint for Oct.
2015-08-18 11:41 AM
in reply to: lake

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Congratulations on your first tri!

2015-08-18 12:34 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Awesome job! Congratulations!
Mary

2015-08-18 1:04 PM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Congratulations!
2015-08-18 2:01 PM

Thanks for posting, and congrats!!!

This was great to read as I am about to do my first tri ever (a sprint also). In looking at last year's times and based on practicing going from the bike to the run, I was disheartened to see that I'm likely going to finish last for my age group. Like you, running and I do not get along. We can be in the same room together but she really gets angry when I bike before her and she let's me know what she things about that. So much so, that I'm a good 2 mins/mile slower than the slowest runner from last year... And even while the bike and I have a lot of fun together, it is more of a casual relationship and we prefer romps in the wooded trails rather than pacing it out on the pavement. My average MPH looks to put me near the bottom of the pack as well. My only saving grace is swimming. We get along great and have been intimate since before I was 8 (some 36 years ago). We broke up in college where I wanted to see beer and things but got back together here and there over the years until this year where we've really gotten serious again. Sure, we aren't what we once were, but we can put it together long enough to do well in a 400M swim.

I'm glad to hear you had a blast and were able to not focus on times. I need to remember this is all about having fun and meeting my goal of finishing a triathlon in 2015. From this experience I will learn what I need to work on to improve and move on to longer distances (or learn that sprint distances are just fine for me, lol).

2015-08-18 2:31 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

That is awesome... Congrats!

2015-08-18 3:12 PM

User image

New user
Thanks everyone, stipey glad to hear you like my story and can relate, I have to be honest, If I had done the event with last week frame of mind, today I would not want to do anything with Tri's, but having enjoyed it so much Im glad I did and can look forward for more events to come, still only looking at sprints, but Im happy with that!!!!
2015-08-18 4:44 PM

User image

Chicago, Illinois
I don't really like the phrase "still only looking at Sprints". The Sprint distance is hard and anyone that says otherwise is not pushing themselves hard enough.

2015-08-18 6:27 PM
in reply to: #5135591

User image

New user
I agree, but in my personal uneducated 300% newbie mind, the psych of a 70.3 over a sprint is overwhelming and I can see my self progressing more sticking to sprint than now going all out for a 1/2 or full. But thats just me, I know sort of my limits LoL
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First -Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First tri, First Post, First batch of questions :)

Started by Chris(NJ)
Views: 1422 Posts: 11

2011-07-29 8:41 AM japarker24

First Tri -- First DNF

Started by feagajk
Views: 1441 Posts: 14

2005-08-22 1:39 PM Mottyl

First Team and First Tri

Started by Carl Sohn
Views: 808 Posts: 1

2005-03-14 8:13 PM Carl Sohn

First Olympic TRI (First TRI Period!!!!)

Started by satchmo72
Views: 1306 Posts: 12

2004-09-08 12:30 AM Tori

Finished my FIRST in my first tri!

Started by HBchinadoll
Views: 969 Posts: 3

2004-05-28 3:37 PM Whizzer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!

date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
comments : 0
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.